Fabrice Muamba

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

Is it me I wonder being a non football fan, who never heard the mans name before this weekend find it rather odd that so much news coverage has been given to this obviously tragic event for anyone and I wish him a speedy recovery, I lost a friend through a sudden cardiac arrest at an early age so it's not an unknown phenomena to me.

Yet fit and healthy young service men / women losing their lives almost everyday don't seem to be given the same weight, does that say something about us as a society. I'm not looking for a verbal bashing, just the view of others.

Hope the lad makes a full recovery . I do feel as a nation at times we do suffer from the Princess Diana type outpouring of grief etc . I would have to agree Malcolm without attempting to belittle what has happened to this lad that our service men and women dont seem newsworthy enough at times .

I think it is factor that he was in the limelight - it happened in full view of everyone both at the match and on TV.

Like it or not - when a young lad dies or is injured for his country it is not coverred like that on the telly.

So we note it and move on.

When someone you know and follow has a sudden illness in front of you the effect is more vivid I think.

Certainly not saying this is right - it just seems to be how we react.

Guest Tracker

Is it because he's not white?

Or is it because of the media obsession with football?

Either way I too find the over reporting a disgraceful abuse of air time in the name of political correctness gone even more mad.

Of cause we wish the bloke well...

...but I'm glad you chaps have mentioned this..I thought it was just me,who was finding all of the media coverage WAY over the top!? :-S ...

(..."...Hi yes..Here I am, STILL standing outside the London Chest Hospital...and STILL with nothing actually to report....."..) *-)

The world and the press appears to have gone mad, o/k the guy has a heart attack in a very public arena and of course we all wish him and everybody else who is ill a speedy and full recovery. But is this the most important thing happening in this country of ours or the world? no of course not. The media goes into sypathy overdrive IE: Princess Dianna mode and a large part of the populous follows. Why any sane person would think a 'tweet of sypathy' will do any good is beyond me, it is a bit like a facebook rememberence page which is style over substance. If people are that concerned instead of a quick 'tweet' that takes 5 seconds, go out buy a 'get well' card write on it and post it to him, as at least that takes some effort.

Dr Dave - 2012-03-20 12:51 PM

... Why any sane person would think a 'tweet of sypathy' will do any good is beyond me, it is a bit like a facebook rememberence page which is style over substance. If people are that concerned instead of a quick 'tweet' that takes 5 seconds, go out buy a 'get well' card write on it and post it to him, as at least that takes some effort.

...I think the reason good many respond/react to this kind of thing via Twitter or Facebook,is because they "can be seen" to be doing it...(..Hey!..just look how sympathetic I'm being..I must be a really good person..." *-) )(Edit: Only just heard on the news,that a 16 year old lad has collapased and died whilst playing rugby... :-S )

Same as you 1foot, I can't understand it.

I only commented to my wife, three days after the event, about them talking for about five minutes on our local BBC news and we are nowhere near Bolton.

It's very sad but it happens all the time and the news overkill on this incident doesn't make sense considering most people had never heard of him.

Thankfully it seems that he is making a slow recovery although my main concern at the time was of brain damage. If he makes a full recovery then a lot of people did a good job and he is now conscious and talking.

Archived