So what is racism?

nightrider

So what is racism then? are you not allowed in these politically correct days to have a personal dislike of a particular race, creed or colour?

In my business there are people of a particular creed, colour or religion that I will not work for from past experience, not only me, but people who I know in the same business as me will pass on info regarding certain people by saying "keep away" from such and such as they are only trouble.

When anybody of the type I mention who are easily identifyed by their accent phone regarding a job I decline their work by saying I am too busy.

"a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior. "

Which apply s to most of us !

Now don't get me started on the Scots, Welsh, Irish, French, Germans, Oh nearly forgot the bloke down the road.

Guest Tracker

When the rest of the world stops being racist towards England then I shall stop resenting their intrusion into our values, beliefs, traditions and customs and when their attempts to change this country into one that they think suits their own beliefs and customs contentment will abound!

If the beliefs and customs that these people allegedly hold so dear are so wonderful there are plenty of other countries that might benefit from an enforced culture change - but not mine!

Those who come here to seek a better life and integrate and contribute to the well being of the UK are all very welcome to stay in the UK as far as I am concerned as this country has benefited greatly from immigration over the years but there are simple common sense conditions that should apply.

1 Learn to speak and write English to an adequate level to be able to communicate in day to day life.

2 Obey our laws or face the loss of their right to remain here.

3 No benefits beyond a first 6 months settlement help and support period until gainful employment and tax and NI contributions made for at least a year.

Me a racist? Probably when judged by today's namby pamby standards? Tough!!

But I prefer to think of it as patriotic and I ain't changing my views any time soon.

Guest Tracker
knight of the road - 2012-03-21 5:48 PM

So are there any inferior races then??

Every other race - especially the Welsh!

Guest 1footinthegrave

I think you can dislike anyone of any creed, colour, religion, dress, language, social class, political viewpoint, the list goes on and on, but the trick to keep the thought Police away dependant on the category is never vocalise them otherwise you'll likely get your collar felt in double quick time. Me I'm quite a balanced individual I mostly dislike all of the human race apart from the Welsh, but especially George Osborne as of today.

Oh, Malcolm! I am shocked, that in this day and age, more than 60 years after the S.S 'Windrush' landed on these shores with its cargo of Jamaican immigrants, that you, or anyone else needs to ask this question at all!

Roy's answer is partial : Yes, racism is:1.) " The belief that each race or ethnic group possesses specific characteristics, abilities or qualities that distinguish it as inferior or superior to another such group"

But also: 2.)"Discrimination against or antaganism towards other races or ethnic groups, based on such a belief" This latter, unfortunately, is what you seem to be describing in your behaviour towards prospectiveclients/customers.

I must be careful, because I have had to know the law (as it applied to me, and sometimes to my clients) over the years ( and the various amendments and changes, both in the law and in attitudes over time) BUT -- I am not a lawyer and I have no right to accuse anyone of racism -- I can only attempt to take what you say at its face value.

As F.G. says on another thread:" think what you like about muslims and immigrants, but that's where it should stay" In one's professional life ( and I found this out by hard experience)you have to try to treat all people as equally as you can -- which, after all, is why we have legislation, to try to ensure that we all do this, and protect those who are discriminated against.

I hope that that goes at least some awy to answering your question Malcolm,

Regards,

Colin.

Colin,

I dont know what line of business that you are in? but I think you know that I am in the garden maintenance business in a self employed capacity.

I have my core bread and butter customers and other potential customers approach me by phone, word of mouth or they see my sign written van out and about on the job.

All small time traders like me, builders, plumbers, decorators etc etc will not work for certain type people due to problems they have had with them in the past.

Word of problematical customers goes round like wildfire when chatting in the local cafes, names, addresses and phone numbers are handed round as a warning not to get involved with certain people, in other words there is a black list.

If for example I was running a restaurant or a hotel and I refused someone a service on grounds of colour, race or religion then I could be prosecuted for racial discrimination.

If someone phones me asking for a price for job and I detect that they are one of the type of people I wont work for I politely decline their work, knowing full well that they are a pain in the butt and just not worth the hassle and agro in trying to get your money out of them, only this morning I was talking to a fellow gardener when he told me he had just fired off 6 troublesome customers of the type I am talking about, some jobs, trades or whatever have to do the work of all comers, in my job I can be selective in who I want to work for, there are two ways of working, the easy way or the hard way and I pick the easy way every time, there are two particular ethnics that I wont work for under any circumstances, I will leave you to figure out who they are?

Tracker - 2012-03-21 5:47 PM

when their attempts to change this country into one that they think suits their own beliefs and customs contentment will abound!

If the beliefs and customs that these people allegedly hold so dear are so wonderful there are plenty of other countries that might benefit from an enforced culture change - but not mine!

Those who come here to seek a better life and integrate and contribute to the well being of the UK are all very welcome to stay in the UK as far as I am concerned as this country has benefited greatly from immigration over the years but there are simple common sense conditions that should apply.

1 Learn to speak and write English to an adequate level to be able to communicate in day to day life.

2 Obey our laws or face the loss of their right to remain here.

3 No benefits beyond a first 6 months settlement help and support period until gainful employment and tax and NI contributions made for at least a year.

This is also my belief with the addition that those who come to this country and aren't satified so want to change it to their religion or laws should be allowed to leave and find a country that complies with their wishes.

