Ducato; exhaust gas recirculation valve/relay

snowie

I had our 08 reg Ducato MOT'd yesterday, and it passed, as I expected. However, I was aware of a slight "fan like" noise on tickover. My garage tell me that it is likely to be a problem with the exhaust gas recirculation valve, or more accurately the relay that controls the recirc' function.

It doesn't appear to affect the exhaust emissions at the moment, and the van doesn't produce clouds of black or white smoke.

I've seen mention of this problem on a forum, but not this one, and I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this. Our van is now out of warranty, and I'd be interested to hear if this is a significant problem?

regards

alan b

Hello,

I am guessing that you have the 2.3 engine.

If you have the engine running and reach behind the metal cover that comes down from the windscreen scuttle into the engine bay you will find a solenoid valve with 2 rubber pipes coming out of the back of it. If you carefully remove the right hand pipe you should hear the noise stop. If you do; it is the valve that needs replacing, if you don't it's the throttle body that is defective. In very rare cases, the solenoid valve will be hot to the touch which means you will be changing both items.

I am on my way out of the door at the moment but will be back tomorrow if you need more info.

Nick

Thanks Nick, that's right 2.3, the mechanic fiddled about behind that cover and the noise stopped; not sure if he's aware of the options; not a Fiat garage now as out of warranty and I like to use my regular local garage.

I'll pass the info on. Important to narrow it down before replacing anything!

Not clear how important it is, and whether it needs sorting asap? Fuel consumption or emissions?

regards

alan b

I bought a Transit fitted with EGR and after a couple of months, I disconnected the two pipes and blanked them off. I checked the fuel consumption on the same runs over the next months and it was 3mpg better.

A Ford commercial fitter told me that he had seen inlet manifolds so crudded up that there was only about 25% of the original area available. The van went through 4 or 5 MOT's with no trouble, but it was nearly 10 years ago. It could be a problem to isolate the EGR nowadays with the emissions levels being tighter controlled.

The fitter told me that EGR for emissions on a petrol engine is a good idea, but less so on a diesel with the exhaust containing oily, sticky particulates.

Hello,

Yes we have seen the simply incredible amount of gunge that accumulates in even supposedly healthy transit engines (worst is the 2.0). This demonstrates a rather clueless approach to design; like so much from Ford.

Thankfully this problem does not affect Ducato engines. The problem is the butterfly valve in the throttle body. Vehicles before mid 2008 are most affected, after this a modified and improved valve was fitted. For 2009 yet another unit was fitted that had a different electrical connection and this requires a new wiring loom to use! Thankfully the mid version can still be obtained from Iveco dealers!

Nick

Archived