Brittany Ferries Winter Schedule

Mike B.

Does anyone know when Brittany Ferries publish their winter schedule/prices to Spain?

Never used this route before but on checking the price for Van, Trailer & Cabin accom for November it isn't that much more than the journey by Eurotunnel & road would cost and might be a better option.

Thought about probable discount through CC and it makes it within £50 on my reckoning-well worth a look.

Anyone got experience of January fares/schedules for this year as a guide?

Also do they run from Southampton/Portsmouth in Winter or is it only Plymouth?

Mike

johnnerontheroad - 2012-03-26 8:47 PM

The winter schedule is out about mid July,we used it this year in Jan back March it was very good I booked direct never thought about CC may try it for next year. Look out for some of the sailings they are two nights not one, they stop in france for a crew change.

Dave

Thanks Dave

I'll look out for it then.

What sort of price did you get for out in Jan? I have a 7m x 3m van + 3m x 1.8m trailer and the fare in November direct was £395-reckon this will be about £50 less with CC with a bit of luck!

Was the sea rough around the Bay of Biscay? This is the only thing that puts me off going that way rather than a 3 day trip through cold France.

Mike

Guest peter

We went to santander in jan' this year and it was Just over £400 with a dog friendly cabin, one way.

We thought the same as you, that it's not a lot more than driving down through france for 3 days and using your gas up and freezing. There's also the fuel and tolls to take into account. We reckoned it was no more than £100 more,and well worth the difference. We stopped at camping bardenas, a new site, about half way between santander and bennicassim, where we were staying. We did drive back up through france in march though, as its more likely to be a bit milder, and it was.

peter - 2012-03-26 9:20 PM

We went to santander in jan' this year and it was Just over £400 with a dog friendly cabin, one way.

We thought the same as you, that it's not a lot more than driving down through france for 3 days and using your gas up and freezing. There's also the fuel and tolls to take into account. We reckoned it was no more than £100 more,and well worth the difference. We stopped at camping bardenas, a new site, about half way between santander and bennicassim, where we were staying. We did drive back up through france in march though, as its more likely to be a bit milder, and it was.

Thanks Peter

Did you have the trailer with you included in that price?

I am thinking of doing the same and driving back through France in March as it will be a lot nicer than Jan and can 'meander' rather than just bomb on bored to tears. We are going down to Portugal 1st then across to C-d-S and up East side. Gonna do the 'La Pinguinos' rally en route on the way down and it's only 4.5 hours to Valladolid from Bilbao. Consequently, ferry Portsmouth/Bilbao would be perfect for us and if it's there or thereabouts price wise that's the route I think

Mike

Mike B. - 2012-03-26 9:10 PM

The winter schedule is out about mid July,we used it this year in Jan back March it was very good I booked direct never thought about CC may try it for next year. Look out for some of the sailings they are two nights not one, they stop in france for a crew change.

Dave

Thanks Dave

What sort of price did you get for out in Jan? I have a 7m x 3m van + 3m x 1.8m trailer and the fare in November direct was £395-reckon this will be about £50 less with CC with a bit of luck!

Was the sea rough around the Bay of Biscay? This is the only thing that puts me off going that way rather than a 3 day trip through cold France.

Mike

Mike,

I am bigger than you 8Mts+ 3mts+ high it cost £895 return out 5 Jan back 5 March the crossing in the channel was rough on the way out and we were late leaving about 3am not 10pm, the bay was fine both ways and they do sail close to the french cost line. Oh the price was for an outside cabin. Talking to people who drove through france at the same time the weather was realy bad with high winds and rain.

Dave

johnnerontheroad - 2012-03-26 9:45 PM

Mike B. - 2012-03-26 9:10 PM

Dave

Thanks Dave

Mike

Mike,

I am bigger than you 8Mts+ 3mts+ high it cost £895 return out 5 Jan back 5 March the crossing in the channel was rough on the way out and we were late leaving about 3am not 10pm, the bay was fine both ways and they do sail close to the french cost line. Oh the price was for an outside cabin. Talking to people who drove through france at the same time the weather was realy bad with high winds and rain.

Dave

Thanks Dave

Just done a price check on 8m rather than 7 for Nov and it works out about £30 more for the extra metre -dividing your price by 2 for single journey, it works out about same price in Nov as Jan. Not bothered about being late-(or if it's rough when I'm in bed!) as I will be arriving in Spain in plenty of time for the rally.

Think I'll take the easy option this time and try the ferry

Mike

Guest peter
We didn't have a trailer Mike. But we will have next year to bring back the contraband red wine at 2 euros a pop. We have thought that we might take in the penguin rally as well, they're looking at 30,000 bikes next year. That should be aweome. We are also going to go down to portugal in early jan' and work our way round the south coast and benidorm then on up to benicassim for 1st of march until beginning of april.

peter - 2012-03-26 10:00 PM

We didn't have a trailer Mike. But we will have next year to bring back the contraband red wine at 2 euros a pop. We have thought that we might take in the penguin rally as well, they're looking at 30,000 bikes next year. That should be aweome. We are also going to go down to portugal in early jan' and work our way round the south coast and benidorm then on up to benicassim for 1st of march until beginning of april.

Be nice if you did Peter. A few Union Jacks would be nice on the Banner Run would be good. The Aire is free or there is a payable one with services & EHU if you want to save your gas. Rally is 25 Euros next year for 4 days (inc free penguin stew!) and we've already been invited to the French Aperitif party on Saturday night.

Think I've made my mind up now and going to go on the boat-don't need a dog friendly cabin (Jackie's Houstrained now! :-D )

Mike

We do he trip via the Bay on a regular basis. We have found it well worth while to join the Clubvoyage scheme operated by Brittany Ferries.

We hava a 7 metre motorhome and a 4 metre trailer. We book a pet friendly cabin now on the Bilbao to Portmouth route and in two weeks time the fare should be £588.50 but pay £462.80 through the scheme.

If we drive to our home in Southport via France we cover 1275 miles. Using the Bay we cover just 605 miles and it takes nothing out of the motorhome, you or the dog!

Enjoy the trip.

Live to Ride.

David.

Hi All

I contacted Brittany Ferries for advice and they told me their schedule/prices for Winter 2013 should be available end of July but if I wanted to book now I could do and they would guarantee the price for January. Also said it would be the same as November give or take a pound or two except for the 1st-6th January.

Mind made up-we are going to try this route next winter.

Thanks for all the replies

Mike

Archived