Removable Solar Panel?

Cattwg

Yes, we have an Alden 75w one which we had moved from our Rimor to our Chausson by the dealer as part of the purchase, if not I'd have done it myself, but it wasn't a problem for them, they also moved over our 2nd leisure battery too, put on the bike rack I'd taken with me which I'd got second hand and also put a Status 530S aerial on for us.

They bought some new mounting brackets specific to our model of panel and used those to put it on the Chausson, rather than spend time having to remove the ones on the Rimor, which they could then do at another time at their leisure.

It works perfectly ... I've never understood people leaving loads of kit on their PX motorhomes and buying new .... :-S

Forgot to say, if you put the panel on yourself, just 'stick' it on - don't use any screws, that way when you move it to another van you don't leave any holes except the one where the cable goes through thus minimising possible water ingress for the new owner.

I have used the same panel on a variety of caravans and motorhomes since 1999.

The self made aluminium brackets have always been glued to the roof (no screws) and the panel bolted to the brackets.

When changing vehicle inform the buyer (dealer) what you are doing and just disconnect and unbolt the panel leaving the brackets and cable junction box attached to the roof.

Use Sikaflex for bonding the brackets to the roof, it is reliable and effective if you following the instructions.

I suppose the panel I use will eventually need replacing but I think it had a twenty year guarentee.

I used 2 part brackets the base part glues to the roof & the other part is fixed to the panel they fix together with a 6mm bolt. Not bothered about removing the panel when I sell the van, I did so I could easily change a panel if it got damaged or packed up.

Mel B - 2012-03-25 9:39 PM

I've never understood people leaving loads of kit on their PX motorhomes and buying new

My thoughts exactly Mel hence my question.

Thank you to all who replied to my query.

John :-D

thebishbus - 2012-03-26 12:46 PM

If you are just sticking it on, and you have a panel van or an aluminium roof M/H, do you remove the paint first, or just stick it to the paint? Brian B.

That's a very good point Brian. Do you know what the professionals do?

John :-D

I have always just stuck the brackets onto the existing surface.

The way to prepare the surface is included with theSikaflex instruction sheet. The two surfaces to be joined must be clean, dry, free from oil or grease,loose paint or old sealant. Spread or spot the adhesive onto the required position and press the components into place.

The glue line should not be less than 2mm in thickness and you may have to use spacers to achieve this. (Eg when fitting the base of a satellite system to the roof of a van)

Sika produce a surface cleaner- No. 205 for cleaning surfaces prior to spreading the adhesive.

Sika will not bond to PTFE, Silicone, Polythene or Polypropylene

Archived