Movelite XL

lancepar

Any tips on assembling these drive away awnings as the instructions on the carry bag are not very helpful.

In particular feeding the poles through the sleeves, best done on the ground or what.

Did a dry run on the back yard the other day as a practice :-D

B-)

Feed the poles through the sleeves on the ground. When you attach the clips to get it into shape be aware of the stress that is put on the poles and hold the pole whilst doing so as this relieves the stress a bit. It gets easier the more times you put it up.

Good luck.

We used to live in the Delph in Brierley Hill, back in the early 70s.

Its changed a lot up there, wse hardly recognised the area when we visited some old friends a couple of years back.

David

Hi Lance

You might find it useful to have a read of the below postings:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24752&posts=16

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26497&posts=22

Basically, to put the awning up:

1. Always erect it do it AWAY from the van though - if a pole slips you don't want a dent in your pride and joy!!! 8-)

2. Lay it out on the ground and slot in both poles fully (don't attempt to put them in to the end holders yet).

3. Once you've got both poles in put the end of each one into the holders, then carefully tension each one and put the remainimg end of each poles into its holder - if it appears that the materials is too tight/the pole too long, try pushing the material along the length of the pole to encourage it along/smooth any 'gathering' out - this usually works.

4. Once up you can then move it next to your van and attach it as suggested in the attached threads.

Seemed easier with it flat but we couldn't see how "it will form into a dome" as per the instructions.

Going to have another play soon as I need to know what size and length connecting bead to get, it came with the figure of eight strips.

Looking forward to our first outing Easter, lots of things will be different to caravaning.

The Delph aint changed much, probably still got the most Pubs in half a mile. (lol)

Thanks

B-)

I remember reading the messages on the links, but couldn't find them when I searched.

We deliberated a lot before deciding we needed an awning, wifeys hobby is Obedience Dog shows, so we are somewhere competing most weekends and without our estate car, need somewhere as a wet room for us and the dogs while drying them off. And also as a store room.

We found our Porch Awning very useful on the caravan, but it was a framed type and not that lightweight.

Thanks

B-)

You all missed the 2 key bits:

- with the poles fed in and BEFORE tensioning to form the dome, attach the little square of fabric which covers the centre vent where the poles cross...it's all-but-impossible to do it afterwards, and a lot of work to undo if you've pegged down before noticing your earlier error, and

- probably obvious to ex-tenters/ex-caravanners who had awnings, but the pin on the key-ring style loop that attaches the fabric to the poles hence tensioning the awning, should fit *inside* the end of the pole : we initially thought the pole went through the key-ring style loop, which gives the illusion of tension until the wind gets up and it slides along the pole.

The vent flap was already on our new awning, so no problem there, why take it off I wonder (?)

I found that the pins did not go into the end of the poles the same amount, is that a problem, can't see a solution because the bungy cord is knotted in there, so can't extend the apeture any further. (^)

B-)

Rosbotham - 2012-03-20 11:57 PM

Guess they must have changed the design after complaints...on my Movelite XL the flap over vent where the poles cross is clipped on with four cords. Doesn't have that vent permanently affixed cause issues with threading the poles through?

Still clipped, will have a go with it removed next time and see.

B-)

• 2 weeks later...
We have just bought this awning and had a trial run in the garden. Got the awning up but are at a loss as how to connect it to the Motorhome. We have an Autotrail Apache 700. We have the extra bits you need to attach it but no instructions. Help?

It will depend on what's fitted on your van...

If you've got a windout awning fitted,it can be connected to the front of that,although you may need a "bead adaptor"(..shown towards the bottom on here:

http://www.fishbrain.biz/acatalog/awning-attachments.html )

If you haven't ,then I suppose apart from fitting an awning rail or J moulding,then the easiest way it to just throw straps over the roof and peg them down on the far side of the van(..having said that,when I tried that method,I found the strap got caught/tangled around roof lights/vents).

Edit:Moiray..Just noticed on another post,that you've got a Fiamma,so one/some of the recognised attachments should sort you out.. ;-)

Just to expand a little - to connect to the van without the throw-over straps you need a drive away kit which consists of a couple of plastic figure of eight strips and a lenght of double bead tape known as Kador Gusset which comes in 6mm bead both edges and 6mmx4mm sizes.

My recent MoveliteXL came with free figre of eight strips and I have just got a 2m long lenght of 6x4mm bead. I understand the Fiamma wind out cannopy takes a 4mm bead, fingers crossed, going out now to check :-(

B-)

BTW

The bead is attached to the van, the awning bought up to position so that the figure of eight strips can be used to join the tunnel to the bead.

Yet to do this myself, in my case it is suggested the canopy is wound down so attaching the bead is within reach, join the tunnel, wind back in the caopy then move the awning away to tension the tunnel. I think that about covers it *-)

lancepar - 2012-04-02 2:45 PM

Just to expand a little - to connect to the van without the throw-over straps you need a drive away kit which consists of a couple of plastic figure of eight strips and a lenght of double bead tape known as Kador Gusset which comes in 6mm bead both edges and 6mmx4mm sizes.

My recent MoveliteXL came with free figre of eight strips and I have just got a 2m long lenght of 6x4mm bead. I understand the Fiamma wind out cannopy takes a 4mm bead, fingers crossed, going out now to check :-(

B-)

Yeah,the Fiamma-compatible strip is third up from the bottom,on that Fishbrain link I posted above...

(..although the one photo appears to show it fitted to an Omnistor awning,with the "awning groove" on the inside..?(..the "groove" was on the outside on the Fiamma we had....unless of cause they vary between models..)

lancepar - 2012-04-02 4:23 PM

Just checked, bead on my wind-out is 4mm, but it's an Omnistor 5002, doh, and the groove is on the inside aswell :-D

B-)

Oh..that's odd..because we connect our Outdoor Revolution Easiporch & Easicanopy,straight into the internal groove on our Omnistor(with no adaptor strips)..so I thought that would make the Omnistor "groove" the "standard" 6mm... :-S

(..it's certainly bigger than the external "groove" we had on previous Fiamma..because it was too small to accept the bead on the awning & canopy...)

Hi we have a 115 and use the Movelite XL ( see earlier link!!) i was just wondering how they are fixed to the van. At the moment we throw the straps over the roof or use stand alone. The rail on the elddis vans is used as a joining strip and is not an awning rail, but would the figure 8 piping fit?

The fig' of 8 stuff is meant for hooking into gutters,J rails etc,so should do the job..

We used to use it to fix a porch awning and canopy onto our first Duetto(Transit PVC)and although it hooked into the gutter okay,it was a bit fiddly to set up and was inclined to flip off,if the wind got under it... :-S

Personally,if you're managing with the straps(..and they don't get tangled around vents & rooflights),then I'd stick with them...;-)

(..We had a Compass120(similar to yours',only rear lounge)..and I was wrongly remembering the mouldings as being of the "awning rail" type..but having read your post,I now recall they were just a drip moulding.... :$ )

Archived