Oyster Vision satelite problems

Arthur Maude

I have an Oyester Vision automatic satellite system fitted to my Hymer motorhome, since last year I have been unable to automatically lock onto Asta 2 satellite, due, I believe to a change in the signal being transmitted.

My control box is the early one that has to 3 sections of Europe on the front and have been told that the box cannot be upgraded and a new box will cost in the order of £800.

The only way I can log onto Asta 2 is to search for Astra 1 and then switch to manual setup and adjust the dish until I have a signal.

Has anyone had any luck in finding and alternative way of locking on to Astra 2.

regards

Arthur Maude - 2012-03-31 10:44 AM

I have an Oyester Vision automatic satellite system fitted to my Hymer motorhome, since last year I have been unable to automatically lock onto Asta 2 satellite, due, I believe to a change in the signal being transmitted.

My control box is the early one that has to 3 sections of Europe on the front and have been told that the box cannot be upgraded and a new box will cost in the order of £800.

The only way I can log onto Asta 2 is to search for Astra 1 and then switch to manual setup and adjust the dish until I have a signal.

Has anyone had any luck in finding and alternative way of locking on to Astra 2.

There have been a number of threads on this recently-try this one or do a search for 'Oyster Systems. on here and it will bring a number of them up

Mike

http://www.ten-haaft.com/downloads/GB_update.php

regards

Guest peter

I've got a 2002 model vision and have upgraded the firmware by downloading it to a laptop and using a serial connection to the box. If you dont have a cable you can get a usb to serial cable on e.bay for a couple of quid.

Link to the upgrade here.

http://www.ten-haaft.com/d/receiverupdate.html

You also need this software from oyster. http://www.ten-haaft.com/download/Firmware_BR2003_OYSTER.zip

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply, I do not quite understand your suggestion regarding my problems, I am using a Zehder free to air receiver, I have tried to look at the links that you suggested from Ten Haaft but the first one is in German and look as if it refers to an Oyster receiver, the 2nd link seams to have been discontinued and cannot be opened, if you have any other suggestions I would be most grateful.

Hi Andy,

I am aware of R Jacksons re satellite solutions, but am not sure as Oyster do not recommend trying to upgrade the micro chip in my control box as mine is the 103 chip, Robert says that they can somehow link Astra1 and Astra 2 for about £300, has anyone had this done?

We encountered same problem and found Jackson no help at all (we live only a few miles away, so took van only to be told our system was too old to upgrade software and needed new one). Another supplier in the midlands was more helpful and suggested the following:

Let system search on automatic on Astra 2. When it starts "dancing" back and fore between old and new settings go onto manual and stop at left end of motion; then use arrow keys to lock on. We found this did work but defeated object of having an automatic system. So when we changed van 2 weeks ago we left Oyster on old van and had new dome system fitted to new one. This works well and should also avoid problem of having to take dish down in high winds.

Guest peter
The oyster box is what controls the dish positioning, so using another box is only possible if you first find the satellite with the oyster box then switch to the zender. Well that's how mine works anyway.

peter - 2012-04-02 8:22 PM

The oyster box is what controls the dish positioning, so using another box is only possible if you first find the satellite with the oyster box then switch to the zender. Well that's how mine works anyway.

Correct! The Oyster control box positions the dish, so why, in your earlier post, did you provide a link for Oyster receivers?

Updating a receivers firmware won't make the Oyster control box lock onto Astra 2.

I also have to set the control box to find Astra 1, and then, using the manual facility, move the dish to Astra 2.

I am disgusted that Oyster no longer support the earlier Vision model, and certainly won't be purchasing the later version control box! What guarantee is there, that they will continue to support this, in the future, when transponder changes make upgrades necessary.

Guest peter
Auditor - 2012-04-02 9:50 PM

peter - 2012-04-02 8:22 PM

Correct! The Oyster control box positions the dish, so why, in your earlier post, did you provide a link for Oyster receivers?

Well.......Because the o/p did not say that they were using a zender box, so I think it was safe to assume they were using the one that came with the dish and controls it. Is that o/k?.

By the way I use the oyster box and have no difficulty in locking on to any satellite within sight of the dish.

Also I was trying to be of assistance to the o/p, not enter into an argument with you. If you can't assist the o/p, don't bother replying.

As of now I'll not offer any more assistance in this matter.

Oyster Vision systems did NOT all come complete with an Oyster receiver.

Ours originally came with a Pace receiver, which I changed to a multi satellite receiver, because I am a satellite enthusiast, and use the Oyster manual facility to locate many satellites not programmed into the Oyster Vision control box.

I will be looking at other manufactures automatic satellite products, but, in my own case, not dome type, so that I can return to being able to find the popular satellites at the touch of a button.

Oyster promised that our system would do this, when we first had it installed. They also claimed that future upgrades would be made available, when required.

My advice would be NOT to buy an Oyster system, they don't care about their customers. What a waste of money ours has been.

Auditor - 2012-04-03 8:12 AM

My advice would be NOT to buy an Oyster system, they don't care about their customers. What a waste of money ours has been.

Based on the experience of your self only.

I have found Tenn Haft very helpful when I have contacted them. I have always contacted the company direct in Germany and always received a quick and helpful response.

Why do some posters on this forum have to be so obnoxious? People ask questions, some people try to help and then some clown has to come in with their own opinion and start an argument.

I have an Oyster system which I am more than happy with and when I did have a problem my supplier fixed it over the phone for me, instantly. I don't think it was a waste of money and I certainly wouldn't advise anybody not to buy one

Mike

I apologise that I have upset people, but I think that you Oyster owners with the later version,have missed my point. Maybe I didn't explain it too clearly.

Those of us that have the earlier Vision version, have, in effect, been more or less dumped by Oyster, in that their only assistance is to try to sell us a control box for the later version at a cost of between £700 - £800 pounds.

Although they could provide updates, for the earlier Oyster Vision, they have chosen NOT to do this.

Surely you can understand my frustrations. Instead of an automatic system, I now have a very expensive manual system, where Astra 2 is concerned. Do you really think that we have been treated fairly?

I hope that Teh Haft continue to support the later versions, for your sake, but if our experience is anything to go by, don't hold your breath.

Guest peter
Auditor - 2012-04-05 6:35 PM

I apologise that I have upset people, but I think that you Oyster owners with the later version,have missed my point. Maybe I didn't explain it too clearly.

Those of us that have the earlier Vision version, have, in effect, been more or less dumped by Oyster, in that their only assistance is to try to sell us a control box for the later version at a cost of between £700 - £800 pounds.

Although they could provide updates, for the earlier Oyster Vision, they have chosen NOT to do this.

Surely you can understand my frustrations. Instead of an automatic system, I now have a very expensive manual system, where Astra 2 is concerned. Do you really think that we have been treated fairly?

I hope that Teh Haft continue to support the later versions, for your sake, but if our experience is anything to go by, don't hold your breath.

How old is your system?.

Our Oyster Vision 1 ,was fitted in september 2005, before we colleted of our new motorhome.

I'm not worried about it, just annoyed by the feeling that we have been ripped off. Like the original poster, we now have to manually set up our Oyster, and it was sold to us as a fully automatic system.

As with many of you, I will spend whatever is necessary, on this wonderful hobby of ours, but my thoughts are to replace our Oyster with an automatic dish system from another manufacturer, who will continue to support their product for more than 6 years.

I am also a bit of a satellite enthusiast, and won't have a dome system, because of the restrictions on reception of many satellites, other than just Astra 2. Even the best dome systems only have access to a few satellites.

Archived