Auto Marq. 3 year warranty from Marquis

Geoff. Mason

Has anybody any experience of dealing with this company?? I have now been waiting for some action 6 days after having correctly submitted a claim, following 5 telephone calls each time an average of 20minutes on hold, lots of promises to phone back in 10 minutes which actually happened at 5.30pm the following day. A patient local garage to me is now waiting for somebody to come and inspect the problem on the motorhome. My Auto-Sleeper Windsor was bought from Marquis in Preston in April 2010, has done 6.000miles since then, has had all the correct habitation/service etc carried out,so no reason to not get job sorted, why do they make life so difficult?? It needs a replacement control unit(the one inside the wardrobe) also a replacement pump to the Thetford toilet, Preston is quite a lot of gallons of diesal away from Penrith in Cumbria, although Marquis Service Preston does not seem too interested. Anybody any suggestions or does anybody know the CEO of Auto Marq?????

Guest Tracker

I've bought several used vans from Marquis over the years and whilst I've only ever had their one year warranty I've always found both the warranty and the company very good to deal with and warranty claims sorted and settled properly.

There can be a delay whilst parts are sourced sometimes but this is not necessarily the fault of Marquis.

Try talking to the salesman who did the deal for you

Guest Tracker

I have known Marquis to supply spares for fitting locally or DIY - such as a Sargant control panel or a Thetford water pump that are simples to fit - when you are a long way from their nearest branch.

Sometimes they don't even want the broken bits returned and it helps if you have a local 'expert' opinion that the fault has been correctly diagnosed.

If you have repeated journeys and no resolution of the problem see if they will give you a tank full of diesel for your troubles - but ask nicely!

• 1 year later...

hi..

i two have bought 5 used vans from marquis Poole in the past

ive now got a auto trail cheyenne,on a mercedes sprinter chassis.

its developed a fault,and i cant get it started,so cant take it to them

they have told me they cant recover it,as they have now way of doing so

if i get it recovered i have to pay for it.the problem started a month back,it would start,then cut out and would take ages to start.once i finally got it going it was ok. but if i left it for a day it did the same thing.

now it wont start at all. i cant use it or move it with out incurring costs.

its only done less than 1,000miles since i got it back in September 2012

its covered by the automarq,but they don't seem interested to try and sort it...

does any one know MR crouches contact number

ive tried before to call him but hes never at the head office

does anyone know what else i can do ???

HELP .... :-( :-(

Guest pelmetman

Oh dear :-S................I wonder if Marquis is starting to suffer from a spot of the B*****ills 8-)..........they have expanded rapidly over the last few years ;-).........I hope they're not taking their eye of the ball *-)

Edit to add........ just noticed this is a resurrected thread ;-)

mike d - 2013-03-26 5:08 PM

hi..

i two have bought 5 used vans from marquis Poole in the past

ive now got a auto trail cheyenne,on a mercedes sprinter chassis.

its developed a fault,and i cant get it started,so cant take it to them

they have told me they cant recover it,as they have now way of doing so

if i get it recovered i have to pay for it.the problem started a month back,it would start,then cut out and would take ages to start.once i finally got it going it was ok. but if i left it for a day it did the same thing.

now it wont start at all. i cant use it or move it with out incurring costs.

its only done less than 1,000miles since i got it back in September 2012

its covered by the automarq,but they don't seem interested to try and sort it...

does any one know MR crouches contact number

ive tried before to call him but hes never at the head office

does anyone know what else i can do ???

HELP .... :-( :-(

I can't tell you Mike Crouch's personal telephone-number, if that's what you are looking for, and, to be honest, I'm not sure if phoning him would get you anywhere.

Does your AutoMarq warranty actually cover this sort of situation?

These warranties can be very restrictive and, if the contract's terms and conditions don't cover the cost of getting a vehicle that won't start to a place where it can be professionally inspected and the fault diagnosed/fixed, the warranty-provider won't normally fork out.

What have the Marquis people told you? If it's that the AutoMarq warranty doesn't cover paying to get your motorhome to them, and there's nothing in the warranty documentation to say that view is wrong, then you would need to bear the cost of getting your motorhome to Marquis yourself. As you've been a very loyal customer, you could use that fact to encourage them to refund the cost.

I assume you are a fair distance from Poole - otherwise Marquis might have been prepared to send someone out to look at your motorhome. I also assume you have no separate 'mechanical breakdown' insurance cover you could draw on.

Would it be possible to find a local garage that would recover your motorhome to their workshops and sort out the fault? If you had a problem with your motorhome several hundred miles away from Poole, surely the AutoMarq warranty terms and conditions would not demand that you take the vehicle to a Marquis branch to have it attended to? You would probably need to pay the local garage for their services and seek to reclaim the cost from Marquis, but the important thing at the moment (it seems to me) is to get the motorhome going.

It does need emphasising strongly that, to have a reasonable chance of getting repair-costs paid for under these types of warranty, you need to comply EXACTLY with the warranty's terms and conditions. There are plenty of pitfalls, so make 100% certain you've read the warranty, understood what is and isn't covered, and followed the instructions regarding making a claim.

