High Bike racks

Caroline

Our bike rack is rather high on the back of our van, it is not really possible to lower it.

has anyone rigged up a pulley system or such like to raise the bike in to position.

Our friend is a sole camper and finds it difficult to lift the bike, position and hold in place whist securing, thought a pulley system might help!!

•  my bike rack on the Hymer is very high but has a cranking handle built in to raise and lower it, it also comes motorised 12 volt so can be lowered  at the press of a button, it holds three bikes.It is on the Fiamma web site at £430 .
  • Fiamma Carry Bike Lift 77

was really looking to adapt what we have, not really invest in a new one.

the thought was inspired by looking at the ceiling hoists that either Lidl or Aldi have at the moment, could it be adapted on to arms on the bike rack....

Just wondered if anyone had invented something for them selves..

We find that a strong plastic stool of the type that you would use to enter the van side door if you didn't have an omnistep , makes it much easier to reach the cycle rack. To store it inside the van we turn it upside down and store things inside it. :-D

kelly58 - 2012-04-02 12:21 PM

To be really effective you would have to fix the pulleys to two Sky Hooks , but they are a devil to obtain. When I worked in our local Ironmongers Sky Hooks and Wire Netting Seed along with Glass Hammers were hard to find.

Many years ago when I was an apprentice carpenter,if we were repairing sliding sash windows I would be sent to the local builders merchants for some long weights.They always said they had some and would go off to find them .Much later someone would say they could not find any so they must be sold out.

Regards David

(sorry this is no real help to you)

JudgeMental - 2012-04-02 2:32 PMI may have a skirting ladder somewhere...anyone remember them? :-D
I tripped  over one of those when I went to the Steam Locker for a bucket of steam, that was after going to the stores for some Elbow grease.

Archived