Small motorhome Bessaccar E410 or Suntor 530PL

Zydeco Joe

Just started looking at getting our first real motorhome and am a bit lost with so many model to pick from , we that is my wife and I are looking for a small van under 6 m as have only a short drive to park it on. Looked at a nice Bessacarr E410 and a Suntor 530PL, any one own and use one of these two vans?. Have seen on this forum some members dont like Swift !!! .Also like the look of many other makes like the Auto Sleeper range.

Planning on a 6 week trip into Europe like we did last year in a tent, ended up in Austria and this gave us the camping bug and would like a motorvan. Most sites we used we were outnumbered by motorhomes and like the idea of the French Aires. We did have a VW Camper way back in the late 1970's and any French site we went on we were the only motorvan, back in those days we just parked up with no problems in towns and villages all over the place but times have changed.

Any help gratefully received.

We have a 2011 Autocruise Starfire which is the same thing. We have been very pleased. It drives nicely (ours is a Peugeot but the Fiat is the same), is very comfortable and well equiped. I would prefer a cabinet to a Microwave but perhaps that is just me. We have had some minor problems but they have been quickly rectified by the dealer. Our previous 2 vans were Autosleepers (Nuevo and Eton), both less than 6m, you could say we like this size and layout. We did consider another Nuevo, liked what we saw but were astonished at the price and went for the Autocruise. No regrets.

Hi Z.Joe & welcome to the forum.

Our previous Motorhome was the Bessacarr E410 (pre-2007 Fiat base) & only changed it due to personal circumstances.

This layout has always been popular, but concentrating on UK motorhomes only

The Bessacarr E410 & Swift Sundance 530PL are basically the same model, differently badged by Swift's.

The Bessacarr being an upgrade (additional equipment, i.e. microwave & seating fabric) to the Sundance.

The Suntor is a Brownhills Dealer "special" of the Sundance & will have some extras / equipment not normally on the factory model.

Other Dealer specilas include Marquis ("Lifestyle") & Lowdhams also had one.

As you mention Autocruise have a No. of models with this layout.

Another alternative is the Elldis Autoquest 115 & again there are some dealer "specials" available.

http://www.elddis.co.uk/motorhomes/1003/autoquest_115.html

If you are looking at the pre-2007 based vehicle Elldis also produced the Compass Avantguard 115

(same situation regarding badging as Bessacarr & Swift)

Depending on your height, it's possible to have 2 x single beds or a transverse double.

Another alternative is the Autotrail Tracker, generally more expensive but good build quality.

Although the shortest new model is 6.1m.

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/index.php/tracker-rs.html

Beware of the payload restrictions as many are on the 3300kg chassis. A few have the 3500kg chassis.

The Elldis models usually have a better payload, but this is because they have small Water Tanks,

If in the Used market -

Autocruise Starfire as earlier post or it's relative the Pioneer Jolliet & again these were available as Dealer "specials"

Thanks Graham and Flicka, will have to check out the Auto Trail Tracker and Autocruise Starfire and have found some new specials from Autoquest 115. Did not know that some of the vans available were basically the same. I think we will be looking at a end kitchen model but does the end lounge have its own advantages like leaving the bed made up while not moving from a site for a day or two.

Not many motorvan dealers around our part of Staffordshire so will have to travel 30 or more miles is this much of a problem with repairs service etc.

We are not big people so that helps !!!! and we will consider vans up to about 7 or 8 years old,.I guess older ones more prone to damp but are lower cost.

(Beware of the payload restrictions as many are on the 3300kg chassis. A few have the 3500kg chassis.

The Elldis models usually have a better payload, but this is because they have small Water Tanks)

Not sure what this means in practice,does it mean the amount of "stuff we can carry-water,food etc"

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Zydeco Joe

Zydeco Joe - 2012-04-04 11:26 PM

Thanks Graham and Flicka, will have to check out the Auto Trail Tracker and Autocruise Starfire and have found some new specials from Autoquest 115. Did not know that some of the vans available were basically the same.

A) I think we will be looking at a end kitchen model but does the end lounge have its own advantages like leaving the bed made up while not moving from a site for a day or two.

B) Not many motorvan dealers around our part of Staffordshire so will have to travel 30 or more miles is this much of a problem with repairs service etc.

C) We are not big people so that helps !!!! and we will consider vans up to about 7 or 8 years old,.I guess older ones more prone to damp but are lower cost.

(Beware of the payload restrictions as many are on the 3300kg chassis. A few have the 3500kg chassis.

The Elldis models usually have a better payload, but this is because they have small Water Tanks)

D) Not sure what this means in practice,does it mean the amount of "stuff we can carry-water,food etc"

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Zydeco Joe

Hi Joe

I've taken the liberty to label the above points

So

A) Rear lounge is prefered by many, but it will generally extend the overall length of any Motorhome. Not suitable to leave the Bed made up as you will need the lounge for eating & well, lounging.

i.e current Bessacarr E410 = 5.9m Rear lounge model E460 = 6.47m

B) Obviously the nearer the dealer the better for servicing., etc.., if you can get the Van you want at the right deal, but with a 7 to 8 year old van warranty will be restricted timewise, thereafter you can switch to any convienient dealer.

C) Whatever van or Manufacturer - insist on seeing the Habitation & Mechanical Service records & a upto date Damp Check record. If Damp is present - walk away - there are other vans out there. Some will say one manufacturer is worse than others, but ANY Coachbuilt Motorhome could be affected.

