Collapsible Bowl

Dr Dave

We have just purchased a collapsible washing up bowl. After ages looking for a bowl to either fit the sink or stow somewhere out of the way without any success, we stumbled upon this fantastic bit of kit which is not only a bowl but a useful tray as well and as a bonus i have fitted a couple of runners under the cutlery drawer and there it stays out of the way till we need it. It is the same as this one.
However we got ours from TKMaxx for £7.99

Nice find Dave, I've put a picture of it below for anyone who's interested.

I had a heck of a problem to find a bowl to fit our sink, the one I already had was too tall, and the one I bought as 'hopefully' the right size, is just 5mm too tall to leave in it ... however I did find a 'bowl' (see second picture below) when I was at Ikea when we went to the Manchester motorhome show in February - it's really a Trofast storage box meant to go into some storage racks - mine cost me 50p and is white, it fits in the sink nicely, with a bit of room round it to poor away the waste/dirty fluids (tea etc) and I can close the sink cover with it in place, it is large enough for me to be able to wash a large plate and as it's smaller than a normal bowl it means I need less water.

bowl.jpg.ebfb9f65776f862f640d871a414dbd84.jpg

trofast-storage-box__55847_PE161147_S4.jpg.3f919c41e2641e81bf5ac71072bbc45f.jpg

Mel B - 2012-04-01 8:58 PM

I had a heck of a problem to find a bowl to fit our sink, the one I already had was too tall, and the one I bought as 'hopefully' the right size, is just 5mm too tall to leave in it ... .

One of the first things I did on getting van was remove the hinged glass sink cover, we can now use an 'old' bowl that we previously used in T25 and before that at home. Have we even once thought "wish we had a sink cover"? no.

You must all have large sinks in your van!! I have a round sink, with a loose cover which can be used as a work top (Plastic, like a chopping board) I keep two bowls in it, a large one size of sink and a little one inside that , for small jobs. Do the collapsible come in round size?

I admit it, I'm a bloke so I'm stupid..................why on Earth do you people not just use the sink itself to do your washing up?

Prepare dinner, with wine.

Eat dinner, with wine.

Put dirty dishes in sink. Add water and washing liquid. Wash items. Put items on drainer to dry. Pull out sink plug.

Drink wine.

Google Wacky Practicals for the full range of who I think is the original supplier of these silicone items. We have the bowl and bucket and have been very satisfied. The fact that you can use them at varying heights is very useful when for instance emptying low slung waste tanks. Friends have the kettle. She says there is a slight taste of silicone but he says she is imagining it!!

Guest Tracker
BGD - 2012-04-01 11:38 PM

I admit it, I'm a bloke so I'm stupid..................why on Earth do you people not just use the sink itself to do your washing up?

Prepare dinner, with wine. Eat dinner, with wine. Put dirty dishes in sink.

Add water and washing liquid. Wash items. Put items on drainer to dry. Pull out sink plug.

Drink wine.

You don't even need to wash items Bruce - just drive a few miles and let the roads create their own cleansing action.

We always use a bowl because it uses less water and the water can be slung out to water the grass thus saving waste tank capacity too!

Our non folding bowl sits in the sink all the time - and has done on many vans over many years - and I really can't see any advantage in having to remove, dry and store a folding bowl?

We too leave the loose fitting bowl covers/chopping boards at home because in the event of a crash or even very heavy braking they become very effective injury and damage making projectiles!

Oh well - each to his own I guess!

I noticed Aldi are selling them this thurs; I think but from the picture on the broch; they look to have handles :-S we use a static plastic bowl as well, but we bought a big trug style bucket from Germany a couple of years ago and I find that very usefull to take washing up over to the toilet block washup place on site, (well O.H. does (lol) ) It is also handy for washing smalls etc; as it has higher walls than a wash up bowl and I can give things a good poss. ;-)

colin - 2012-04-01 9:20 PM

Mel B - 2012-04-01 8:58 PM

I had a heck of a problem to find a bowl to fit our sink, the one I already had was too tall, and the one I bought as 'hopefully' the right size, is just 5mm too tall to leave in it ... .

One of the first things I did on getting van was remove the hinged glass sink cover, we can now use an 'old' bowl that we previously used in T25 and before that at home. Have we even once thought "wish we had a sink cover"? no.

