Vehicle Battery woes

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Battery in panel van keeps on going flat. arranged to have it tested at local Fiat agent. he stuck test on it and came back 80% and healthy..I explained it had been on mains charge for a month! and if I left it of charge it was flat in a week. I have already had FIAT camper assist out *-)

Fiat say as test says healthy they wont change it. I have had vans for years, last coachbuilt would sit on handstand for months at a time, and no problem with starting ever (over 4 years) this van is only 10 months old

I use the van far more then CB, maybe 2-4 times a week,. but can leave it for a week or so at times and this is when problem shows itself. I had a switch fitted on radio but this has made no difference so only draw is alarm

Guest Tracker
You could let it go flat and call out Fiat breakdown - assuming you got this cover as part of your purchase - and let them test it when it's flat and see what they make of it then?

Guest JudgeMental
Tracker - 2012-03-26 5:37 PM

You could let it go flat and call out Fiat breakdown - assuming you got this cover as part of your purchase - and let them test it when it's flat and see what they make of it then?

tried that first time and they just jump started it :-S Like you say a second time might be more successful if I stand my ground. Of to Spain tomorrow week, would have liked it sorted by then, so will have to leave till we return in May :-S

Guest Tracker
JudgeMental - 2012-03-26 5:56 PM

Tracker - 2012-03-26 5:37 PM

tried that first time and they just jump started it :-S Like you say a second time might be more successful if I stand my ground. Of to Spain tomorrow week, would have liked it sorted by then, so will have to leave till we return in May :-S

Have a good trip Eddie - you could always carry a spare battery as a back up I suppose!!

Just a thought - does the van design and layout make it feasible to have jump leads long enough to jump from leisure battery to engine battery for an emergency boost?

Guest JudgeMental

Not really worried, will have a cup of tea and watch a movie while waiting for Fiat Camper assist*-)

we are staying on site with all the trimmings and unlikely to run flat on route...

The first thing you need to do is establish the discharge from battery, this will tell you if it's battery or alarm/systems that are causing problem.

According to Fiat the battery should last 1 month without running engine, well they don't actualy say that but do say engine should be run at least once per month. At a guess if mine recieves no charge from solar then it will last (at least) 1 month, the differance being I have no alarm.

peter - 2012-03-26 10:09 PM

No alarm, where exactly in bedforshire is it you live Colin?. (lol) :D

The security on (and around) my van is very much above that on most, it just doesn't have one of those silly things that everone ignores ;-)

On monday I drove van for 120miles, just checked vehicle battery to find it had dropped slightly today, thought that was odd as the overflow from solar on hab battery should have kept it topped up, then reliased I'd forgotten to remove radio front, modern electrics suck.

Guest JudgeMental

I had a PM from member, saying that the Fiat had a demanding ECU and flat battery was a common occurrence...

Fiat customer services are investigating the situation and MIGHT pay for battery...not sure yet. May have to wait till after month in Spain...

left on mains twin leisure battery's read full on LEDs on Adria panel, BUT vehicle battery never gets above 12 -12.5 v.. when Fiat tested it after 4 weeks on charge it was 80%

Guest JudgeMental

Just had a call from FIAT CUSTOMER SERVICES, I understand now why people stay well clear of FIAT as they are unbelievable! They are refusing to change battery as dealer test shows it as healthy at 80% I have explained it should be 100% as has been on mains for over a month!

Garage only did a health check and not test for dead cells so I don't know what is going on...I will just go on holiday and when I return will let to it go flat, call out FIAT camper assist AGAIN and refuse a jump start this time, and take it from there.....

Can I ask you knowledgeable people, what voltage should vehicle battery show on Adria panel (11.5 - 13v) as mine never gets above 12-12.5v where leisure batters show 13 v (full charge)

at the end of the day all i want is a reliable vehicle.. *-)

Guest Tracker

Have you got a digital volt meter Eddie? Well worth carrying as you can test many things and also check the accuracy or the Adria panel.

A fully charged 12 volt battery should settle at about 12.75 to 12.8 volts as I understand it but different sources show slightly differing figures.

To charge properly a battery needs over 14 volts - 14.4 is about usual - going in and with a meter you can check this from the alternator. I doubt the onboard charger will reach anything like that which is why the leisure battery never gets fully charged.

If you engine battery is still only at 12.5 volts after a decent drive maybe there is a fault with the charging system or even a bad earth connection.

No doubt the experts will be along later to elaborate but meanwhile hope that helps.

Eddie,

the only accurate way to measure the voltage with a meter (as opposed to via the specific gravity) is with a decent device (multimeter) connected directly across the terminals (and preferably with the battery disconnected in order to eliminate any load).