D) Payload is the difference between the MIRO (Mass in Running Order )or in old money the Kerb Weight) & including allowance of 75kg for Driver, 90% Water, Gas Fuel, etc..& the MTPLM (Max Technically Permitted Laden Weight) or again in old money Gross Vehicle Weight.

Payload is what you load additional to that, including any Passengers, Clothes, Food, Chairs, etc..

Hope that helps.

Pay

Our 1st motorhome was a Compass Suntor 115 which was a good allrounder entry level model which we loved , but we made the mistake of " upgrading " to a fixed bed motorhome . Now we have an Autosleeper Nuevo II EK the same layout and size as the 115 and as with the 115 it ticks all the boxes for us. Our fixed bed motorhome was a swift build and I found the build quality a bit poor , but they may have improved  a bit with the more recent models, but I would not buy another Swift built motorhome going by past experience .

The Swift Group has often come under fire for poor build quality and less than helpful customer service. In spite of this they still sell their products in their thousands. In fairness, poor quality isn't confined exclusively to Swift and they do seem to be able to screw them together reasonably well on the odd occasion. Yer pays yer money...

As you say some don't like Swift I fall into the camp of those who would never buy a British built van having had British made caravans in the past I have no faith in British products in this market place.

The length you are looking at does restrict you considerably on choice of layouts.

You need to consider how you are going to use the van, we found life was rather different from being tuggers or tent campers, where we would go to a site and stay for a week. With the Motorhome we rarely stay anywhere more than one or two nights.

For us the first priority is a fixed bed can not do with all that messing about making up the bed.

You talk about using Aires & just parking up for the night. Things haven't changed much in France they are very Motorhome tolerant never a problem finding somewhere to park up for the night. Just don't do what a friend did, parked in the village square the night before market day, they built the market around his van and he had to stay put until 3:00pm the next day.

We use Aires a lot, if doing so don't waste money on a van with electric heaters, electric water heaters, microwaves etc. as you won't use them and are just carting around a load of unnecessary weight. In nearly 4 years of Motorhoming I can count the times I've used an electric hook up on one hand. There is the other brigade that won't stay anywhere without an EHU but they don't do Aires & wild camping.

Zydeco Joe - 2012-04-04 5:16 PM

Just started looking at getting our first real motorhome and am a bit lost with so many model to pick from , we that is my wife and I are looking for a small van under 6 m as have only a short drive to park it on. Looked at a nice Bessacarr E410 and a Suntor 530PL, any one own and use one of these two vans?. Have seen on this forum some members dont like Swift !!! .Also like the look of many other makes like the Auto Sleeper range.

Planning on a 6 week trip into Europe like we did last year in a tent, ended up in Austria and this gave us the camping bug and would like a motorvan. Most sites we used we were outnumbered by motorhomes and like the idea of the French Aires. We did have a VW Camper way back in the late 1970's and any French site we went on we were the only motorvan, back in those days we just parked up with no problems in towns and villages all over the place but times have changed.

Any help gratefully received.

Not sure if I am right or what but did you mean the 530 LP, the low profile, not the PL..if you did we had that model for 5 years, and was really pleased with it, did over 30 per gallon on the 2ltr diesel engine, so easy to park and a great kitchen for a small Van.. Do have to make the bed up but got into a routine and took 2 minutes, with all the bed clothes under the lounge seat.

Very spacious and lots of storage, only exchanged it last year for an Auto Trail, just to get the fixed bed, but as said the Suntor we loved (lol) :-) ;-)

Sorry did mean the Suntor 530LP.

So many names and numbers to try and find the right one and that's why a site like this with people who know loads more than me is great, thanks all. 30mpg sounds a bit better than some reports we have seen even if some salesmen tell us what great mileage we would get.

Lenny we did what your friend did many many years ago, parked in Bakewell on a Friday night got up Saturday morning to a market being set up, jumped out of bed and quickly moved LOL but these are the things that manke using a motorvan great fun.

We are planning on going to Salop Leisure in the next few days to look at the show that they have on and hope for a great special bargain.

We have had Swift 530 Sundance LP four years now, bought new in 2008 and it has been brilliant our second Swift after a nightmare experience with a Hymer. Both vans have been very good indeed, have to admit Swift customer service was not great six years ago but they have really got their act together and must now be the best around, they run their own website which reacts to complaints very fast.. A lot of people love living in the past and simply refuse to accept British vans have caught and sometimes past the europeons. Everyone has an opinion but mine, in this case, is based on personal experience, If you want any info pm me. One thing the 530LP before 2008 has a poor payload, it was uprated early 2008 so beware this. We now carry a 100kg scooter on the back with no weight problems.

Zydeco Joe - 2012-04-05 2:46 PM

Lenny we did what your friend did many many years ago, parked in Bakewell on a Friday night got up Saturday morning to a market being set up, jumped out of bed and quickly moved LOL but these are the things that manke using a motorvan great fun.

Just reminded me of a Stellplatz in Germany a couple of years ago, nearby there was a building with a sign "Midnight Disco" everything was nice and peaceful throughout the evening - you've guessed bang on midnight the disco started. So at a few minutes past twelve I lept into the drivers seat in the buff (not a pretty site) and drove a few hundred yards to the sports centre for a peaceful night. Went back to service the van in the morning all the other vans were up the far end of the parking area with their owners looking bleary eyed. (lol)

Archived