50 cc Scooters

Nick54

We are thinking of buying a 50 cc scooter to go on the back of a Hymer 512 camper ( We currently have 2 cycles). Can anyone give any advice on makes etc as I am aware that weight could be an issue. I realise it might be a bit underpowered for 2 but we do not intend to travel long distances on it.

Thanks

Nick54 - 2012-03-25 11:41 AM

We are thinking of buying a 50 cc scooter to go on the back of a Hymer 512 camper ( We currently have 2 cycles). Can anyone give any advice on makes etc as I am aware that weight could be an issue. I realise it might be a bit underpowered for 2 but we do not intend to travel long distances on it.

Thanks

The Honda Vision 110cc (102kgs) is not much heavier than many 50cc scooters. 50cc will be underpowered two up. One may have to get off to go up steep hills depending how heavy the driver and passengers are.

More a bike than a scooter but I am looking to purchase a Sachs Mad Ass 119cc. Very slim and 100Kg

will take 2 and will cruise at 60-80kph with about 80-100mpg. Bigger wheels so potentialy safer than a scooter. For me the width & height are important so I can get it into my Benima garage.

http://www.sachsmadass.co.uk/madass.html

Somewhat radical looking, but ideal for a motorhome & simple to service - German designed. Rear rack available on e-bay for a storage box if desired.

"Thanks for the information. Do you need to take a motorbike test to ride a bike that is bigger than 49cc and carry a passenger?"

The simple answer to that is yes, assuming your car licence covers you to ride a 50cc.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/.../RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/index.htm

will give you all the answers

laimeduck - 2012-03-25 2:25 PM

More a bike than a scooter but I am looking to purchase a Sachs Mad Ass 119cc. Very slim and 100Kg

will take 2 and will cruise at 60-80kph with about 80-100mpg. Bigger wheels so potentialy safer than a scooter. For me the width & height are important so I can get it into my Benima garage.

Somewhat radical looking, but ideal for a motorhome & simple to service - German designed. Rear rack available on e-bay for a storage box if desired.

I've seen those when in France/Germany, quite nice looking beasties - but I wouldn't like to have to ride pillion ... probably end up having to be unfolded at the end of the journey!!! 8-)

Nick54 - 2012-03-25 11:41 AM

Thanks

I believe that one of the forum members, ips, currently has a 50cc scooter for sale, might be worth PMing him.

Lifteime biker here........for our motorhome we went for the Honda Innova 125cc ( think "son of Honda C90"), at a smidge over 100kgs.

Utterly fantastic fun two-up.

Still does 90 kms per hour. Big 17 inch wheels so MUCH more stable than a tiddly-wheeled scooter.

Totally bulletproof, and the simplest thing ever to self maintain.

We put a tall windscreen, and a monster 50 litre topbox on it, just to make it more ugly.

We've done over 11,000 kms on it in the past 18 months, and love it.

If you still enjoy cycling but want a bit extra consider electric bikes. Range up to 40 miles, no faffing about with insurance, maintenance, and MOTs, less to carry as regards safety clothing. (Do were a helmet !)

Weight about 27 kgs, but bikes are the same weight as ordinary bikes on a rack, if you carry the batteries in the m/Home.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/

We have a couple of Freego Eagles.

Rgds

We had a Piaggio 50cc scooter during the 90s which we carried on a rack on the back of a Herald Templar. I always thought the long wheelbase of this van was what made it ideal for this purpose.

The Piaggio had no problem climbing steep hills with 2 up as long as I kept the revs up, but of course that was not at a high road speed owing to the small capacity of the engine. The Camping and Caravan Club had a holiday site high above Brixham harbour and it could get up there ok.

I believe that one of the forum members, ips, currently has a 50cc scooter for sale, might be worth PMing him.

Would have been ideal for him unfortunately its sold....

As long as you get a 50cc deristrcted then 40mph two up can be acheived hills no problem....steep hills will be very very slow going but you just have to pick your route accordingly. We had great fun on ours untill mrs ips hip went dodgy closely followed by my hip and sciatica problems. The piagio zip 50 is prob the lightest available however they are small.

laimeduck - 2012-03-25 2:25 PM

Must admit I like the look of it ! (I have a full m/c licence) but the 'Mrs' thinks that the name 'Suits me'

just a bit too much. *-) *-) Ray

Archived