Best I can offer, I'm afraid...

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-26 6:35 PM

I assume you are a fair distance from Poole - otherwise Marquis might have been prepared to send someone out to look at your motorhome. I also assume you have no separate 'mechanical breakdown' insurance cover you could draw on.

I am somewhat surprised that Marquis are unable to recover a motorhome? 8-)..........

Have to agree Marquis Preston have taken a leaf out of Brownfools book, at the middle of November last year I took my van into them for some minor body work to be carried out, went to collect it a week later and when inspecting the work it had originally gone in for I noticed more damage on the offside panel, when I pointed this out to the manager he said he was unaware of this and it looked like someone driving a blue car must have run into it on the car park and ripped the chrome trim off, found this hard to believe as the traces of blue paint remaining on the damaged panel are an exact match to the paint on the workshop door pillars, it looked to me as if some dip stick had tried to reverse it into the workshop and clipped the concrete door pillar then cleared off hoping no one would notice, the workshop manager agreed to repair damage FOC but would have to order the chrome trim and would give me a ring as soon as it was in stock, a month later I was still waiting for the phone call so I rang him only to be told that the part had not arrived yet and as it's coming up to Christmas he was not hopeful of it arriving until the week after christmas, 2 weeks after Christmas I rang him again, part has still not arrived but will give me a ring as soon as it does, it's now 26th March and I am still waiting for a phone call, going away for a few days over Easter but will go in and stir the sh one t up when I get back.

Phil

That one firm I would not touch again witha barge pole.

We bought our first new M/home of them, once we had signed the Cheque they were not interested in anything after that. We had 2 problems both took 6 months to fix. One of the problems they told me they had no evidence of me ever telling them about the problem, yet they were the ones that diagnosed the issue. The only way I got the work done under warrenty was to tell them that I would go to the factory and get the parts.

A friend had similar problems, between several of my friends and myself we could write a book about them.

Guest pelmetman
David Dwight - 2013-03-26 8:40 PM

That one firm I would not touch again witha barge pole.

We bought our first new M/home of them, once we had signed the Cheque they were not interested in anything after that. We had 2 problems both took 6 months to fix. One of the problems they told me they had no evidence of me ever telling them about the problem, yet they were the ones that diagnosed the issue. The only way I got the work done under warrenty was to tell them that I would go to the factory and get the parts.

A friend had similar problems, between several of my friends and myself we could write a book about them.

They've been around for a long time.............they even supplied Horace to the FIL 23 years ago ;-)................which was not without delivery on time problems....... or subsequent leaks 8-).......which involved several trips back to the dealer *-).................but they did sort them ;-)

Progress eh? (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2013-03-26 7:47 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-26 6:35 PM

I am somewhat surprised that Marquis are unable to recover a motorhome? 8-)..........

There's a difference between "unable to recover" (ie. "can't recover") and "not be prepared to arrange recovery".

I'm sure Marquis could arrange (and pay for) Mike D's Auto-Trail Cheyenne to be recovered to their Poole premises if they so chose. And, if this action were covered by the AutoMarq warranty, it's not unreasonable to expect they'd do this. They might do this reluctantly but, if the AutoMarq warranty does include recovery of a incapacitated motorhome to a Marquis dealership, it would be hard for Marquis to argue that they were not responsible for recovering the vehicle.

The original poster (Geoff Mason - who only posted once to this forum back in March 2012) was evidently based in Penrith, about 70 miles from the Marquis(Preston) dealership from which he had bought his Auto-Sleepers motorhome 2 years previously.

Unlike Mike D, Geoff's description of his problems suggests that his motorhome was not incapacitated (so he could have driven to Marquis(Preston) if he so wished) but it would appear a Marquis representative was going to visit Penrith to inspect Geoff's motorhome and that Geoff anticipated that a garage at Penrith would carry out the repairs.

I would have thought this would be the usual under-warranty approach if a motorhome could not be driven (or if repairs could be carried out locally), rather than recover the motorhome to a Marquis branch a long way from where the vehicle is located. I don't really understand why Mike D's motorhome should HAVE to go to a Marquis branch (unless this is specifically stated in the AutoMarq warranty - which would surprise me somewhat).

Slagging off Marquis generally (and specifically the Marquis(Preston) branch that has no involvement with Mike D's 26 March 2013 complaint) doesn't help Mike D. In 2012 Geoff Mason asked for comments on dealing with Marquis: in 2013 Mike D did not. As Mike has bought 5 motorhomes from Marquis(Poole) over the years it's reasonable to assume that (until now) he's been pleased with the service Marquis has provided.

Other than do as Mirage has suggested "...just keep plugging away but make sure you are RIGHT in anything you say", can anyone offer Mike any other helpful advice?

A friend of mine had problems, well lots of them, and eventually got so fed up with the response from Marquis that he detailed the whole sorry story and sent it to the MD plus a copy to the Marquis branch involved and stated that should they allow the situation to continue without resolve then he intended to publish the E-mail contents on all of the motorhome forums to which he belonged.

