I have been fined for towing a car

w1ntersun

I am on my way home from Conil de la frontera. Two days ago I was stopped by the traffico just south of Salamance heading northbound. The very nice policeman who spoke perfect english told me it was illegal to tow a car in Spain. He said he did not want to fine us but I was reported by a speed trap camera who radioed ahead. The fine was 40euro discounted from 80euro for paying on the spot. He told me we could stay hooked up and to show the official ticket ( I have one now ) to avoid another fine as we were on our way home.

Sounds like a scam 8-) IF a policeperson find you for doing something against their law then to commit the same act again is worse and should result in a larger fine and or jail confiscation'''

If the spanish police move you on at night as ive often heard they do then alcohol test you and you fail you can no longer drive,if you do you are stopped again showing a recept for a fine wont help

:-(

spain sounds a dreadful place

plumbersvan - 2012-04-06 1:16 PM

I am on my way home from Conil de la frontera. Two days ago I was stopped by the traffico just south of Salamance heading northbound. The very nice policeman who spoke perfect english told me it was illegal to tow a car in Spain. He said he did not want to fine us but I was reported by a speed trap camera who radioed ahead. The fine was 40euro discounted from 80euro for paying on the spot. He told me we could stay hooked up and to show the official ticket ( I have one now ) to avoid another fine as we were on our way home.

Sounds like a scam 8-) IF a policeperson find you for doing something against their law then to commit the same act again is worse and should result in a larger fine and or jail confiscation'''

If the spanish police move you on at night as ive often heard they do then alcohol test you and you fail you can no longer drive,if you do you are stopped again showing a recept for a fine wont help

:-(

spain sounds a dreadful place

Stay away love, you'd not like it.

For what it's worth, during the dozens of nights we've camped informally in Spain we've been approached by law enforcement officers of the civil and local variety on four occasions. On each occasion they were perfectly reasonable and never in any way threatening, nor did they act in excess of their authority. On the contrary, on the occasions that they didn't want us to be where we had chosen to be, they were quite happy to point us to an alternative wildcamp spot. I guess, like with most organisations, there will be good and bad amongst them, but at the end of the day they are only doing their job and clearly using judgement in doing so. 

I see nothing sinister - but a lot of ignorance.

Hi,

I am now safely home and would just like to add a few more comments

I knew before hand about the possibility of being stopped but decided to continue until I was fined as I had invested in the a-frame 5 years ago and if not stopped I would have had another fine free year and would have gone with it next year.

For those doubters I have the official receipt and fine from the police so they have not pocketed it. It is strange that they let me continue still attached but they did the same with a friend of mine Ray who posted his stoppage on here also and he was travelling south.

As I now have a fine I will follow it up to confirm that the Spanish are within thei rights to stop me. I will write to my local MP and MEP for clarification,

I am not looking for the return of the money and the Spanish police were very polite and only doing there job but it may help everyone on here to stop speculating on the rights and wrongs

Richard

w1ntersun - 2012-04-07 11:08 AM

Hi,

As I now have a fine I will follow it up to confirm that the Spanish are within thei rights to stop me. I will write to my local MP and MEP for clarification,

Richard

Hi Richard.

Welcome home.

I'm just wondering why you would want to write to your local MP ( or MEP ).

What would they know about Spanish law ?

If you want Spanish laws explained I would suggest that it might be better to contact the Spanish Tourist office in the U.K.

:-|

1footinthegrave - 2012-04-05 7:16 PM

I guess it does depend on your usage, but as said my friend without exception heads for a site or sites, parks the van up, then goes of in his smart car. Sorry but that does seem a little odd to me

I guess in light of Spanish laws he'll have to ditch his A frame now though.

Perhaps he enjoys tootling around in his Smart car rather than a 'large' towing car? These cards are fun and more enjoyable to drive than a standard sized car so I can understand why he would want to use it. Towing with his motorhome will be much easier and less stressful than a large car/large caravan combination so perhaps that is also part of the reason.

As with everything else, it is up to him to choose what he wants to do and why - perhaps asking him why would be a good start to find out exactly whey he does it. He may have a reason that none of us are aware of ...

As Richard's query will relate to the legality of the Spanish police fining him for A-frame towing in Spain, approaching his MEP would be the logical approach to take as the issue revolves round the application of EU-state/national laws.

I can't see writing to a local MP being productive (unless he/she is a rabid Euro Sceptic perhaps!), nor can I see the Spanish Tourist office in the UK being much help. But it does no harm to try.

http://www.grahamwatsonmep.org.uk/news/98-watson-in-a-frame-tow-warning-to-motorists

http://www.justanswer.com/european-law/6d054-legal-motorhome-tow-car-spain-portugal.html

Derek Uzzell - 2012-04-07 4:44 PM

I can't see writing to a local MP being productive (unless he/she is a rabid Euro Sceptic perhaps!), nor can I see the Spanish Tourist office in the UK being much help. But it does no harm to try.

l

Although the Spanish Tourist office in the UK may not be able to give a definitive answer, they should be in a position to advise Richard about whom he should contact for accurate information.

Archived