Motorhome Insurence ! who please

maggyd

maggyd - 2012-03-23 3:06 PM

We have just had our renewel quote £375 that is £85 more than last year with CaravanGuard, it does include Europian cover and breakdown. Can anyone recommend a better cheaper Insurer for the same cover. Thanks

Got mine down to £271, changing from Caravan Guard to safeguard

maggyd - 2012-03-23 3:06 PM

Can anyone recommend a better cheaper Insurer for the same cover. Thanks

As with most things, certainly with insurance,the words "better and cheaper" don't usually don't go together. Also there are so many variables regarding personal circumstances, vehicle, home address, annual mileage, where vehicle is kept which affect insurance premiums.

You will no doubt find various suggestions will be made. Personally, I have found throughout the last 10 years that for the cover I want The Camping and Caravanning Club has offered the cheapest premium.

We've had enough of a similar experience to make us look around this year. I am pleasantly surprised at the good cover at low premiums from both Comfort and from the CCC (as a member), in the latter case their Groupama based cover seems better for us than the Red Star policy they also do. My brother-in-law with a much more expensive 'van favoured Saga. It's amazing how insurance is always a 'moving target', not only are your own circumstances looked upon quite differently by different insurers but also they are likely to change their minds at any time without warning ... as motorcaravanwise did recently to us in handing our business over to an outfit called Coast. You can shop around of course but if of increasing years there can be advantages in being settled with the right insurer, we've certainly started asking about such things now. We do feel very comfortable with the CCC's approach, reputation, current quote and cover as reflected in their freely available faqs & policy document/s - you can even download an example policy on line - so that's the one we've chosen to go with. If of interest their monthly scheme isn't too bad either, a fraction of the APR being asked for by Coast/Zurich who seem to believe in usury!

Guest Tracker

There is no easy answer as different companies seem to have varying premiums at different times depending on their mood and approach to getting and retaining new business.

First thing is to phone around and get a few quotes and then see if your existing company will match it if you want to but be sure to compare like with like as scope of cover can vary widely.

Thanks for your replies, although in both clubs we have never had a quote for the van from them although we have had the travel insurence last year, also Ill try Safeguard and see what they quote, we did try Comfort that was a lot more £409. Thanks again.maggy.

We had a very similar experience and price as 'maggyd' with Caravanguard and moved to a AXA policy with Scenic just yesterday. They beat the previous year cost by over £30 which was £100 less than the Caravanguard quote.

Out of politeness I phoned Caravanguard to say I would not be renewing with them, they offered to look at the price they had quoted. I declined on the grounds that they had the opportunity to requote when I questioned the increase two weeks earlier.

I trust I am not going to hear all the bad experiences people have had with Scenic or I might have to eat humble pie before the 14 days cancellation period is up. :-(

Mines with the Caravan Club, already a member, so, i can discount the costs of joining,

Cost with 6 years no claim : £219.04 inc. tax. all with minimum excesses.

mind you I do live 'Out in the sticks'. Thats Comprehensive, but no recovery insurance.

i get that from Green Flag.

Ray ;-)

Forgot to mention thats on a £30,000 van.

maggyd - 2012-03-23 6:36 PM

Thanks for your replies, although in both clubs we have never had a quote for the van from them although we have had the travel insurence last year, also Ill try Safeguard and see what they quote, we did try Comfort that was a lot more £409. Thanks again.maggy.

Amazing how different they are for different people/vans, Comfort quoted us £258 only this week and that included a few optional extras.

neillking - 2012-03-24 1:37 PM

maggyd - 2012-03-23 6:36 PM

Amazing how different they are for different people/vans, Comfort quoted us £258 only this week and that included a few optional extras.

If I remember rightly Comfort was about the same as yours but minus the breakdown cover which was £59 extra the CaravanGuard is looking not so bad after all I have a couple more calls to make before we decide :-D thanks.

Similar to yours our Caravan Guard insurance was quoted at £406 as against £285 the previous year but we had new for old and changed address although the van is kept at the same secure site. Phoning round found Comfort and Frank Pickles charging £280 and £300 for a policy with Aviva but they dont offer protected no claims discount so when you add that back in Caravan Guard was still cheaper, Saga was £526, and Safeguard £429 for identical cover. Tried the C&CC but they didnt have the decency to phone back so they dont deserve any business from us. Caravasn Club £407 but that excluded UK and European breakldown cover so not competitive. Like others have said you do need to phone round and query what they want to charge.

Declared mileage can make quite a big difference. Ours is 8000 per year and being above average carries a small premium with most insurers. Longer term trips abroad can also be a big issue for some as can travel to more exotic locations like Morocco and attitudes to older drivers. Add in items like a modest excess, good keys cover and satellite included, to the competitive premium to tip the balance in favour of the CCC/Groupama policy at least as far as we're concerened.

We've chosen to separate our breakdown cover from insurance so that isn't really a factor for us. We're currently with RAC Arrival for five people but changing family circumstances means we will be changing that to ADAC for two of us - thought be many to be the best European cover. Conveniently our insurance expires in March and the Breakdown cover in August so a nice split in payments too.

Its not always about the cost. We had a no fault claim last year. And I now speak from personal experience. You never know how good your insurance company is until you have a claim. Our van was a write of and we have had no help from our insurance company at all. Next renewal no matter how cheap will not be with them.

Guest JudgeMental
have just renewed with Safeguard at slightly less then last year. I did not bother to ring around this time, as when I do Safeguard seem to offer good value. We had a claim in 2010 and they were very easy to deal with...and it has not affected cost from what I can see

Thanks to everyone for their imput :-D we have gone with Safeguard also, £332.40 as apposed to £373.50 quoted by Caravanguard and it also comes with breakdown cover by AA so thats another satisfied customer, the young lady told me that they have had lots of people that were with CG coming to them.

thanks again maggy.

Maggyd ,

WE have had the bad luck of having to use them twice now .

Once in France (first Class)

And once fully loaded on the M25 on rote to the shuttle , the engine dumped its oil resulting in a brand new engine and no holiday in the van.

Safegard were there both times and managed to tow us at over 3.8 .

I don't think you will be sorry you get what you pay for.

Thanks Michelle thats very reasureing :-D we had been with CG since 2006, we have never had to use them, I hope our luck continues but if we need to at least I know we shouldnt have a problem as everyone seems to rate Safeguard. maggy.

I have just renewed again with Comfort, £450 including full European  breakdown, Hymer  B694 tag axle, I shopped around as usual but found Comfort the best, not the cheapest but good cover , my engine has been chipped and an updated Turbo fitted, this causes all sorts of problems when enquiring about Insurance, as does Inverters, the Numpties at the call centres don't know what inverters are and get into a right tizz when you declare them as a modification.

Archived