'Portable' 'Easy' 'Affordable' insulation from grass for our MH

Himnme

Help! We live in the country. Our driveway is too small but a local farmer will let us have space in a field. The ground is solid, but the dampness from the grass is having an adverse effect on the underside of our rather old van. What can we put down to keep the underside protected from damp? Would Mypex be enough - or is there a more 'substantial' rubber matting or similar?

We shall be grateful for any wise advice. :-)

Guest pelmetman

You could try damp proof membrane from a builders merchants, which is pretty cheap, although it will kill the grass, mind you if you lift it each time you take the van out it will give the grass time to recover.

Just one other thought I'd put a couple of old scaffold boards below the plastic to form a ridge to stop any rain puddling underneath ;-)

I have my doubts that putting a barrier to damp under you van will be effective. The real problem is on a cold morning with high humidity the metal surfaces will stream with moisture from the general environment. My van stands on a concrete drive but still runs with moisture most mornings.

There is a lot to be said for protecting the underside with one of the wax type oils. Its best done from new but even on elderly vehicles is slows the dreaded galloping rust considerably. Most of them work by covering the metal with an oxygen excluding film with corrosion inhibiting additives.

That reminds me its a couple of years since I last did mine. I like to refresh the dose every couple of years.

Guest pelmetman
Yep... Waxoyl is a good idea......................had mine done for the first time last year :-D...............probably 21 years too late (lol)

Archived