Breathalyzers

snailblazer

There are currently many mentions on the web about a new French law that requires drivers, in France, to carry with them a personal breathalyzer. This is to come into enforcement from the 1st of July. Penalty for non compliance is a €10 fine. Suitable breathalyzers (for the French limit) are available for about £5 for three. I have not seen anything about this in the touring press and discussion with friends suggest that this may be a scam. Has anyone any more news of this? :-(

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Information about this is in the current issue of The Caravan Club magazine.The current proposals, as far as CC can discover, are supposed to become effective on July 1st.

There has also been at least one thread about this running on this forum.

No, it's not an 'illegal Scam' , it's a perfectly ' legal Scam' by the French Government and 'unnamed' Breathalyzer manufacturers.

I think we should make it Compulsory that every vehicle driving in, and entering into the UK. carry a British Made and Kitemarked 'Harris tweed blanket' to use to keep Accident victims warm while they wait for an Ambulance ( 20mins- 3hrs.?). A 'Vital' piece of safety equipment. And not bad business for a certain Scottish island either....... makes just as much sense to me, who doesn't drink. (except at Christmas). *-) Ray

Rayjsj - 2012-03-20 8:54 PM

No, it's not an 'illegal Scam' , it's a perfectly ' legal Scam' by the French Government and 'unnamed' Breathalyzer manufacturers.

I think we should make it Compulsory that every vehicle driving in, and entering into the UK. carry a British Made and Kitemarked 'Harris tweed blanket' to use to keep Accident victims warm while they wait for an Ambulance ( 20mins- 3hrs.?). A 'Vital' piece of safety equipment. And not bad business for a certain Scottish island either....... makes just as much sense to me, who doesn't drink. (except at Christmas). *-) Ray

The new law doesn't particularly bother me but I do wonder what the thinking is behind it - and I really can't see the point of making it compulsory for tee-totallers to carry them.

When and why would they ever need to use them ?

Maybe with French wine being so cheap ( and tasty ) they haven't got any tee-totallers in France.

:-|

malc d - 2012-03-21 9:37 PM

The new law doesn't particularly bother me but I do wonder what the thinking is behind it - and I really can't see the point of making it compulsory for tee-totallers to carry them.

... but how could you prove you were tea-total? I'm tea-total but apart from the massive amount of tea-bags I take on holiday with me, I would be hard pushed to prove it! :D

Mel B - 2012-03-21 10:08 PM

... but how could you prove you were tea-total? I'm tea-total but apart from the massive amount of tea-bags I take on holiday with me, I would be hard pushed to prove it! :D

But, I ask again, what would tee-totallers use them for ?

(?)

malc d - 2012-03-21 10:17 PM

(?)

When stopped by the nice Gendarme with a big gun ... you'd be more than happy to use one! 8-)

Mel B - 2012-03-21 10:21 PM

malc d - 2012-03-21 10:17 PM

(?)

When stopped by the nice Gendarme with a big gun ... you'd be more than happy to use one! 8-)

Too true.

So the French government is doing it to save the police buying their own breathalyzers then ?

Other savings will no doubt follow.

Some time in the future drivers will also be required to carry a set of handcuffs in case they are ever arrested.

There's no end to future potential government savings.

( Let's hope our government don't hear about it ).

;-)

There is some terrible b.s coming from the illiterati here.

The Gendarmerie will not use your breathalyser to check if you are OTT.

The whole idea is that a breathalyser will allow you to check yourself against French Drink drive standards, one of the problems here is that the average good old boy thinks that a half bottle of rouge plus an apperitif and maybe a digestif is quite normale for le dejeuner. I am old enough to recall when the red veined brigade out in the shires were claiming that they drove better after their half bottle of scotch and how dare anyone question their wisdom.

Retread24800 - 2012-03-22 12:53 PMThere is some terrible b.s coming from the illiterati here.

The Gendarmerie will not use your breathalyser to check if you are OTT.

The whole idea is that a breathalyser will allow you to check yourself against French Drink drive standards, one of the problems here is that the average good old boy thinks that a half bottle of rouge plus an apperitif and maybe a digestif is quite normale for le dejeuner. I am old enough to recall when the red veined brigade out in the shires were claiming that they drove better after their half bottle of scotch and how dare anyone question their wisdom.

Just because 'Some' irresponsible members of the community ignore the law and advice on drinking and driving, Why should Everyone including visiting Tourists be saddled with worrying about a stupid new law which won't even catch the guilty individuals , ANYONE caught driking and Driving , don't bother to fine them just IMMEDIATLEY ban them for a minimum of 2 years, no appeal, no points just a ban. If they are caught driving after that , Jail them. Ray

Retread24800 - 2012-03-22 12:53 PMone of the problems here is that the average good old boy thinks that a half bottle of rouge plus an apperitif and maybe a digestif is quite normale for le dejeuner. I am old enough to recall when the red veined brigade out in the shires were claiming that they drove better after their half bottle of scotch and how dare anyone question their wisdom.

In the past I've see a lorry driver down a full bottle of red with his baguett then drive off down the Autoroute in his 40 Tonne artic.

Amazon have a twin pack, NF approved, for £3.90 carriage free. I've just ordered a pack.

And I've seen the lunchtime guys at the bar too. I remember when the limit was introduced, being told by a frenchman in all seriousness that it was OK to have a Pastis, couple of glasses of wine, and a digestif, before driving. Not wishful thinking at all then!

Rayjsj - 2012-03-22 6:43 PM
Retread24800 - 2012-03-22 12:53 PM

Just because 'Some' irresponsible members of the community ignore the law and advice on drinking and driving, Why should Everyone including visiting Tourists be saddled with worrying about a stupid new law which won't even catch the guilty individuals , ANYONE caught driking and Driving , don't bother to fine them just IMMEDIATLEY ban them for a minimum of 2 years, no appeal, no points just a ban. If they are caught driving after that , Jail them. Ray

France has a problem with high accident rates and the thinking is that a large proportion of these accidents are drink related, new psv's are to be fitted with alcometers so that drivers cannot start a school bus for instance if he/she has taken a drink. The idea behind the new law is to try and educate the average driver that past drinking habits are now unacceptable, its a cheap(2 Euro) and hopefully effective means of driving the point through.

As for tourists, why should tourists be made a special exception, do not tourists imbibe as well? Judging by the loud laughter coming from the touristy bars here....................

confusing because if you look at seler details ( click on '3 new' from £3.90) it says....

Seller Rating:79% positive over the past 12 months. (39 total ratings)

In stock. Dispatched from United Kingdom. Expedited delivery available.

International & domestic delivery rates and return policy.

In Stock Despatched Same Working Day 1 X NF Approved Breathalyzer For France SINGLE PACK

I think you may find you only get one, but I will stand corrected if you get two.

EDIT - just checked on same sellers shop on Ebay. you only get 1 for £3.90.

Archived