Internet signal booster

Mickydripin

Hi I am considering buying an internet signal Booster for my laptop when I am in France.

I have looked on the net and there are so many and some of the comments on them vary so much I need someone`s help.

Has anyone tried them and can you please tell me what you think of them which are the best.

Is the dearest the best or have you found a cheep one that fit`s the bill or are they all just the samo.

Buy one that comes with intructions that make sence 8-)

I bought a zystel that dont look as if its spel right 8-) You will recognise the make it has a 240 page pfd but read it again and again and it simply dosnt make sence nor can i get to the menue.At first i could connect via wi-fi to my epson printer which lives in a cupboard i made a print :-D Next time i had to put in the wep code which i couldnt choose nor change now i have to use a USB cable

I bought the zysel as its anttena system is very good :-S but i cannot set it to accsses point 8-)

Last year i used an old Dlink which did the job :-D But wasnt 12v i think it was 5v anyway an accsses point which runs off 12v is what i would choose :-D As well as changable anntenas so i could use one outside when i find one

The zytel dose all that its only negative point being i have no idea how to connect with it 8-)

So hear i am in mac donalds again getting fat 8-) :'(

Google Motorhome facts long range wifi aerials there is a massive thread on there. Contact Richard at a company called Faculty x, he is a member on there. They supply a superb antenna for £40. Can't do a link as I'm. On my phone at moment.

I got my current repeat it antenna from them and it is superb. Works up to 4 miles line if sight but typically they will connect to campsite or a domestic open wifi router in someones house up to a mile away.

Mickydripin - 2012-04-04 1:26 PM

Hi I am considering buying an internet signal Booster for my laptop when I am in France.

I have looked on the net and there are so many and some of the comments on them vary so much I need someone`s help.

Has anyone tried them and can you please tell me what you think of them which are the best.

Is the dearest the best or have you found a cheep one that fit`s the bill or are they all just the samo.

This was on a previous link under USB wi fi, and the product discussed is below

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/11802/Dynamode-Wireless-N-Dongle-Antenna/%3C/div%3E

Another Faculty-X vote here!

It won't help you much (none of them will) unless you can find an unsecured network but it will give you rather more to choose from ;-)

The last 2 weeks in France we managed about 4 successful connections, on other trips we've managed none other than McDonalds etc.

This is the one I mentioned earlier

http://www.faculty-x.net/NET-WL-usb-cpe2512bgn

Seems to be the current weapon of choice.

INSSIDER software will also help you tune it in more efficiently. http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

The difference in geting online or not can be a few degrees twist of the antenna and this software although a bit geeky will help you find the best signal and it refreshes a lot faster than the standard windows wireless utility.

The Faculty X antenna also comes with software that allows you to down tune the Mbps (speed) of the wifi connection to greatly increase the range. Again loads of info on the thread I mentioned earlier mainly near the end.

If your a BT broadband customer or have a family or close friend who is you can use your BT login to access 3 million hotspots around the UK. Im on one now. Sat in the van in a field with the antenna pointing at a house half a mile away. Its high up on the back of the ladder with clear access across the frield.

In France they have SFR which is similar but you will need to find a freindly local or resident to give you a password or you can pay I think on a hourly or weekly basis.

Hi everyone thanks for your help.

I looked at the posts and decided to buy the morgan one for under £10.

I noticed the faculty one and thought that I was buying that but but my finger slipped (bloody arthur ri tus) never mind I will try this and let you know if it is any good.

Regards: Mike

Archived