Jews have been here for centuries and assimilate as do Chinese and many other peoples do likewise so why can't those who wish to live in this country follow their example.

Even those who promoted multi-culturism and allowed mass immigration now admit they got it wrong but it's too late now so future generations will have to make the best out of it but what a legacy to leave for our grandkids. I wonder what, in 100 years time, the scholars will be writing about this chapter in British history :-S

knight of the road - 2012-03-21 6:56 PM

All small time traders like me, builders, plumbers, decorators etc etc will not work for certain type people due to problems they have had with them in the past.

As you say, you won't work " for a certain type of people "

That's not the same as a certain race.

:-|

knight of the road - 2012-03-21 3:18 PM

So what is racism then? are you not allowed in these politically correct days to have a personal dislike of a particular race, creed or colour?...............................

Racism is, it seems to me, and as its name suggests, a prejudice against people on the grounds of their race. It is one of a number of prejudices that crudely categorise people in terms of their race, colour, gender, or creed.

You ask if you are no longer allowed your personal prejudices? But how can/could they be disallowed? What is not allowed is to express them, or to act upon them.

But then, is holding against a person, or a group of people, the fact of their ethnicity, the colour of their skin, their gender, where they were born, or what religion they practise, quite how you would like to be treated by others? Is there not a large slice of Mrs Do-as-You-Would-be-Done-by, in here?

If you would not like to be dismissed by others because of those characteristics with which you were born, and over which you have, or had, no power or influence, why deal with others in the same way. If you are cheated by, say, a Frenchman, is it logical or sensible to assume all Frenchmen are cheats?

There is no sound logic for arriving at prejudicial opinions of anyone, based on such notions, until you meet them in person. One should, IMO, take people as they come, accept them for what they are, and like them or dislike them based only on those aspects of their character. Far too many people, throughout history, have been abused, tortured, or killed, for no more than they were of the "wrong" colour, from the "wrong" country, had the "wrong" beliefs, were of the "wrong" gender, or even supported the "wrong" football team. Such prejudices are corrosive, born of a deeply suspicious, narrow, parochial, ignorant, mindset. They serve no-one well, and many ill.

But I still reserve the right to make totally irreverent, politically unacceptable, defamatory, stomach churningly awful, jokes, because they serve to confront us with our own prejudices. They do not excuse, or condemn, what they ridicule: they just illustrate our hypocrisies which, on the whole, I think a good thing.

Symbol Owner - 2012-03-21 6:00 PM

As F.G. says on another thread:" think what you like about muslims and immigrants, but that's where it should stay" In one's professional life ( and I found this out by hard experience)you have to try to treat all people as equally as you can -- which, after all, is why we have legislation, to try to ensure that we all do this, and protect those who are discriminated against.

I hope that that goes at least some awy to answering your question Malcolm,

Regards,

Colin.

Until that all changes, when the laws of this country are Shia Law.

Thank goodness I will not be around then, and I hope my grandchildren are in a country that will protect them from this evil religion.

Dave

Guest Tracker

All religions can be evil when they are corrupted by extremists and power hungry despots who use the power of religion to control those not strong or educated enough to see the abuses.

Maybe when you are convinced that you have nothing to live for perhaps it is easier to kill others than to change your own destiny in a constructive way? I really don't know?

Much truly dreadful crime and terrorism was instigated over the years in the name of Christianity and what other religions are now doing is no different - we just have to ride the storms with reason, tolerance and strength of belief in our own principles - and live in hope.

Guest Tracker
donna miller - 2012-03-21 8:27 PM

However, our standing is much much higher since you left. :D

Oh come on Donna - I'm not that short!

And don't forget you still have that envy of the free world - the W A Gs - screwing up Wales - a good enough reason alone for not wanting to live there any more - quite apart from the RAIN!

Guest peter
knight of the road - 2012-03-21 3:18 PM

So what is racism then? are you not allowed in these politically correct days to have a personal dislike of a particular race, creed or colour?

In my business there are people of a particular creed, colour or religion that I will not work for from past experience, not only me, but people who I know in the same business as me will pass on info regarding certain people by saying "keep away" from such and such as they are only trouble.

When anybody of the type I mention who are easily identifyed by their accent phone regarding a job I decline their work by saying I am too busy.

Just hang on a little while and Francis Graham will be along to give you chapter and verse on the whole subject. That's subject to Brian Kirby not getting in first. (lol) (lol)

nowtelse2do - 2012-03-21 8:06 PM

Until that all changes, when the laws of this country are Shia Law.

Thank goodness I will not be around then, and I hope my grandchildren are in a country that will protect them from this evil religion.

Dave

Whichever country they end up in they'll need to:

1 Learn to speak and write that country's language to an adequate level to be able to communicate in day to day life.

2 Obey their laws or face the loss of their right to remain there.

:D

Tracker - 2012-03-21 8:22 PM

All religions can be evil when they are corrupted by extremists and power hungry despots who use the power of religion to control those not strong or educated enough to see the abuses.

Maybe when you are convinced that you have nothing to live for perhaps it is easier to kill others than to change your own destiny in a constructive way? I really don't know?

Much truly dreadful crime and terrorism was instigated over the years in the name of Christianity and what other religions are now doing is no different - we just have to ride the storms with reason, tolerance and strength of belief in our own principles - and live in hope.

Very true Rich, but this Shia religion is hell bent on destroying our way off life no matter what.

Dave

Archived