Which wind-out awning?

CPeachey

We are planning to have a wind-out awning fitted to our Trigano Tribute (550 style) high top Ducato at one of the shows this spring. Probably 2.9mtrs. There are 2 makes and several models to choose from. We don't want a "privacy room". Which make/model is generally preferred?

Chris

Hi Chris

We have had a Fiamma on previous Motorhome & an Omnistor on our current Motorhome.

They are very similar, but the Omnistor (now Thule) does appear to be a bit more substantial, although at higher cost.

The Fiamma is available from more outlets & showing more spares availability.

The Fiamma also appears to have a wider range of fitting kits for different vans, but others may know different.

There is also now a Dometic manual & motorised Awnings, recently new to the market, but not 2.9m (2.5m or 3.1m nearest)

http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/conradanderson-prices/awnings-prices.htm

Guest peter
As Flicka says. We have a fiamma 45s. Make sure you get the tie downs that hook into the front rail of the fiamma if you get one. They are way better than the ones that go over the top of the awning material.

We have a Fiamma Too, ours is an F65 which fits 'on' the roof of our 'Low profile' Autocruise, means that it doesn't increase the van's Width. Never had any problems 'Quality Wise' with either this or a previous one, an F45 on our previous Autosleeper.

I believe that the 'Omnistor' is a quality product too, but never had one.

Always use 'Guy cords' to hold it down, even if it's only up for 1/2 Hour.

For us, it's a' Must have' accessory.

;-) Ray

Fiamma are cheaper but that doesn't mean they're rubbish, they are, as far as I'm aware, the most commonly 'installed' awning. The Omnistor ones are more expensive and are a bit more robust, but unless you were going to get a massive (ie 4m long) one or attach a safari room all the time, to me it seems extra money for no real benefit.

A free-standing awning can be attached to either of the fixed awnings so that doesn't make a difference.

If you join a certain 'fun' forum (for £10 a year) you will get a 5% discount off at Johns Cross motorhomes who go to most shows and usually offer free fitting if you buy one there - you do need to get 'in the queue early' though to get a fitting slot.

peter - 2012-03-26 9:25 PM

As Flicka says. We have a fiamma 45s. Make sure you get the tie downs that hook into the front rail of the fiamma if you get one. They are way better than the ones that go over the top of the awning material.

If you mean the tie down strap, I know some put it over the material but is meant to go over the arms and not over material.

edit - forgot to mention. I was also going to say I have seen more collaspsed and distorted omnistor awnings than I have Fiamma ones. Does this mean Omnistor are more common or are not as robust?

We've had both(..currently got an Omnistor)and to be honest,we haven't found any major difference between the two(..both are quite "delicate"...)

We did initially find the Omnistor to be more "clattery", on opening and closing.This wasn't helped by our's sitting a few mm low the one end and unlike the Fiamma,apart from fitting shims,which I've done,there's no way of adjusting them...

Which ever you choose,just think of it as a sunshade to be used in calm conditions(..and NOT as a rain canopy,to be used in the depths of a UK winter)..ALWAYS strap it down...and NEVER leave it out when you're away from the van..

Personally,I think they're expensive for that they are/do and unless I was touring sunnier climes(..where a "quick sunshade" was required),I wouldn't go out and have one fitted again...

I'd just look at fitting a decent,tidy awning rail...this would then enable the use of a simple tarp type canopy and various awnings...

(We use one of these, more often than not:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/membershop/bd_easicanopy.asp )

Chris I have a Tribute 650 and I bought and fitted a fiamma awning my self dead easyto fit, as the fixing brackets already exist on the ducato roof, you just need to buy the brackets that hold the awning on to the van. The tribby group are holding a meet at the Peterborough show http://www.tribby.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1639 If you are there come along and have a chat there are a couple of us that have awnings fitted or join us for the weekend. Also to add the fiamma tie down is better than just slinging a starp over the top of the Awning. Phil

My new van is coming with a Fiamma F65 Awning.

Looks like the tie-down kit is a must and I am thinking of buying the Fiamma "S" kit. Are the foot plates which claim to assist the stability of the fold-down legs also worth having ?

Thanks in anticipation.

We just use a pair of the light duty ratchet straps,wrapped around the front "beam"..

(..but no matter what you use,if a gust of wind is intent at getting under a 6m X 3m canopy,a few tent pegs aren't going to do an awful lot anyway.. and something is going to "give"... ;-) )

As for the base plates,well I've never used them but as legs are telescopic(and quite flimsy),personally,there seems little point in securing the bottom with umpteen pegs,when the leg sections themselves are only held together by flimsy plastic/alloy clips....

I did however see someone use homemade plywood bases,on which he'd sat a couple of large plastic water containers..but this was on tarmac,hardstanding(..and they were sitting at the van..)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tilt one end down in the rain, roll it in if the wind gets up, roll it out for shade then find the shade falls on to the next pitch, sorry to put a spanner in the works, but it is the one single thing that I have found to be a waste of money and effort, I would never buy another one in the light of our experiences with them, :-(

The Tribute 550 I believe is a 5.41m van conversion surprised that you can only fit a 2.9m long awning our Devon Tempest MWB van is a little longer at 5.55m but ours has a colour coded Omnistor 6002 which is 3.00m long! Have had the fiamma brand before and dont think there is much to choose between the 2!

