Spring Clean

Bolly1965

I've just brought my motorhome back from winter storage and what a state it looks.

It's my fist year of owning a motorhome (1999 Herald Valencia) so I'm something of a newbie.

Just whay are those stubborn black streaks? I thought it was window sealant at first but they occur where there's no windows.

I have managed to get them off using Bug * Tar remover, but is there a way to stop them reoccuring?

Is there anything I should be doing before the start of the season (I'm going to flush through the water system etc.

Guest pelmetman

I assume your camper storage is outside?..............The black streaks one of the joys of camper ownership :D

Some stuff is better at removing them than others, we fortunately have a garage so don't have the problem ;-)

As for other checks, I'd just flush your tank as you said and check for bird nests which can be a problem when left outside for months..........although the nesting season is only just starting up here :D

Oh and check your tyres.........how old are they?.........have the sidewalls started to crack?......How long was it laid up for?.............I had a set of tyres go square once :$

I'd probably just go away locally for a long weekend to give everything a good test.............especially the wine cupboard light (lol)

Happy campering B-)

The tires are fine and no birds nests

There's a ladder at the rear - does that mean that the roof is strong enough to take my weight (i'm erm larger than the average) I really want to get up there and clean the roof. I have a set of step ladders but i'm hopeless up them

Funny as I'm tee-total - until i stay in the motorhome - what is it about fresh air and alcohol???

It's been laid up about 4 months but have taken it for a run a few times

Hi Bolly

I'm a fan of the Fenwick range of cleaners, (usually available at Halfords or most Caravan accessory stores)

I have some Fenwick's Black Streak Remover, which is actually a 10 to 1 solution of their highly concentrated Caravan Cleaner.

http://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/index.php?searchStr=fenwick&_a=viewCat&Submit=Go

Most of the black streaks originate from the Motorhome roof, but once removed the standard Fenwick cleaner does help to reduce their re-emergence.

Bolly1965 - 2012-03-25 10:07 AM

The tires are fine and no birds nests

There's a ladder at the rear - does that mean that the roof is strong enough to take my weight (i'm erm larger than the average) I really want to get up there and clean the roof.

Nope, you can't assume that I'm afraid ...

As for the black streaks - you can use baby wipes to remove them ... they work a treat! :-D

Archived