A fully charged battery which has been stood off-charge for some hours should read somewhere between 12.7 and 12.75V, but any wiring between the panel and the terminals could well cause voltage drop. Your vehicle and leisure batteries could easily be at the same voltage, but with different wire gauge and length between them and the panel being responsible for the different reading. Panels are notoriously badly calibrated from the factory, and should, IMO, be used only as a relative indication of charge (unless properly calibrated against a good, direct meter reading), rather than an accurate measure.

In reality, even your leisure batteries should settle down to the above voltages after some hours off-charge, not the 13V you mention.

(I calibrated the panel in my previous Rapido to the directly multimeter-measured leisure battery terminal voltage - since this was usually what I wished to keep an eye on. In this state, however, it (the panel) always under-reported the vehicle battery voltage against a similar direct measurement - a symptom of voltage drop in the wiring to the vehicle battery).

According to John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual", approximate charge states for a 12V battery (after being allowed to stand 'idle' for at least 4 hours, with all appliances disconnected, and measured at the battery's terminals) are

12.7V or over - 100% charge

12.5V - 75% charge

12.4V - 50% charge

12.2V - 25% charge

12V or under - Discharged

Eddie,

'Scuse the impertinence because all of our vehicles are 'just' vans but I should like to enquire as to whether you have experienced any of the classic earth related problems like slight increase in revs at idle; especially with the lights on?

Even so; assuming there is not a conversion based drain on the battery it would be well worth getting a secondary earth put on between the chassis and gearbox end plate. You should not have to do this but if it gives peace of mind, why not and I would rather waste £20 to £30 than be inconvenienced by a failure to start.

Nick

JudgeMental - 2012-03-28 9:35 AM

Can I ask you knowledgeable people, what voltage should vehicle battery show on Adria panel (11.5 - 13v) as mine never gets above 12-12.5v where leisure batters show 13 v (full charge)

at the end of the day all i want is a reliable vehicle.. *-)

Eddie,

My LT315 shows full green on cab battery on hook up all the time

Andy

Guest JudgeMental

Tested with multimeter and battery reading 12.38

I had been driving around in it yesterday for about an hour

EDIT: have just put van on 230v and vehicle battery now reading 12.80 V so sounds like its getting the charge OK? :-S

Guest Tracker

That suggests that either the battery is duff or it is not charging properly from the alternator.

What is the battery voltage direct on the terminals when the engine is running?

As Nick says - I would be inclined to suspect the earth connection from battery to chassis and it should not be too hard to check this for cleanliness and security.

Another idea is to check each connection and terminal for warmth as when electrical resistance is high and current flow is restricted the contact point can get quite warm - hot even. That said if it does not feel warm to the touch it does not always mean it is good as it depends on the level of current trying to pass.

I'm trying to think of another way to check? Maybe check the voltage with the engine running between the positive battery terminal and the engine block and if that differs from the voltage across the terminals then there is definitely a bad contact somewhere. I must confess to being unsure if this would work as a diagnostic - but worth checking anyway!

Sorry I can't be more help.

Guest JudgeMental

with engine running its 14.6 so alternator sounds OK?

If i check between red & neutral on chassis it is the same voltage 14.6

yesterday Fiat seemed inclined to change it, and it was the blooming garage saying it was 80% and healthy stopped them!

so just went back to garage and he said they will take out battery, leave it on there charger overnight and that should tell if its OK or not.....Will it I wonder? This will have to wait until after holiday now

JudgeMental - 2012-03-28 1:14 PM

so just went back to garage and he said they will take out battery, leave it on there charger overnight and that should tell if its OK or not.....Will it I wonder? This will have to wait until after holiday now

....if it's put on a decent charger, then taken off and left for (I would suggest) 24 hours before checking with a meter, and the voltage then still reads 12.7V or over, then the likelihood that the problem is the battery itself is low.

Guest Tracker
Robinhood - 2012-03-28 1:39 PM

....if it's put on a decent charger, then taken off and left for (I would suggest) 24 hours before checking with a meter, and the voltage then still reads 12.7V or over, then the likelihood that the problem is the battery itself is low.

For 'low' I would read suspect duff?

It sounds as if the charging circuit and earth return are OK Eddie - so that just leaves the battery as suspect - unless it has a continuous heavy current drain on it?

All modern vehicles suffer from battery drain to keep all the electronics alive but some are worse than others it seems.

I don't know what the standing current consumption should be on an X250 but you could use your meter to check for the current loss with everything off which, at a guess, should be in the order of about 150 to 250 milliamps. Any more and there may be a problem elsewhere in the electronics gubbins which is draining the battery and making it look duff. You would probably need a competent auto electrician to find it and I don't know whether Fiat employ such expertise or not!

Have you discussed your own voltage readings with Fiat - always assuming they will listen?

Check with the handbook first before disconnecting the battery to check the current drain just in case there are any issues that might arise when reconnecting it?

Archived