Self Fit Cat 1 Alarms

enodreven

Sorry, don't know of any, but I doubt if any would unless you were a qualified fitter, when we had ours fitted they wanted to see proof from the registered installer that it had been done by him and was indeed what we were saying it was, the details of the alarm itself were also registered with the manufacturer of the alarm (Toad). It may be that an insurer may agree to give you a discount if the system was checked by a qualified fitter and a 'certificate' of some sort was issued by them but to be honest I doubt if any fitter would be willing to do this as it means that they are guaranteeing the work had been done correctly, which would take quite a bit of checking to see where all the wiring etc went and it could prove to be a legal nightmare if your van got nicked! You don't have to pay massive amounts for a Cat I alarm to be fitted, it can be done from as little as £400, depending on what your vehicle is and what bits and bobs you want with it. The other thing to consider is do you need a Cat I alarm? A lot of motorhome insurers don't insist on one under a certain value (our insurer's limit was below £30,000), as our van cost over this we had to have a Cat I alarm fitted. If your van is worth more than the insurers' limits then it's probably a good policy to get it fitted professionally - it's not worth arguing the toss over a few hundred quid if your £30,000+ van gets nicked!

Yes and yes. When choosing an alarm make sure you get one that's suitable for your needs, we have dogs so had to make sure that it was easy to turn off the internal sensors when we left the dogs in the van or if we wanted the doors to be alarmed but not the internal bits at night. You can't do this with all Cat I alarms, the one from the dealer, who was willing to give us a very good discount to have it fitted, unfortunately wasn't designed to have the internal sensors turned off without a lot of messing about and 'cheating' so it was a no go. It'd be a good idea to do a search on alarms on the Forum to find some other bits and pieces of info which you may find useful.

Archived