Car Accident

Syd

At least the occupants wouldn't have known much about it. I remember going to a road accident many years ago involving a Lotus Elan sports car. As some of you may know, the car is of fibre glass construction.

A similar thing happened where the Lotus just disintegrated on impact. Small pieces of debris comprising the car was strewn all over the road. Even the engine and gearbox were torn apart and scattered. The driver was killed on impact.

Having been the reporting officer in a few fatal RTAs ( Road Traffic Accidents then but now more correctly referred to as RTCollisions as very few if any are just an accident) and attended many more I have to agree that death of the occupants of the 4X4 must have been instantaneous.

However I have seen some remarkable survivals. One in particular sticks in my memory. It happened on a stretch of dual carriageway when a Ford Transit ran into the os rear corner of a stationary 32 ton truck that was parked almost off the road as there was only a narrow hard shoulder. The truck driver had stopped to speak to another driver from the same firm who was parked in a layby on the opposite carriageway.

It was only the the width of the Transits NS headlamp that hit the truck but on my arrival I could see the Transits front axle and wheels in the carriageway about 50 yards ahead of the truck. The remains of the Transit were nearer the truck consisting of the scuttle and steering wheel and platform with just the offside wall from the drivers doorway backwards standing to roof hight. The sliding drivers door was on the road.The entire : bonnet, windscreen surround, roof , NS wall and one back door were bailed tidily against the rear of the truck. It must have been a Thursday build as a high percentage of the spot welds allegedly holding the Transit together had readily unzipped with very litle of the tearing usually found.

I scanned the area looking for a mangled body but was interrupted by a shout from the opposite carriageway and found the Transit driver being looked after by the other drivers. His only injury was a small cut to the forehead!!!.

It transpired that he had been driving with his door open and during the instantaneous dismantlig process the door gap vanished past him. I shudder to think what his injuries would have been if the door had been shut. Reported for and pleaded guilty to Driving without due care.

The results of incidents like this are extremely unpredictable, just fractions of second can mean the difference between soiled underpants and a violent collision. If the truck in the clip had been about one second earlier or later at the point where the 4X4 crossed the centre reservation the result would have been very different.

At first viewing it looks like the 4X4 lost control because the drivers lack of care let it wander onto the packed snow on the centre reservation but after several looks at the clip I suspect that the wander may have been initiated by the windwash from the box van. I wonder if St Peter had heard that one before.

My blood ran cold watching that. It could have been us last Saturday. You just dont know whats around the corner. We were turning right on a busy and fast section of the A66 west of Scotch Corner, I had just pulled to a stop. Coach behind ploud straight into the back of Mrs D's little Micra and sent it spinning into the fast oncoming traffic which always includes loads of lorries. Luckily the driver of the nearest oncoming car managed to swerve off the road and missed a head on by inches but blew his tyres in the prcocess. We ended up in the field on the other side of the road.

Both walked away but it could easily have been the end in an instant. Currently doing some R&R on a CL on the Yorks coast so a happy ending.

Drive safe.

Can remember when our Motorways were like that, no barriers and people crossing over to the other side if they had missed their turning and no speed limit, just imagine doing 90+ in the outside lane then putting your right indicator on then joining the other carriageway in that outside lane 8-) Sends shivers through me even now, some of the antics they got up to.

Dave

The poor truck driver had no chance. From hitting the box van to impact with the truck was only slightly logner than than the time needed to begin reacting.

Slightly off subject, the people I really feel for are train drivers who spot persons intent on suicide on the track in the far distance and know they cannot stop in time. The wait for the impact must be awful.

I have been to those as well.

I once read of a newspaper reporter going to interview a traindriver after a man jumped off a bridge into his train in order to commit suicide.

As the reporter was sat in the mans lounge waiting for him to appear, a gaunt figure of a man on walking sticks came into the room, the reporter thought it was the traindrivers grandad, it was the driver himself, during the interview the driver said all he can see in his mind is the face of the suicide, wide open eyes and a gaping mouth as his head was smashed to a pulp when his head hit the trains windscreen, true of false I dont know but horrific.

Archived