HymerVan - 2012-03-28 8:34 AM

My new van is coming with a Fiamma F65 Awning.

Looks like the tie-down kit is a must and I am thinking of buying the Fiamma "S" kit. Are the foot plates which claim to assist the stability of the fold-down legs also worth having ?

Thanks in anticipation.

probably, anything to keep it 'firm' if a sudden gust springs up, Just ALWAYS use them.The one time you forget will be the day the awning ends up blown over the top of the van. Seen so many, and the unfortunates always blame the 'Flimsy' Awning. Not their lack of common sense. We live in Britain, it is Windy and rains a lot (although not much in the East it seems ?). Ray ;-)

They seem a bit expensive for what they are.And the best place to 'Anchor' the awning is at the frame arms. and as '1 foot' says 'Tilt' to one side to allow the rain to run off.

You must buy Fiamma for a panel van as it comes with a strip for preventing water running between the roof and the blind into the side door opening.

I've an Omnistor on my panel van. There is no drip strip and, while you can purchase a strip for an Omnistor, it is around £40 and comes in white which against a coloured van doesn't look good.

If you fit the blind yourself make sure it is positioned forward of the sliding door; otherwise water drips off the end of the blind into the door opening.

I have owned both Fiamma nd Omnistor blinds on a panel van and in my experience Fiamma is far better for a panel van.

pepe63 - 2012-03-28 8:59 AM

(..but no matter what you use,if a gust of wind is intent at getting under a 6m X 3m canopy,a few tent pegs aren't going to do an awful lot anyway.. and something is going to "give"... ;-) )

That is why you should use the Fiamma tie down kit. It is not secured with tent pegs but heavy duty stakes. The retaining straps attach to damping springs which help to relieve the tension on stakes.

I used to use a standard ratchet strap and always wind the awning in at the slightest indication of wind. Now quite happy to leave the awning out in moderate wind.

We have had both makes. The Omnistore seems a little more robust but the shorter ones do not have the facility for a central support rafter which I would have liked. Not much to choose between them. Do make sure you follow the instructions with regard winding them part out and supporting them on the legs for the final section. Both offer a sun blocker which simply slide in the slot and pegs down. Provides extra shade and helps to stabalise the awning if the wind gets up. If it does get windy make sure you have someone holding each leg while you wind it in to prevent the wind getting under it and taking it over the roof with disastrous resuts!

AliB - 2012-03-28 11:14 AM

pepe63 - 2012-03-28 8:59 AM

That is why you should use the Fiamma tie down kit. It is not secured with tent pegs but heavy duty stakes. The retaining straps attach to damping springs which help to relieve the tension on stakes.

I used to use a standard ratchet strap and always wind the awning in at the slightest indication of wind. Now quite happy to leave the awning out in moderate wind.

The point I'm trying to make is,that not how secure you anchor the straps to the ground,if the fabric gets hit by a gust,it will only end up twisting the alloy arms or damaging the fabric itself and even the slightest twist to the arms will cause problems with closing/winding..

...Hence my "something is going to give"..

Pepe63,

I agree, the wind has to go somwhere, The slight advantage over a Frame tent or a 'Sided' awning is that the wind can 'Escape' straight out of the sides, It doesn't act like a Sail. With 'Shock absorbers' on the frame arms (standard on Fiamma), some of the shock of a sudden gust is dissapated. But any prolonged windy spell.... and I wind it in, (with all 13 stone of me firmly gripped onto it, while it is wound in !). I still wouldn't be without one, more of a rain cover, than a Sun canopy in this country though !!. ;-) Ray

What a lot of replies! I'm still digesting them. Can't make Peterborough unfortunately (mother-in-law's 100th birthday looms!) but hope to make Newbury. Sounds like we will get a Fiamma whatever maximum width fits. Also with the anchor accessories.

Chris

Chris, I suggest also getting a rain tensioning bar for the fabric. I prefer the flat one and not the curved one. It tensions the fabric in the centre to stop pooling of water, but it also helps keep the fabric from flapping in a breeze and the centre of the front rail in place and stops it bending in slightly.

Jon

On the subject of the fabric flapping...

When we had our previous van(which had a Fiamma),it did look into getting some of the angle/edge sections stuff,as used for the privacy/safari rooms and "clamps" on the edges of the fabric.The thought being that a retaining strap could then also be thrown over the fabric(..I even put a half-hearted bid on some on ebay)....

But I abandoned the idea,as it would've been too much of a faff..and would meant that it couldn't be wound back in easily,if/when the wind got up...

• 2 weeks later...

We have settled on a Fiamma F65. Our Ducatto Trbute high-top 2005 MWB has a black bar on the roof which measures 3.29mtrs suggesting that a 3.2mtr awning will fit ok....but....Fiamma and a couple of their dealers say fit a 2.9mtr. We would rather have the extra foot. Can anyone confirm that a 3.2mtr will fit ok as I may be fitting it myself as we seem to be a bit too busy to make a show.

Chris

Archived