He was of course concerned with his own situation, but would not want others to suffer through ignorance of life in certain quarters.

The problems were then resolved, one hopes because the MD was unaware of the situation and not because of the effects of bad publicity. After all one lost sale could amount to a large amount of profit being lost.

No idea what the Auto Marq warranty covers or who is responsible.

Mike88 - 2012-03-19 6:46 PM

I'm surprised you are having problems. I have found Marquis to be an exceptional Company to deal with.

I have had dealings with their MD Mike Crouch who is helpful. Link to management here:

http://www.marquismotorhomes.co.uk/about-marquis[/quote

Is this man Mike Crouch the same person that was high up in the ranks and worked for the company SEA and traded out of Worcester or somewhere near there.

If so then I would not have very much confidence in him he is a wast of time when I had a problem with my motorhome A SEA Sharky he tried to deny every problem that I had and tried to backtrack on everything that I asked him and had to go to court for almost five years,

I finally won but it may have been sorted much sooner if he had told the truth in the beginning.

I would love to meet him and tell him just what I think of him the two faced git.

If he is not the same person responsible for my demise then I apologize

mike d - 2013-03-26 5:08 PMhi..i two have bought 5 used vans from marquis Poole in the pastive now got a auto trail cheyenne,on a mercedes sprinter chassis.its developed a fault,and i cant get it started,so cant take it to themthey have told me they cant recover it,as they have now way of doing soif i get it recovered i have to pay for it.the problem started a month back,it would start,then cut out and would take ages to start.once i finally got it going it was ok. but if i left it for a day it did the same thing.now it wont start at all. i cant use it or move it with out incurring costs.its only done less than 1,000miles since i got it back in September 2012its covered by the automarq,but they don't seem interested to try and sort it...does any one know MR crouches contact numberive tried before to call him but hes never at the head officedoes anyone know what else i can do ???HELP .... :-( :-(

Suprised no one has mentioned Sale of Goods act or Trading Standards yet.........I would be thumping someones desk pretty hard by now..........

Mickydripin - 2013-03-28 2:06 PM

I'm surprised you are having problems. I have found Marquis to be an exceptional Company to deal with.

I have had dealings with their MD Mike Crouch who is helpful. Link to management here:

http://www.marquismotorhomes.co.uk/about-marquis

Is this man Mike Crouch the same person that was high up in the ranks and worked for the company SEA and traded out of Worcester or somewhere near there.

If so then I would not have very much confidence in him he is a wast of time when I had a problem with my motorhome A SEA Sharky he tried to deny every problem that I had and tried to backtrack on everything that I asked him and had to go to court for almost five years,

I finally won but it may have been sorted much sooner if he had told the truth in the beginning.

I would love to meet him and tell him just what I think of him the two faced git.

If he is not the same person responsible for my demise then I apologize

Mike Crouch was one of the UK directors of Auto-Sleepers and Marquis when those companies were owned by the Italian SEA Group. The history is summarised here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Sleepers

The problem relating to your SEA Sharky was (in my view) unique and, as was proven by how long it took to resolve, extremely complex. Whatever your opinion of Mike Crouch, insulting him as you've just done invites a justifiable complaint to Warners and this thread being deleted. That would help nobody.

I'm not happy about my post being boxed within Mickeydripin post as some might think I was responsible for the insults. I have had nothing but exemplary service from Marquis and my dealings with Mike Crouch have been very positive. This is what I wrote:

http://www.marquismotorhomes.co.uk/about-marquis

The text below it is nothing to do with me.

RogerC - 2013-03-28 8:50 PMSuprised no one has mentioned Sale of Goods act or Trading Standards yet.........I would be thumping someones desk pretty hard by now..........

There's been no feedback from "mike d" since his original 26 March inquiry.My reading of that posting is that he was unable to start his motorhome (presumably parked at his home), that the vehicle had an AutoMarq warranty, and that he did not want to pay to have the vehicle transported to a Marquis branch.If mike d had been abroad and his motorhome had refused to start, I don't believe he would have expected Marquis to pay for repatriating the vehicle to a UK to be attended to. Logically, the problem would have been addressed locally and, if covered by the AutoMarq warranty, the repair costs would have been refunded to mike d. I don't know how the Sale of Goods Act applies to warranties, nor whether Trading Standards involves itself with such things. In mike d's case, it's really a question of the terms and conditions of the AutoMarq warranty and how they applied when his motorhome couldn't be started. The AutoMarq warranty definitely won't provide a 'blank cheque'.

If there is an ongoing problem with the Merc I would have thought that it would be resolved very quickly if the Merc main agent had worked on it. Some times you have to bite the bullit and move on. Some warranties tie you up in knots and aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

The Merc Chassis should have a service book I would have thought so the last service details should be stamped in it with the garages details. It would then be straight forward enough to contact them to establish some form of previous history. It could be something quite trivial thats causing the problem and not worth all the hassle of a warranty claim. If it turns out to be an expensive repair job then a warranty claim is obviously the way to go for reimbursment. One way or another it seems that a breakdown call out is needed to at least establish what might be wrong.

Archived