Ducato split charging

paulr2012

Hi

Has anyone any experience with a new Ducato (2006 +) and split charging.

I have a 2009 Ducato which I have conveted into a motorhome. I have used a cbe PC200 kit as my main electrical controller with the provided multi stage charger and due to the complicated nature of the Ducato electrics have not used the Altenator to switch the charging but have used a Volton voltage sensing relay.

Has anyone else used this sort of kit and can they share how they wired it up. The first year or so I have had no problems but recently Ive been having problems with the leisure battery not charging with the engine running as well as the Volton relay melting :'( .

Any help would be appriciated.

Hi

Yes I know of Wildax I purchased my kit from them. I was just wondering if anyone else had wired up this type of kit or had experience in wiring up a similar kit (PC200) but using the ignition or altenator method, which is difficult on a new ducato.

Like where do you connect too? Without the Ducato having a fit !!!! :-S :-S :-S

Guest Peter James

Hi and Welcome Paul

If you find the answer please post it on here to let us know :$

I had the same problem 3 years ago doing mine. Apparently there is an extra cost option of a 'convertors socket' fitted into the bottom of the drivers side door pillar, which the professional convertors use. This contains several connectors, including the D+ output from the alternator that you would use to switch a split charge relay. But this convertors socket is not fitted on the standard van.

The X2/50 Ducato has a 160 amp alternator so you need something substantial to carry the current, and prefererably something very substantial to minimise voltage drop so your lleisure battery can charge as fast as your main battery.

I used a Nagares 100 amp (180 amp surge) voltage sensing relay, connected through 25 mm sq cable, which works very well. http://www.rawcomponents.co.uk/voltage-sensing-relays/100-amp-12v-relay.html

But a normal relay wired through the D+ output on the alternator would be cheaper, and possibly better.

Archived