Classical Music

Symbol Owner

Some weeks ago (January to be more precise) Martyn (Lord) Thornber started a thread entitled: "I challenge you" which asked if any of us could identify a beautiful piece of choral music which featured in a T.V. series. I was able to comply and this led to an exchange of favourite works and interested discussion, between Martyn, Mikethebike, Syd, myself and a few others. Compared with recent threads, it was remarkably civilised! -- which may have something to do with the subject of debate/discussion itself.

Anyway, let's kick off this 'music-lover's' thread with Schubert -- the subject of BBC Radio 3's total output for the whole of next week.

How about this then, folks; pure intense beauty, from a genius who left this life at only 31.

Colin.

P.S. all contributions/comments gratefully received.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cannot believe I have not heard this young lady before tonight, Maybe I have on the radio and not registered her name.

Mirusia Louwerse ( Oh come on I must have heard of her!!!!)

--- one of my favourites and not many can sing Ave Maria this well. Beautiful.

Those who like Andrew Lloyd W songs will enjoy Mirusia singing in this link.

Lord B. -- your 'brow' is set too low for me -- they are pretty, I know, but that stuff won't last a generation, let alone nearly 200 years. ( Like Schubert, for example). Most of the 'popular' ( as defined by the colour of the 78rpm record labels) music of my parents' generation ( the20's. & 30's.) has 'died the death' -- unless the songs have become 'standards' for jazzmen to improvise upon. I think that your choices will do likewise, so are not 'classical' in the sense of being timeless.

Jon, I too, had never seen/heard Mirusia, so thank you very much for your' clips'. She's good, but done no favours, I deem, by Andre Rieu's 'soupy' arrangements! Her vibrato is a bit too much for my taste, but a lovely voice nevertheless -- perhaps the close 'miking' accentuates the 'wobble'.

Keep 'em coming folks!

Cheers,

Colin.

Symbol Owner - 2012-03-21 4:24 PM

Well you did post the above so I contributed. Apologies if you meant the thread was for classical music aficionados only :-S

The nearest I come to that kind of music is ....

better by James Last though

Hovis

...well my tastes in music are fairly eclectic, both within and across genres.

As you've extended your boundaries away from simply choral music, Colin, I'd add the following as one of my favourites.

(Unfortunately, though a fine recording, it has been split in two for Youtube posting)

I've always suspected it to be a fairly "populist" choice, but I've come across surprisingly few people who can immediately identify it. :-S

Populist or no, it's damn fine music; I find it somehow quintessentially "English", and rather wistful.

IMO, worth a listen through.

Well, it does say 'Classical music' at the top of the thread, Lord B., but one man's 'Classic' might not fit another's definition of what is 'classical' -- it has become a very loose definition -- except for those pedants among us who believe that the classical period follows the baroque and precedes the romantic period! Here's some more Schubert, piano this time, the whole Sonata is a marvel, here is the first of its four movements:

P.S. I'm not just a choral fan Robin -- in fact I came to that music genre last in terms of appreciation -- when I was a boy chorister I just did as I was told -- I wasn't expected to like it!

C.

Lord Braykewynde - 2012-03-22 11:18 AM

Symbol Owner - 2012-03-21 4:24 PM

Well you did post the above so I contributed. Apologies if you meant the thread was for classical music aficionados only :-S

The nearest I come to that kind of music is ....

better by James Last though

Hovis

Those are better Chris, ( or more to my taste at least) the Martini is a 'classic' by any reckoning -- a truly memorable tune -- there are far nicer renditions though -- I'll see if I can find one. Thanks for posting it though, as so often with any kind of music, it brought back deeply-buried memories which I had forgotten were there.

Zamfir is a star -- (with almost whatever he plays) a genuine 'one-off' - - I'd forgotten about him ( 20 or 30? years ago when I first heard/dicovered him -- so thank you for that too.

I am afraid that I think that James Last commits butchery/murder on almost any classical piece that he lays a baton/keyboard on! The originals were fine (once!) but not after he gets hold of them! I would never have believed that you could do that to Dvorak! A truly dreadful example of how not to do it, in my humble (and biased) opinion!

Robinhood - 2012-03-22 11:30 AM

...well my tastes in music are fairly eclectic, both within and across genres.

As you've extended your boundaries away from simply choral music, Colin, I'd add the following as one of my favourites.

(Unfortunately, though a fine recording, it has been split in two for Youtube posting)

I've always suspected it to be a fairly "populist" choice, but I've come across surprisingly few people who can immediately identify it. :-S

Populist or no, it's damn fine music; I find it somehow quintessentially "English", and rather wistful.

IMO, worth a listen through.

Agreed Robin -- I'm not usually a VW fan -- some of his choral music is spectacularly boring to sing, the inner voices spend most of their time humming, not singing at all -- but this Tallis Fantasia has always been a favourite, as has this:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbcuteYm-EA

The soloist not only looks stunning, you can tell that the performance is going to be exceptional from the moment that her bow first touches the string!

Here you are Chris ( Lord B.) this is how Martini's Plaisir d'amour should sound! One of this country's truly great singers, whose career I have followed since the early 60's until her retirement from the concert platform a few years ago (too early in most people's view). What a voice! What a way with words -- and you can hear every one distinctly. She was peerless, and a role model, in terms of tecnique, for every singer, of whatever genre. Such breath control! Such support for the voice! Pity about the rather 'scratchy' orchestra and poseur of a conductor -- a young Andre previn? I'm not sure.

Enjoy!

Colin.

Chris I've remembered now where I first heard Plaisir d'amour -- on the 'flip side of a 45rpm 'E.P.' that I bought as a sixth former, of Joan Baez -- of all people -- now there WAS a 'folk' singer!

here is another rendition, sung by one of the truly great tenors of all time -- Tito Schipa -- the quality of his voice is truly beautiful -- no bluster or swagger, but once again an interpretation paying due account of the words of the song and their meaning:-

Colin.

Syd - 2012-03-22 4:15 PM

One from my library, picks me up when feeling jaded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwAOlpNw3Us

Well done Syd, welcome to the thread!

Yup, that's a great piece -- Sibelius 'breaks the mould' for 20th. Century music, writing truly accessible,but also highly original works, which owe little or nothing to anybody else -- a true 'one-off'

Cheers,

Colin.

Syd - 2012-03-22 4:31 PM

Piano player supream

He can tickle the ivories Syd, but he is far too egotistical for me -- here's what 'Guardian' chief music critic said about his Albert Hall concert last night -- and I am afraid that I agree! http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/mar/21/philharmonia-salonen-lang-lang-review?INTCMP=SRCH

Colin.

Syd - 2012-03-22 4:39 PM

Apologies for hogging the platform

Last one

My favourite Nessun Dorma

Who's hogging Syd? It's great to hear your favorites -- I run into the danger of 'hogging' if iIkeep answering everybody's posts!

Time for someone else to take over for a bit ( or 'come back' at me) perhaps?

Cheers,

Colin.

Archived