Radio aerial for FIAT Ducato (Again)

Geoff Tuckley

I know that this subject has been covered before but I seem unable to find the relevant posts.

Like lots of others, our FIAT Ducato has the aerial for the onboard radio in the passenger side wing mirror. To say it is hopeless would be to give it too much credit. We have decided to fit a decent car radio aerial so we can get reception when we are going both north and south. I have been looking at the windscreen mounted types on e-bay as I could do without having to feed the aerial wire behind headlining or through that melee of wires behind the facia.

Would anyone who has used one of these please advise me as to how good they are or anyone who has any constructive information on the subject.

looking forward to hearing from you, there is always somebody on here who knows what to do.

Geoff

I will follow this post , as we also are thinking along the same lines, as ours is also useless, but ours is on the drivers side, and is right under the Luton overhang. Would you leave the old one in? as it would leave a hole in the wing, if removed. Our other alternative would be on the Luton side, but would be something else to catch on low over hangs. We are already over the 3 mtr , due to Sat dome .

PJay

Colin,

The problem with your aerial would be quite easy to remedy....

Use a long car wash brush to get behind the mast and pull it forward. These aerials are rubbish when they are lying flat against or close to the panel. Try to get it almost vertical and it makes a huge difference.

Nick

euroserv - 2012-03-20 5:04 PM

Colin,

The problem with your aerial would be quite easy to remedy....

Use a long car wash brush to get behind the mast and pull it forward. These aerials are rubbish when they are lying flat against or close to the panel. Try to get it almost vertical and it makes a huge difference.

Nick

Sounds like a plan to me.

Thanks, People,

Having looked at the options I think I shall just leave the stupid thing where it is and continue to play CDs.

Just thought it might be nice to listen to Radio 4 or such where you don't get the same 20 numbers being banged out all day. To extend the co-ax to the TV aerial would mean extending the co-ax the length of the van. I shall leave it as it is and put it on the list of "Why not to buy a FIAT next time".

Thanks again

I bought a replacement aerial from a supermarket in France for only a few Euros - I think it was Auchan in Boulogne, and it is exactly the same fitting as the Fiat one, BUT the aerial part is about 30cm longer. I swapped them over & the reception improved by a fair amount. It was intolerable, and is now just about acceptable.

May be worth a look if you are in France.

I installed the following aerial which I bought on Amazon for around £33 inc delivery - expensive, but works really well. Its easy to install if you take your time and follow the instructions, fits inside the screen which also helps with routing the cable to the set.

Blaupunkt FunLine Discs Antenna - Radio aerial - car - AM, FM

Its powered from the auto aerial lead on the back of the radio (and earthed) - works as well as a good quality traditional aerial

• 2 weeks later...
jhorsf - 2012-04-05 5:26 PM

mine is as nick said on the front of the roof and works fine if up right and not against the panel above

Thanks to nick have got ariel upright and get much better reception, although sony rds radio seems to struggle with swapping freqs so sometimes have to give it a 'nudge' to get it to lock on to a different transmitter.

Archived