Interesting 'mini coachbuilt' test in MMM mag

Mel B

I've just read the article comparing the Nu Venture Nu Surf and the Romahome R20 and found it very interesting.

I expected the Romahome to 'win' the comparison test, however, it seems that it is just another slight 're-working' of existing Romahome models which have been around for a long time (nothing wrong with them I hasten to add) but not up to the usual quality and nothing really that new, with quite a hefty price tag but with some basic things missing such as no heating as standard ( realise it was a prototype but even so some of the things were very much below par).

The Nu Venture however came across as a stonking little motorhome for the money, with a lot of thought put into the design, albeit very similar to a 'typical' motorhome layout, but on a smaller scale. I must admit I was very taken with it and if we chose to downsize and don't need a fixed bed anymore, I would certainly consider it as it has the advantages of a small van conversion but with a bit more comfort IMV.

What do others think? :-S

A friend down the road has a New Venture 'Rio', Mel, very similar to the 'Surf' -- stonking little 'van -- no loo or wasbhroom though -- which would rule it out for us.

When I've seen Romahomes at shows they always looked 'the business' --shame if their standards are slipping. It's a pity that Autosleepers no longer make the 'Mezan', that was another stonking little mini-coachbuilt.

Colin.

P.S. If New Venture are good enough for Andy Stothert, then they can't be half bad!

Guest JudgeMental
A step to far (small) to me....i could never imagine being comfortable in a camper like that, or be able to carry enough stuff. Why do you need a van smaller then some cars?

Symbol Owner - 2012-03-19 9:09 AM

A friend down the road has a New Venture 'Rio', Mel, very similar to the 'Surf' -- stonking little 'van -- no loo or wasbhroom though -- which would rule it out for us.

When I've seen Romahomes at shows they always looked 'the business' --shame if their standards are slipping. It's a pity that Autosleepers no longer make the 'Mezan', that was another stonking little mini-coachbuilt.

Colin.

P.S. If New Venture are good enough for Andy Stothert, then they can't be half bad!

Not the same company

Symbol Owner - 2012-03-19 10:58 AM

Can you expand, Colin?, I thought that they were.

C.

With my present duf back and being unable to do much apart from stand, walk short distance and eat I'm expanding rapidly :-(

These are (where) quite seperate companies, quite how they got similier name I don't know.

The ones who made Andy's van had website www.nvcluxurymotorhomes.co.uk they converted panelvans, there website has been down for a long time and last I heard where not answering phone, so unless someone knows better I'd say they are no longer trading.

whiskers - 2012-03-19 1:24 PM

Andy's PVC was converted by NuVenture Campers, the Surf is built by NuVenture Motorhomes. They are both based in Wigan and were the result (afaik) of a split.

Was that before or after Andy had his van built ....! 8-) ;-) :D

Just some general observations on the type:

Carrying bikes is made difficult because of usual the position of the habitation access door.

Access between cabin and cab is often difficult.

Because they are usually on lighter chassis the rear suspension pogos around something cruel when moving about in the back.

None of these things are huge problems though and could probably be sorted if deemed necessary.

I do quite like the concept and some are well made. A decent small PVC alternative with advantages like better insulation and not having to compromise as much by building round structural components etc.

Crinkly ... the Nu Surf has the option of either a rear door or a side door now (no cost option) so you can have the side door and still have a bike rack fitted if you want, this should make it more appealing to those used to a 'standard' coachbuilt who are looking to go smaller. :-S

Ahh, you will have guessed by now I haven't actually seen the test. A side door option on the genre makes it even more appealing for me personally.

I definitely like the concept and can never resist having a sit in them at shows. If compact appeals, then I think there is much to commend them over PVCs.

Just another general point, if I were considering one I'd be drawn to a design as close to monocoque as possible: it's a superior design for so many reasons.

A while ago I bumped into a website that drew together the 'small camper' crowd and there were some super designs to be seen. A decent search engine should throw it up.

I've also seen some fascinating small coachbuilt Japanese imports, some even on 4x4 platforms, not everyone's bag admittedly but superbly capable go-anywhere machines no bigger than a small PVC.

Wellhouse Leisure recently commissioned a small Nu Venture shell on a Japanese import - another interesting option as they seem happy to do weird bespoke custom jobs.

Anyhow, rambling now, suffice to say I'm a fan generally.

Mel B - 2012-03-18 10:43 PM

I've just read the article comparing the Nu Venture Nu Surf and the Romahome R20 and found it very interesting.

The Nu Venture however came across as a stonking little motorhome for the money, with a lot of thought put into the design, albeit very similar to a 'typical' motorhome layout, but on a smaller scale.

Sorry Mel, but couldn't resist this one:- Your reference to your three 'monsters' "Farting for England", ( on a 'Chatterbox' thread) made me think that you were looking for a 'dog-kennel-on-wheels -- you and your 'hubby' would then draw lots to see which of you got to drive the 'fart wagon' and which drove the 'people-home' each day! A mini -coachbuilt looks as though it would 'fit the bill'! :D

Cheers,

Colin.

Nice one Colin! (lol)

Funnily enough, we are having a debate about the dogs just now ... when we take our MH for its habitation service at the end of the week we're going to have to leave it for some warranty repairs to be done, so are taking the car with us as well ... we're currently drawing straws as to who gets to take the dogs with them! :D

Let the dogs decide, open the door to both vehicles and see which they choose, or toss a coin?

we used to have a simular problem years ago when our kids were young, who was going to sit in the middle seat at the back.. long before seat belts I might add.

we laughed our heads off , when they had the same argument with their kids. as they also had 3

What goes around, comes around !!

Archived