Eat dinner, with wine.

Put dirty dishes in sink. Add water and washing liquid. Wash items. Put items on drainer to dry. Pull out sink plug.

Drink wine.

Some of us haven't got a drainer and/or only have very limited workspace (or none at all!) so the sink cover is a vital requirement so having a WU bowl means we have a means of using a 'sink' of some sort when we can't access the kitchen sink itself (our tap is outside the sink fortunately). A WU bowl also stops the sink getting scratched/marked, and if you have waste water (tea dregs) you can poor them down the side of the bowl and not into your washing up water (yuk!).

PJay - 2012-04-01 11:30 PM

You must all have large sinks in your van!! I have a round sink, with a loose cover which can be used as a work top (Plastic, like a chopping board) I keep two bowls in it, a large one size of sink and a little one inside that , for small jobs. Do the collapsible come in round size?

I've had a good shuftie and can't find a round silicone washing up bowl, but there's a myriad of products out there ... I've seen the future ... and it's silcone!!!!! :D

http://www.armadasilicone.com/

bobalobs - 2012-04-02 8:42 AM

Friends have the kettle. She says there is a slight taste of silicone but he says she is imagining it!!

I can believe that she can taste the silicone to some extent, as even good quality 'plastic' type crockery can give off a taste, which is why we always use proper cups in our motorhome. If he doesn't believe her, tell him to 'suck' on the kettle and see if he can taste it!!! :D

I did see one of the kettles 'in the flesh' and whilst being very cleaver and compact, I don't think I'd like to poor boiling hot water out of it (which sort of defeats the object! *-) ).

The thing to be careful of when buying silicone items is the quailty of the silicone itself - we have 2 different types of the egg poaching 'pod' type things, one type is thicker than the other so I expect these will last longer, but they were more expensive. Similarly food bowl scrapers come in different qualities quality, some are thin and overly flexible; cake/baking 'tins' in my view don't cook as well as proper metal ones ... certainly not for things like yorkshire puddings.

So you do tend to get pretty much what you pay for with silicone - the cheaper it is, the less durable it is likely to be. I've seen collapsible collanders and food bowls and I don't think some of them would last very long at all simply from the action of folding and unfolding them all the time.

I would only go for silicone items if you are sure they are going to last and will definitely do the job you want them to much better than a 'standard' item ... not just because they 'look good' or are 'novel'.

mel. we have a pvc with one of the smallest galleys cant post photo to show how bowl works as on kindle but blieve me sink cover is no vital component for us. and weve cooked for up to four. but then were all diferent.

Guest pelmetman

A friend of ours bought one of those silicone collapsible collinders .

Trouble was if you put it down on the worktop with the veg in it - it collapsed and all the veg fell out :-S

SUE

Eat dinner, with wine.

Drink wine.

I totally agree, I too cant see the point in a bowl just bung em in the sink that is what it is for.

ips - 2012-04-04 12:47 PM
BGD - 2012-04-01 11:38 PM I admit it, I'm a bloke so I'm stupid..................why on Earth do you people not just use the sink itself to do your washing up? Prepare dinner, with wine. Eat dinner, with wine. Put dirty dishes in sink. Add water and washing liquid. Wash items. Put items on drainer to dry. Pull out sink plug. Drink wine.
I totally agree, I too cant see the point in a bowl just bung em in the sink that is what it is for.

In nice weather we wash the pots outside and when done chuck the washing up water in the hedge bottom. The collapsable bowl is also a great tray. And sometimes we have to wash some clothes out so a bowl is a must. I am a bloke and do understand it simples :-)

pelmetman - 2012-04-04 9:27 AM

A friend of ours bought one of those silicone collapsible collinders .

Trouble was if you put it down on the worktop with the veg in it - it collapsed and all the veg fell out :-S

SUE

I assume this comes down to the quality of the silocone used for the collander ... ours remains rigid when 'open' and I can sit it on a worktop without it collapsing. :-D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi MelB

Do you know the measurements of the IKEA bowl? I too am having difficulties getting a bowl(s) I have two sinks in my Hymer B694. I have trawled everywhere but everyone of them has been to big. I too need my sink covers hence the bowl needing to fit underneath them. I can't abide the sound of crockery scraping/scratching in the sink hence the need for a bowl

Regards Patricia

Archived