Breathalyzers

snailblazer

The argument over here, in dear old blighty, about self administered breathalysers is the thought that SOME will drink up to the limit and then test themselves on an uncalibrated device, blow under, think it's ok to drive and go off on their merry way. Some miles down the road they have an accident (sorry PC term is collision) or get stopped and lo and behold provide a positive sample on a calibrated device. I suppose the French decided they needed to do something to lessen their accident rate. I personally don't have a problem with buying a device to carry but the best thing is not to have any before you drive then you won't need to test yourself.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JudgeMental - 2012-03-23 10:16 AM

Will these be for sale on ferry?

According to CCC magazine received yesterday Alcotests (breathalysers) are available from petrol stations and supermarkets in France and are "also expected to appear at ferry terminals soon". It seems as though the law in France regarding carrying them is expected to come into force on 1st July.

Brambles - 2012-03-23 9:41 AM

that may be so, but pics are generic, you will only get one. See sellers other listing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alcohol-Breathalyser-Approved-Driving-Disposable/dp/B007K5XZXM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&m=A33RQPT3YPM47X&s=generic&qid=1332495456&sr=1-4

Halfords works out cheaper at 4.99.

Better get your eyes tested Jon (lol)

That link say it's a Twin Pack.

Edit:

Better get my eyes tested just noticed that one is twice the price.

The plot thickens - the price which comes up on my link (above) has jumped from £3.90 (which I've been charged on my card) to £6.75 - since yesterday! And the picture has been changed to one which clearly says "x1."

I wonder if the seller has just discovered it's a twin pack? If so I've got away with it, but from here on I agree Halfords et al will be better value.

Tony Jones - 2012-03-23 1:26 PM

The plot thickens - the price which comes up on my link (above) has jumped from £3.90 (which I've been charged on my card) to £6.75 - since yesterday! And the picture has been changed to one which clearly says "x1."

I wonder if the seller has just discovered it's a twin pack? If so I've got away with it, but from here on I agree Halfords et al will be better value.

Let us know what you receive Tony.

;-)

I've just returned from France and I saw no evidence of breathalyser kits being offered on the (Brittany Ferries) ship, nor being strongly marketed in French supermarkets. It's probable they can easily be obtained from French pharmacies and fuel-station shops, but I didn't bother to explore this. As these products normally have an expiry date and the French decree does not come into force until July 2012 (with a period of grace until November 2012), buying a 'breathalyser kit' in March would have been counter-productive in my case.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26437&posts=49

Guest JudgeMental

I have just had a major Barney with Amazon retailer.over a faulty TV cabinet,.and guess what they dont recognise the sales of goods act, how very convenient for them!

You may well get your 2nd breathalyser but if not, make sure you send it back for a full refund before time runs out...

I had to send registered letter, threatening court action to resolve our situation.

They've just replied, saying a second one has now been despatched but insisting that the original offer WASN'T for a twin pack.

Amazon keep copies of all this correspondence, and presumably can also recover earlier versions of webpages, which may explain the seller's willingness to keep me happy.

Or it may just be that he recognises his mistake but doesn't want to admit it.

snailblazer - 2012-03-20 2:49 PM

There are currently many mentions on the web about a new French law that requires drivers, in France, to carry with them a personal breathalyzer. This is to come into enforcement from the 1st of July. Penalty for non compliance is a €10 fine. Suitable breathalyzers (for the French limit) are available for about £5 for three. I have not seen anything about this in the touring press and discussion with friends suggest that this may be a scam. Has anyone any more news of this? :-(

Since my original posting, a friend of mine in Dover popped into the port AA office to enquire on this subject. The answer given was;

i) As from the 1 July 2012 when driving in France a Breathalyser unit has to be carried the car.

ii) Apparently the French Police will not start prosecutions until November.

iii) If found guilty your licence will be taken away there and then and sent back to Swansea.

iv) A pack of 2 Breathalysers can be bought at the AA Office for £5.99.

JudgeMental - 2012-03-26 2:23 PM

I have just had a major Barney with Amazon retailer.over a faulty TV cabinet,.and guess what they dont recognise the sales of goods act, how very convenient for them!

You may well get your 2nd breathalyser but if not, make sure you send it back for a full refund before time runs out...

I had to send registered letter, threatening court action to resolve our situation.

Eddie

The "Distance Selling Regulations" apply for on-line Purchases.

For further info, this link is as good as any.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/online-auction-sites/

snailblazer - 2012-03-26 8:23 PM

snailblazer - 2012-03-20 2:49 PM

There are currently many mentions on the web about a new French law that requires drivers, in France, to carry with them a personal breathalyzer. This is to come into enforcement from the 1st of July. Penalty for non compliance is a €10 fine. Suitable breathalyzers (for the French limit) are available for about £5 for three. I have not seen anything about this in the touring press and discussion with friends suggest that this may be a scam. Has anyone any more news of this? :-(

Since my original posting, a friend of mine in Dover popped into the port AA office to enquire on this subject. The answer given was;

i) As from the 1 July 2012 when driving in France a Breathalyser unit has to be carried the car.

ii) Apparently the French Police will not start prosecutions until November.

iii) If found guilty your licence will be taken away there and then and sent back to Swansea.

iv) A pack of 2 Breathalysers can be bought at the AA Office for £5.99.

I'm wary of the (iii) advice from the Dover AA office.

