recommendation for a bike rack

scud24

Hi all iam off to to sussex in april and want to buy a bike rack to take with me.I have looked at the Thule "rideon 2 "bike rack (only want a rack that takes 2 bikes),has anybody purchased one or anything simialr.I have a Hope T bar system on the back of my van and only really intrested in buying a rack that fits on/off the tow bar i dont want anything like a fiamma rack that requires driling into the bodywork.Also could anybody tell me if all the "ball" size on a towbar comes as a standard size...i dont want to by a towball rack that fits a car "towball" but not a Hope T on a van.Hope you can help with advice or suggestions.. Many thanks :-D

Hi there, I've been using a Thule Euroway G2 921, which is similar to the Rideon, for about 6 months. I think I went for the Euroway as it seemed to offer more flexibility/stability for a bigger variety of bikes. It's lived on the back of my van all winter, carried mountain bikes and road bikes, nothing's come loose, in spite of a month in Hebrides/NW Scotland and there's no sign of corrosion. Very easy to fit/remove. In short, none of the shortcomings I found in various Fiamma racks I've had.

Only issue for me is that a wide-barred MTB can touch the back door of van, so may need bars of bike nearest van turning slightly during transit.

Can't help you on the towbar issue, but I'm sure someone on here can.

Have a good trip,

Chris

PS, if you get another version of this, it's reappeared from where it went in cyberspace! Website seems a bit temperamental today

Hi;

I think the Rideon2 is a great solution.

I had a Fiamma rack on the back door of our Ducato PVC; until I bent it reversing into a gatepost on a french campsite.

low level and incorporating lights and numberplate; ideal, and transferable from car to van;

must get towbars sorted

regards

alan b

Looks like a nice bike rack, good price and you don't have to lift the bikes above your head to put them on the other type of rack.

Think you will find that most tow bar balls are the same size, our motorhome one is the same as our car one because we use the same cover on it.

If you can wait a while (cause we are in NZ at the moment and return at the end of the month) I have a Pendle behind the ball rack similiar to

http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/Behind-the-tow-ball-discovery-4-bike-rack.php

up for graps. Takes four bikes.

We are in Sussex, not much use if you want to travel here with bikes, but may be a soution.

Rgds

PS If anyone envies us on the Island of sunshine. it isn't (at least where we are ) *-)

Archived