Workmen in your home.

francisgraham

I have a small number of workmen doing a job on my barn and I really am in a bit of a quandary. Do I let them into my house to use the lavatory and have to be giving them cups of tea all the time?

It really is a bit of a pain. Surely they can bring their own tea or have a little portable stove? Why should I have them tramping in and out of my home and missing the bowl every time they have a pee, so that my cleaner has to disinfect the entire room after they've gone?

There was once a time when people like this knew their place but nowadays they seem to think that they have a right to be waited on by the very person who is paying their wages.

Do others let them into their homes and act as their personal butlers by forever preparing beverages for them? Or am I just out of touch with the modern world?

francisgraham - 2012-04-01 9:59 AM Do others let them into their homes and act as their personal butlers by forever preparing beverages for them? Or am I just out of touch with the modern world?

To be serious for a moment, I must say that I had a similar dilemma just last month, when a group of these scalliwags came to resurface my heli-pad.I left word for them to use the facilities in the lodge at the end of my drive.That did the trick as I wasn't even required to acknowledge their presence. :-|

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2012-04-01 1:36 PM
francisgraham - 2012-04-01 9:59 AM Do others let them into their homes and act as their personal butlers by forever preparing beverages for them? Or am I just out of touch with the modern world?

To be serious for a moment, I must say that I had a similar dilemma just last month, when a group of these scalliwags came to resurface my heli-pad.I left word for them to use the facilities in the lodge at the end of my drive.That did the trick as I wasn't even required to acknowledge their presence. :-|Your just bragging about your large chopper Malc.................... :D

knight of the road - 2012-04-01 5:03 PM

You would be horrified to know what can go on in your home when you have the workmen in and you are not there to keep an eye on them *-)

..........but that's only when you haven't supplied them with a cup o'tea

;-)

Bit like not knowing what happens to your food in a restaurant kitchen, when you've been nasty to the waiter.

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2012-04-01 5:03 PM

You would be horrified to know what can go on in your home when you have the workmen in and you are not there to keep an eye on them *-)

As someone who has spent the last 20+ years as a "Workman in your home" ;-)

I've seen a few things ;-)............apart from the usual cock ups and accidents *-)

I was frequently seen as a unpaid babysitter, on one occasion the mother dumped her toddler in the lounge with me whilst she went of to the shops *-)..............I turned round to find the toddler had got hold of one of my chisels and was sucking on the sharp end 8-)

On another job I was left the key to hang some curtains in the master bedroom of a lady director of a house building firm......Her bedside table not only had a copy of "The Joy of Sex"......but a couple of items that needed batteries 8-)

As a plumber by trade I have worked in thousands of private and council houses, when tracking down pipes no room in the house is sacred, lifting carpets and floor boards is all part of the job.

And some of the things that have been secreted away under the boards, attics and cellars would shock you.

If you have a tradesman working in your house be very wary if he has an apprentice with him, coz when that apprentice gets bored he will start mooching and rooting through your drawers and cupboards and woe betide ladies if he comes across your knicker drawers.

Over the years we have had a several extensions and alterations to our home.

We have found to our cost not to be over familiar, they will take advantage, not because they are bad people, it's human nature we all do it. I go to my mother in laws and she waits on me hand and foot, I don;t mean her to but I don't stop her, *-)

Anyway from getting the quote we now always stipulate that they provide their own facility's including a loo.

In fact the last job they started to make us a cuppa with a slice of cake bought from the village shop.

To our knowledge this as never caused an offence, in fact we always use the same builder now.

The important thing is set you stall out from day one, it's like training a dog, you can't say "just this once".

Roy

When we had an extension built one of the quotes stated that the builders van was equiped with tea making facilities and a porta-loo. That was the company we went with and they did a superb job. Not just in the building work but keeping the intrusion to a minimum.

I agree that you should lay down your requirements from the start.

After I got made redundant,for a couple of years I worked for/with a chap fitting fireplaces,woodburning stove,chimney linnings etc...and it always amazed me how "unprepared" for the work,some of the customers were..

Bearing in mind that more that often than not we'd be doing some fairly major works in their lounge,it was usual to find the customer would've made little or no attempt to clear their room..with rooms still being filled with furniture,with pictures on the wall(the wall you were knocking out :-S)and with all the ornamnets STILL on the mantelpiece etc?...

...there was even one house,where the fire' we were replacing was still lit!?... *-)

pepe63 - 2012-04-02 10:17 AM

After I got made redundant,for a couple of years I worked for/with a chap fitting fireplaces,woodburning stove,chimney linnings etc...and it always amazed me how "unprepared" for the work,some of the customers were..

Bearing in mind that more that often than not we'd be doing some fairly major works in their lounge,it was usual to find the customer would've made little or no attempt to clear their room..with rooms still being filled with furniture,with pictures on the wall(the wall you were knocking out :-S)and with all the ornamnets STILL on the mantelpiece etc?...

...there was even one house,where the fire' we were replacing was still lit!?... *-)

They were probably waiting for ' the government ' to tell them what to do.

:-(

Archived