Failing to carry a breathalyser in one's vehicle while driving in France will, from 1 November 2012, risk the possibility of an €11 on-the-spot fine. Unlike being found to be over the French alcohol driving limit, non-carriage of a breathalyser is a very minor 'technical' offence and, I'd be surprised if it resulted in confiscation of a UK traveller's driving-licence. I can well believe that being breathalysed in France and found to be over the French alcohol limit would result in licence confiscation, but I'm very doubtful that non-carriage of the mandatory breathalyser would do the same.

There's a lot of questionable information/advice being offered regardng this French regulation, some of it originating from 'professional' sources. A reasonable summary is given on

http://www.frenchbreathalyzer.com/disposable.htm

This suggests that UK stocks of suitable disposable breatalyser kits are currently very low, and also warns that some 'twin pack' kits may not be what one might reasonably expect. (I don't know if either claim is accurate though.)

Bought some yesterday for myself and family from an Intermarche in France. They are not on prominent display yet so you will have to ask for them. If you don't speak French (remember the French do not pronounce the "h") just copy the word or print the picture which I hope to include below!

This packet of 2 cost me €2 and they are valid until February 2014. There must be other makes available but these were manufactured in France (note the NF mark) and were on a strip (well hidden!) at the end of the shelves. I had to ask a sales person to direct me to them.

The local chemists are not stocking them yet as they have to order too many.

564843921_EthylotestfromIntermarche2.JPG.0cec4bfceb3c86b059936ab73d6ddd48.JPG

Aren't we seeing a bit of 'Panic Buying' here?

If they are to be freely available in France at Chemists, Supermarkets & Garages for around 1 Euro, why on earth are people paying £6.99 now in the UK?

As stated-it isn't law until July 1st ie 3 months+ in the future and they are giving a 'state of grace' until November 1st ie 7 months+ hence-what is the panic to be in possession of one now in the UK?

Are we going to get together and 'Compare the Breathaliser' at Peterborough?

Perhaps we could invite Alexandr and Sergai along too!

Mike

UPDATE: as at 16.35 today the price has gone up to £7.49! Rediculous!

Guest JudgeMental
Hmm....£16 + ......When I return from Spain in May I will have 100's of packs for £10 a throw BARGAIN! :D

Tony Jones - 2012-03-26 4:50 PM

They've just replied, saying a second one has now been despatched but insisting that the original offer WASN'T for a twin pack.

Amazon keep copies of all this correspondence, and presumably can also recover earlier versions of webpages, which may explain the seller's willingness to keep me happy.

Did you get any instructions with them Tony i.e when to use / how to use ?

:-|

malc d - 2012-03-27 5:05 PM

Blow into the tube 40 minutes after last drink

Mike B. - 2012-03-27 5:16 PM

malc d - 2012-03-27 5:05 PM

Blow into the tube 40 minutes after last drink

Thanks Mike B.

The instructions are not for me.

I'm thinking of buying a pack for my son, who might not know when to use it, because he doesn't drink.

(To get our moneys' worth he'll have to use it 40 minutes after every cup of tea).

Mike B. - 2012-03-27 4:34 PM

Aren't we seeing a bit of 'Panic Buying' here?

If they are to be freely available in France at Chemists, Supermarkets & Garages for around 1 Euro, why on earth are people paying £6.99 now in the UK?

As stated-it isn't law until July 1st ie 3 months+ in the future and they are giving a 'state of grace' until November 1st ie 7 months+ hence-what is the panic to be in possession of one now in the UK?

Are we going to get together and 'Compare the Breathaliser' at Peterborough?

Perhaps we could invite Alexandr and Sergai along too!

Mike

UPDATE: as at 16.35 today the price has gone up to £7.49! Rediculous!

I think there are only two companies currently producing single-use breathalysers complying with the French standard and "NF"-marked. One company - CONTRALCO - is French, while the other - REDLINE - is (I believe) South African. For anyone interested, there's some useful stuff on the CONTRALCO website:

http://www.contralco.fr/gb/Contralco_ethylotest.php

I find it a mite hard to understand why anyone planning to drive in France in the near future should be choosing to pay over the odds to obtain NF-marked breathalysers in the UK. However, I would suggest that, if you won't be visiting France until July, it would make sense to obtain a breathalyser before you go. There is some evidence that breathalyser stocks are becoming limited in France and any shortage is likely to worsen as the July deadline approaches.

Despite there being a July-through-October period of grace, it would still be wise to be carrying a breathalyser if you plan to be driving in France from July-onwards. French police operate differently from their UK counterparts and have no compunction regarding disrupting traffic-flow to carry out spot-checks. Last year, while driving on the N157 Laval-Rennes dual-carriageway, we (and all the other traffic travelling westwards) were diverted through a service area where swarms of French police were checking vehicles, documentation, etc.

If you are police-checked during the July-October period, the ability to produce a breathalyser immediately should earn you some brownie points, will prevent the inevitable educational lecture and just MIGHT avoid a more rigorous and time-consuming inspection being carried out on your vehicle.

To me, buyng just now gets it done, one less thing to worry about and think about doing when visiting France. Done and dusted and one less thing on the list of Must Do. At £4.99 from Halfords ( sorry to swear) less 19p cashback I am not going to worry about the cost or could have saved a few quid buying in France.

Brambles - 2012-03-28 10:26 AM

To me, buyng just now gets it done, one less thing to worry about and think about doing when visiting France. Done and dusted and one less thing on the list of Must Do. At £4.99 from Halfords ( sorry to swear) less 19p cashback I am not going to worry about the cost or could have saved a few quid buying in France.

Personally, I wouldn't argue over your Wise Virgin philosophy, but it's worth highlighting that the First Commandment in the Sacred Book of Motorcaravanning is "After obtaining your motorhome it is heretical to spend any further money unless it is absolutely unavoidable."

Archived