Help can i survive being a campingcarist for 6 months or longer?

plumbersvan

:'( Has anyone spent 6 months or more in a camping car?Ive been driving slowly around France since mid January,ive visited everyone i intened to and said good bye untill perhaps next year *-)

I got an sms and phone call from my family who want my home for their use as i live "under the bells of big ben" and said how awful the olyipics will be :'( Not everyone thinks so and they offered to pay my fuel costs if i dont come back 8-) Nice to know im unwanted :'(

Since the event starts in four monts time and goes on and on for heavan only knows how long it seem i would have to plan to continue campingcaring for another SIX months 8-) 8-)

Im NOT going to spain nor northen Portugal for summer *-) 8-) Normaly i would be home about now but slowed down during the freezing winter,even then i would have been home in about another week had i not been shopping and have to go back this friday to collect somthing :'(

What could i do for all that time?Will i hate the tiny cramped van by then will the heat drive me mad??Should i go north south east i cant go west as im almost on the Atlantic coast :-D

We do have a place hear in France but i try to avoid it as once there its never ending gardning cooking and cleaning 8-) as the never ending visiters arrive :'(

Has anyone ever spent half a year in a van driveing about a crowded hot Europe :'(

Guest pelmetman

We'll do a swap Fiona :D..................I'd hate to think of you forcing yourself to endure 6 months of campingcarism :-)

What are you like at making pelmets ;-).........and there's chip alley in Skeggy so you won't starve (lol)

malc d - 2012-04-04 4:32 PM

You should be able to rent out your place in London for the Olympics, for a couple of weeks, and buy yourself a new van with the proceeds.

;-)

I reckon the family have already thought of that and are hoping to make a nice big fat profit why the old fellows away :-D

What you are worrying about is what most people dream about doing. We spent five months from june to November last year touring Germany, switzerland, Italy and France with the second half being mainly in southern France but inland.

It broke my heart coming home to England and I've not been the same since. Can't wait to get back there. I would say France is the best place to be mid summer as it's usually just a nice temperature and easy to reach cooler places I it gets too hot, there are always quiet places to run to if it gets too busy and if course you can move

From free aire to free aire in the high season and thus avoid peak season campsite fees. Don't get me started on the wonderful food especially French cheese!

If you have an option why on earth would you want to come back here!?

Guest 1footinthegrave
If you can survive living in London I reckon you could survive living anywhere, cramped van or not. My idea of hell on earth would be living in any big city, my advice go south and wait for some better weather then you'll spend less time physically in the van, if it did get too hot why not head for the mountains. As for family don't you know your just a convenience to be used as and when it suits, well with my lot that's how it works. ;-)

Well I envy you having a choice between a house in France and your campingcar ;-) I would split the time between the two ! stay a few weeks in the house, as soon as the hangers on say they are coming say you have planned to go off in the Van (lol) If people dont respect your needs I certainly wouldnt pander to theirs!!

They have more or less told you to stay away from YOUR home in London so they can make a fortune ;-) then YOU go and spend it. Have fun.

France is such a large & diverse country, there must be areas still unexplored.

Alternatively why not give Northern Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Southern Germany a try, much more pleasant in the heat of high summer.

Or if you prefer lowlands - Luxembourgh, Belgium, Netherlands.

Sufficient scope for many a months tour.

BTW - best to check - does your Insurance cover for this length of single trip (?)

pelmetman - 2012-04-04 4:26 PM

We'll do a swap Fiona :D..................I'd hate to think of you forcing yourself to endure 6 months of campingcarism :-)

What are you like at making pelmets ;-).........and there's chip alley in Skeggy so you won't starve (lol)

sooo, after a couple of years.. shes called fiona!!

might have missed stuff not been off for a few days!!

im with pelmetman..swap!!!

go north as Flicka suggests...all the best on your travels

jon

Insurance is ok for the year its a bit more complicated with new EU rules but we have a solution :-D I should spend only 3 months in one contry :'( That will change to "Europe" when the Germans get more time to push changes :'(

Being based at our French home dosnt work the camping car wouldnt move again untill next winter,another factor is the French customs we have been fined once for keeping a UK reg vehical even though it wasnt me as a family member they might not be so understanding 8-) *-)

Germany seems awful its so regulated and when i drove through there to get to Demark i was shocked 8-) At the fuel prices and traffic,I didnt always feel safe at stops even though i was in a normal car

Luxembourg is boreing green feilds new houses

Belgium i love the people were wonderful the food better and sooo much to see and do :-D But that was a long time ago so im sure its changed a lot during the last 7 years *-)

As for my house it would only be my family staying there and they do that anyway :-( This time there seems to be about 11 people so far that want to stay without costs,as we live near Romford i did ask why they didnt comute to Liverpoolstreet station daily :-S That got a bad reply 8-) They dont intend to pay anyting beyond my fuel to be sure i dont come back

*-)

Now i have to see about more stops at mac doos to ask about Beligum 8-)

Well there you go then 8-) you havent seen Germany if you think its awful !! you must have been on the motorways which are mad, you should try the Moselle where driving is leisurly and Baveria is breathtaking and the Aires in both places are much better than any we have stayed at in France.

But we are giving France another chance this year were making for Annecy but Id like to bet you anything you like we will end up in either Switzeland or Germany.

Didnt understand what you meant by being fined for having G.B number plates?? our Son has a place in Fonteniers he spends nearlly all the school hols there ! if your main res; is in the U.K how can they fine you?

We left a car there all year then a second which refused to go it seems someone thought we should drive French cars 8-) One summer we had a visit from the French customs when they looked in the garage and found an old landrover they arranged an appointment to visit them.We were fined an amount based on OUR valuation of the cars

One vehicle might be ok just bad luck :'( in the last 5/6 years everyone in France has a new car or two but then the French tended to keep their cars for several years *-)

I suppose with all the old bangers on the \french roads they are trying to force some off :-( but I think its a bit of a cheek ! what you keep in your garage shouldnt have anything to do with them, but there you go the French seem to be able to set any new rule or piece of legislation that they feel in the mood to do :-S yellow coats/spare specks/first aid boxes/spare bulbs/now breatherlizer testing kit!! and Im sure Ive missed a few ;-) do you think they are trying to tell us something??

Sounds good to me, would rather be in a cramped van in france than in cold and rainy old blighty at the moment.

I must say they do sound keen to get rid of you was it summat you said :-D

Could sell all properties by a really nice van and begger off for good, thats what I allways planned to do untill a very very unamicable and costly divorce 16yrs ago which left me homeless (not literally I meen as in had to sign house over to the old witch) and pennyless. Anyway thats another story and it all came good in the end ......... sorry went off on one then (lol)

Archived