Noisy under floor whale heater

tony51

Hi everybody, Ive just bought a new Elddis Autoquest 165, love the van, but the Whale under floor heater seems very noisy to me.

Have spoken to Whale and Ive sent them a video with sound, and they are going to get back to me, and give their opinion.

Has anybody out there got one of these heaters, and how noisy should it be, the other heaters Ive had in the past, the one with the fire in front, have always been more or less silent on the blower setting.

Cheers everybody

Tony, hello and welcome !

Whale heaters are relatively 'new' on the scene, so there won't be so many of them 'out here' yet, Plenty of Truma, Eberspacher, Webasto, and still a load of 'Carvers' still about, but not many Whale's as yet. sorry couldn't be more helpful. (mines an Eberspacher, by the way ) . Regards Ray (never mind someone else will be along soon).

Hi Tony - welcome to the mad house! :-D

I've just had a very, very quick scoot on the web and came across some caravan owners who also think it's a bit noisy, especially since some of them had it under their main bed so the 'quiet at night' operation wasn't.

collected a new Elddis 130 this month not had the heating on,but during the handover when the heating was tested my wife first said thats noisy how will yoiu hear the TV,I thought it was noisy too.

We were told its new it will get better but new I doubt this.

I have written to Elddis about other problem have you? who have you contacted at Whale,this is being sold as an improvement

collected a new Elddis 130 this month not had the heating on,but during the handover when the heating was tested my wife first said thats noisy how will yoiu here the TV,I thought it was noisy too.

We were told its new it will get better but new I doubt this.

I have written to Elddis about other problem have you? who have you contacted at Whale,this is being sold as an improvement

urbanracer - 2012-03-24 12:17 PM

Sorry about double posting but I cannot delete the second one.

Hi urbanracer

If you post something twice in error ( which is easily done ) you can always go into the second one using " Edit " and delete all the words - and type something else in if you wish.

You can't completely erase the entry.

But editing has to be done within 30 minutes of posting the entry you want to change/ delete.

;-)

Hi , I spoke to a guy called Mark, his email is marks@whalepumps.com, maybe if we all send a complaint they might actually do something, he was very helpful, and said he would get back to me on monday after listening to the recording.

Does yours have like a whooshing noise as well as the fan noise, I honestly thought there was something caught in the fan itself. Got to say Im a bit disappointed as I think this is the van for us for a few years, but I really think the noise is is going to drive us mad.

As you say it is sold as an improvement, which in some respects it is, space saving etc, but if this is the sound they make , I really don't think its fit for purpose, being in such a confined space.

Hope I hear on monday, will keep you posted

Tony

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I have just purchased an Elddis Xplore with a Whale underfloor heater and was led to believe it is the best thing for caravans since slice bread!

The quite setting is not quite and during the recent cold nights if you use this setting you have to be prepared for a sleepless or at least restless night. Comfort can be defined as the means in which you get rid of discomfort but can't see any solution to getting rid of the discomfort!

Quiet is defined as: "making no noise or Sound, especially no disturbing sound" it is therefore expected to be able to enjoy a tranquil or peaceful experience.

I'll also be emailing marks@whalepumps.com

Keep in touch readers and see where we go from here.

LS756

There are indeed quite a few reports of this system being noisy, not last from urbanracer:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Whale-heating/28982/#M333355

It seems that until Whale / Elddis sort a solution then it will be down to owner ingenuity. I'm thinking baffled boxes / redirected trunking / redirected induction / exhaust systems etc.

These are also fitted to the Vantage range of vans and whilst efficient are very noisy on gas and only work on an "on/off" basis, we cannot sleep at night with the gas heating on. On electric mode the 500W setting is just quiet enough to sleep through and the 1kW is OK if the TV or radio is on. On the Vantage the unit is fitted inside the van so the noise level is worse than if the unit was fitted outside. No space in the Vantage for a Truma fire, the quiet and cosy gas fire option. Can't have everything I suppose :-S

Archived