Newly qualified drivers

nightrider

...No.

Standard Licence allows for driving anything up to 3500kg at 17.

C1 Licence allows up to 7500kg at 18.

Insurance will depend on whether you can afford it ;-)

(Age limit of 21 applies with some exceptions to minibuses and PCVs)

The rules do change somewhat next year, though.

I don't know the definitive answer to the OP - but I wonder if there might be a gap between what the LAW says a person under 21 who has passed their driving test can drive, and what any INSURANCE COMPANY might be prepared to actually offer cover for.

Insurance companies are private businesses, in it for profit for their shareholders, not as a social service, thus I believe that they don't have to offer a policy to anyone.

There may be some risk profiles that, based on previous claims statistics, they feel are simply too great to cover at all, regardless of how high they might set the premium.

Thus it might perhaps be that there simply isn't an insurer out there prepared any longer to take the risk of quoting very young drivers for cover in vans, even though their licence says they are legally allowed on the road in such a vehicle?

I learnt to drive at 18, in a Ford Transit 35cwt twin rear wheel Van on a companies "Business" Insurance, but too many years ago to say that it is still possible.

A nephew is 21, but has had a Renault Traffic for 2-1/2years, so he can transport his Trial Bike.

Sorry I don't know who is insured with, but it is a "private" insurance,( i.e. Social, Domestic & Pleasure) as opposed to a "commercial" (i.e. Business Use) policy.

BGD - 2012-03-25 5:54 PM

Thus it might perhaps be that there simply isn't an insurer out there prepared any longer to take the risk of quoting very young drivers for cover in vans, even though their licence says they are legally allowed on the road in such a vehicle?

....if you Google "van insurance under 21" you will get a good few hits, and sites offering to quote. Whether it is then affordable for most proposers is a matter for some conjecture.

Archived