Breakdown Insurance

donal

My current insurance policy includes breakdown cover free of charge. It covers roadside repair up to 1 hour and if not successfull towing to a repair ceter within 50 miles. I have a 2004 Hymer I bought a few months ago. Do I need to take out AA 5 star cover or is what I have got already sufficient. I would really appreciate some advise on this.

Hi, I belive the AA 5 star (albeit i'm not sure if its still called that) has a number of elements it can provide medical cover and i belive a few other items such as over night accomodation and car hire etc etc. you need to check what is included within your existing breakdown cover and then decide ? on what you need ? The other question is where are you intending to go ?? if its into France/Spain etc. then i would suggest you have medical insurance and the new E111 replacement card, I would also have some form of breakdown insurance that provides a hire vehicle and accomodation if the vehicle is out of use for more than 24 hours as you need to remember it is your home while you are traveling. I am sure if you give us some idea of what your intentions are the other people hear will come up with a list of the items etc that they recccomend you take with you ? hope that helps Brian

Donal Does your current breakdown cover also provide repatriation of your motorhome back to the UK if necessary? I know that the AA would only include this facility up to a certain vehicle length/weight some time ago. However, the RAC will accept long/heavy vehicles via the Arrival scheme through the Caravan and Camping Club.

Archived