Ladybirds

Mel B

I've been sorting our garden out for over a week and have noticed that there are loads of ladybirds about - has anyone else seen them in their garden?

Hopefully it means that the greenfly will be wiped out this year! :-D

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-03-20 11:31 PM

Is there any from Brazil?

Dave

I've met a few Ladyboys..........from Brazil..................but I put them down as being nuts :D

pelmetman - 2012-03-20 11:35 PM

nowtelse2do - 2012-03-20 11:31 PM

Is there any from Brazil?

Dave

I've met a few Ladyboys..........from Brazil..................but I put them down as being nuts :D

Being a ex sailor you would know. 8-) :D

Tell you what Dave, it's been a bit heavy on chatterbox lately. I'm running around like a blue a**e fly at the mo, then catching up later. See you've been fishing again (lol) (lol)

Dave

I've seen quite a few ladybirds so far, the first in February. Quite a few bumble bees and the ants are out on our patio. Also spotted some Comma butterfly caterpillars on our Buddlia. Spotted a tortoiseshell butterfly in the garden one week ago.

Despite the winter being milder frogs were a day later in spawning this year. The spawn has now hatched in the pond but there wasn't as much as last year.

The blackbirds have started nesting down the bottom of the garden but where they are I fear the worse because the nest is easy to spot and we have squirrels. Great tit pair were examining a nest box but I'm unsure of whether they've taken up residence because I'm keeping away.

Sadly I read that wrens numbers have taken a fall and for the first time since we've lived here I haven't spotted one all winter.

Guest pelmetman
Lord Braykewynde - 2012-03-21 10:12 AM

The spawn has now hatched in the pond but there wasn't as much as last year.

We've noticed that in our pond to......................maybe it will be a hot dry summer B-)

Where's me seaweed? :D

We had a load in our south facing windows a few weeks back - I can only assume the over-wintered somewhere in our house. They were all over the blinds and on the windows. Spent a good hour collecting them all up and letting them go outside.

Happy that our house offered them shelter :-D

Yes Ive noticed them here too Mel :-D not always on plants either I was down on my hands and knee,s with a hand fork they were sat on the soil as well as on plants ! made me wonder if they have nests under the soil like some bee,s do!!

I'm certainly expecting lots of greenfly etc; as we haven't had a frost here :-S not anything significant anyway to kill them off.

I remember a few years back when there were plenty of ladybirds about early. I also thought the same, good, something to help keep the greenfly at bay. Then they disappeared :-S

Whether they brred at this time of year and after laying die I don't know but their larvae are even more voracious on greenfly but they are harder to spot.

Saw a few more while gardening this afternoon along with a yellow one with black spots.

A few ladybirds spotted ( think about it) in South Devon.

I have seen a more wrens about this year than for a while. Out walking in the back lanes on Monday, watched a pair of having a barney, not sure if it was a territorial dispute or mating ritual. Cracking day with superb visibility. Haytor about five miles away but seemed more like a mile. Less than a week ago vis was down to 50 yards.

The crow family seem to be doing well of recent years. A family of half a dozen rooks perch in a neighbours tree most mornings, each seems to have a favourite branch. The urban ones seem to be losing their fear of humans. A rook was strolling in our road yesterday, calmly walked to the footpath and made no attempt to fly when I drove up.

Wehave the highest water rates in the country but our reservoirs are 85% full. Come summer most of the country will be down for a bath.

George Collings - 2012-03-21 11:45 PM

I have seen a more wrens about this year than for a while.

The crow family seem to be doing well of recent years.

Glad to hear it about the wrens George.

The jackdaws outside started at 4.55am this morning and woke me up :D

What I have noticed there's a lack of so far is queen wasps. Last year I thought their numbers would be depleted due to the winter but they were as bad as ever.

Last year I watched a wasp attack a spider in its web. The spider dropped to the ground to escape but the wasp had him. There was a struggle but the wasp won and flew off leaving the spider curled up twitching. About a minute later it was back, picked up the spider and flew off with it.

Another time a wasp caught a bluebottle in mid air under our carport. They fell to the ground but after a few stings the wasp flew off with it.

They do do some good in keeping pests down but it's when the wasp larvae have hatched and the workers no longer have any honey dew to feed on that they become pests themselves.

Few if any lady birds so far here in Wiltshire Mel.

I killed a queen wasp that was seeking to find a nesting space in my garden shed last week Lord B.

I was pleased to see a brimstone butterfly on my morning walk today.

Wrens? -- yes we have two nesting in my summer jasmine outside the dining room window. My bird feeders are full of finches -- Goldfinches, chaffinches, greenfinches, but not their relatives, the bramblings, that we saw during the hard weather last year. We have got pretty little siskins though, and the occasional blackcap ( male & female) will sometimes feed off the fat ball or peanuts.

I think that our promiscuous dunnocks might be trying to nest too -- if they can decide which pair will see it through! I'm hoping that blue tits will nest in out nestbox -- they seem to be interested.

I, too, have seen more rooks ( and nearer to human habitation) than ever before.

Not a lot more to report!

Colin.

Archived