Build quality of Auto-Sleepers

mel wood

Can anyone with an Auto-Sleepers van from 2009 to present please let me know what they think of the build quality?

I am aware that AS used to have a very good reputation for high quality but from my own experience and through speaking to owners and looking at vehicles from 2005 to 2009 I am aware that there were some major defects in construction of, for instance, Nuevos and internal fittings on various vehicles including van conversions during that period were not always well fitted or well "screwed together".

Has there been any improvement?

Thank you.

My own A/S had quite a few faults including a leak through a badly fitted marker light. There was also a VOSA re-call for a potential fire hazard on the Ford part of the motorhome. I only found out by accident about the Ford recall when I rang my ford dealer on another matter.

When I asked the supplying dealer about the VOSA recall, I was met with well we do not check for any outstanding problems with the base vehicle.

In fairness to the current owners of A/S these problems were when the Company A/S was controlled by a European organisation. I believe that A/S ( now under UK ownership) have now or soon will have got back to the quality that earned them their enviable reputation that they strived for over the past 50 years.

The faults were all cured by a visit to the A/S factory and to the most important question -" Would I buy another Autosleeper" and the answer is " Yes without question" .

Our 1st motorhome was a new 2006/7 Compass Suntor 115  Peugeot powered which was for the money quite adequate as an entry level into motorhome ownership and of reasonable quality of build for the money. Our 2nd motorhome was a 2008 Swift built Ace Airstream 680 FB and the build and quality of materials used was poor , Fiat powered and because of problems with Fiat after care I would not own another Fiat . Our current motorhome is a 2010 Autosleeper Nuevo II EK Peugeot Powered  and I feel the build and quality of finish far outshines any other make we have owned , yes we have had some minor problems  , but the after sails service given by both Autosleeper and Marquis is outstanding. Would I buy another Autosleeper ? Yes without doubt, as with a lot of things you only get what you pay for .

My 'older brothers' first Motorhome is an Autosleeper Duetto, bought new from Marquis (on my advice), It was one of the 'last' Autosleepers built onto a Ford chassis. I can only say that he and his Disabled wife are, and have been Delighted with it. The quality is excellent, and a minor defect found 18 months later, with the Fibreglass Roof was dealt with quickly and without a 'Quibble' by Autosleepers (refreshingly these days,) Don't know about van's produced in the last couple of years, but their 'Duetto' has made them very happy. Shame it is no longer made, Autosleepers now ONLY convert onto Peugeot chassis. *-) Ray

and a couple of very expensive VW conversions.

I would go along with what has been said, quality has improved under current ownership. The Sea era was a disaster for the company.

My van is the same age as Mikes and there were a large number of defects that shouldnt have been and I dont think would have got out of the factory now.

Alas if we change the van now it is unlikely that it would be another AS due to them dropping the Ford Chassis and the very poor Pugeot dealer network in the North West and I dont think the Sprinter chassis is worth the premium prices

Archived