Bessacarr E465 and other things

enrico

Hi one and all My wife has decided(strange that as all you Motorhomers are the same as me)that we are going for the Bessacarr E465 model as it meets all the requirements(we think) we are looking for.Having never bought a motorhome before could anyone tell me what sort of discounts are available as we are buying new with no part exchange and is it a better deal to buy from a dealership or one of the big shows as I have heard a rumour that the manufacturers offer more bonuses at these shows? I would like to think that all of you possess great fountains of knowledge compared to a 'newy' like me and I would bow to your superior knowledge. Also,why would I need levelling blocks if I am having corner steadies and if its not too rude where do they go to level the motorhome.(I did say I was new to this game so I would be most grateful for all the help and advise you can offer me). Finally for now I don`t seem to be able to log onto any of the ferry companies who can quote me on a vehicle that is 6.16 metres long,2.22 metres wide and 3.0 metres in height.All the ones I`ve found upto now only offer a quote upto 2.5 metres in height.I`m sure you know how I can do this or even the best and cheapest company to go to. I look forward to all your words of wisdom and can assure you it will be put to good use.Thanks very much.

Hi Enrico, Have a look at the Euro mobile post on this forum, it will give you plenty of ideas, it will also save duplicating the info. You asked :- Also,why would I need leveling blocks if I am having corner steadies and if its not too rude where do they go to level the motorhome.(I did say I was new to this game so I would be most grateful for all the help and advise you can offer me). The steadies are as they say to steady the van once you have it level. If you try and level the van on the steadies you will most likely bend them, as the steadies are usually on the rear they would be no good for raising the from end. Most people have at least two leveling blocks which you use to raise the front or rear wheels. You can also use the blocks to raise both wheels on one side of the vehicle if need be. Also it's advisable to have some chocks to put behind the wheels to stop any movement on the block. I always chock the wheels and leave the handbrake of when using the blocks If your vehicle has twin rear wheels it's advisable to have four leveling blocks. Once you have the van level then is the time to lower the steadies. Good luck in the hunt for the new van. Don

Ferries: Have a look at the Norfolk Line site (www.travel.norfolkline.com), you can type in your length and weight before getting a price. You could also try having a look at the MTC website as they are very good(www.ferrytickets.net) I've found they know of the best deals, this year we're going with Norfolk Line in June (free crossing won in a competition) but the cheapest for our August/September holiday was with Sea France, through the MTC. The MTC is a 'club' (it used to be called the Motorhome Ticket Club) and joining means you can access the discount ferry tickets amongst other things, it really is worth doing so and no, you don't get bombarded with loads of bumph for the priviledge. Levels, we always keep our handbrake on when on site but don't block the wheels, leaving it in gear as well to be safe.

Enrico, Like you I was a first time buyer of a new van, and chose a Bessacarr E795. After obtaining quotes from a number of Dealers, I ended up ordering from an Ace Dealer on the South Coast. I confirmed the deal at Earls Court which got me a better discount. The van was ordered for 1st March, and was delivered to the Dealer in early February. I have found no major faults with the van, and feel the quality of build is better than expected. The few minor faults such as a flickering reverse camera when braking and a fractured piece of internal trim will be repaired / replaced by the Dealer later in the year. I also had a waste sensor valve which was reading wrong ( I replaced myself with part supplied by the Dealer). Fiat service agent did have to re align the Steering Wheel and re set the heater control to blow hot air in the cab to my feet. After reading an article on the van in MMM, I did have a roof vent fitted to the toilet compartment before delivery, and this has been a good investment. Was advised by Dealer not to bother with corner steadies, and have not missed them. I did find that the smaller Dealers seemed to have the best pencil sharpeners. Best of luck with your shopping. David

Can't say I've ever had problems relating to motorhome height over 2.5m when it comes to obtaining on-line Channel-crossing quotes, but I admit to being interested only in travelling on the longer western routes. It does need saying that special offers sometimes don't show on the websites and, conversely, that websites may theoretically permit one to book crossings 'ineligible' to motorhomes. Nowadays I do an on-line search to identify the cheaper crossings, then phone the ferry company to see if there are special offers, then book through MTC who can normally save me a few quid. Regarding levelling blocks, the wider, longer and heavier-duty the better. Out of laziness I try to avoid using them when I can, but there comes a point when the vehicle is so tilted that life within becomes miserable. As has been emphasised before, corner steadies are purely for stabilising the vehicle. Our last 'van didn't have them and we never missed them: our current 'van has them but we shall never use them. Their main benefit arises when a motorhome design has a rear overhang that's a large percentage of the vehicle's wheelbase. This tends to cause the motorhome to seesaw uncomfortably round the back axle whenever anyone moves around inside. The important thing to remember when using steadies is to raise them BEFORE you move the motorhome! I suggest you make yourself a 'pre-drive' check-list. Mine goes as follows: Steadies retracted? Entrance-step retracted? 230V hook-up cable on board? Levelling blocks on board? Roof-lights shut? Windows shut? Fridge on 12V? Gas-bottle OFF? This is on a large piece of card that I hang over the steering wheel (when I remember!!).

Wonderful.Thanks a bunch to all that have replied so far and I will most certainly be putting all the info. to good use. However no one has advised me on the dealership/show discount structure or is that something all motorhomers keep away from? I really don`t wish to upset anyone as I am a happy chappy as I`m learning from you all,all the time.Thanks again :-)

You say - "However no one has advised me on the dealership/show discount structure or is that something all motorhomers keep away from?" As you know exactly what you want, will be buying new and have no part exchange, then it would be sensible to research prices with Bessacarr agencies that are reasonably close to where you live. I'm doubtful in your case that 'show offers' will be any more advantageous to you than negotiating a discounted deal at a local agency. Can't help with Bessacarr dealerships' profit margins I'm afraid - you'll just have to put your hard-bargaining hat on.

Archived