No more drinking or wild camping near Loch Lomond

laimeduck

The following article explains:-

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/302823-police-crackdown-on-anti-social-behaviour-at-loch-lomond/

So no drinking & no camping in the Trossachs! The mind boggles at why they need an underwater unit to police this? Underwater drinking maybe? Skinny dipping? I would have thought the water would be so cold there would be nothing to see anyway.

Jeremy It seems you have never been to Loch Lomond then ! … you will have never seen the amount of refuse and rubbish and campfires left by the so called weekend " campers " this is more so on the west side of Loch Lomond the amounts are staggering broken bottles litter the foreshore.

as far as I am aware the order only covers the West side of the Loch.

Alf

Alf you are right - the last time I went to Loch Lomond was in 1966! It was beautiful then.

We had hitchhiked up from South London en route for a farm in Skermolie near Largs & camped on the shore on the West side. No rubbish & no-one else around. I remember we stopped a MIlkman going by and he sold us some milk for our campfire porridge cooked on a wood fire. Idyllic.

Sorry to hear that the oiks have got to it now.

Just goes to show how a few can ruin it for the many.

We used to have a camp fire / bbq on the shore (or one of the islands) of windermere when we had the boat (sold last one 3yrs ago) we used to anchor about 30yds off shore then use tenders to get to dry land, kids used to love it in fact so did the adults. Was about 12 of us usually and we allways left it cleaner than we found it. Some idiots of course didnt so we ended up cleaning up after them sometimes.

This was reported a few months ago & there was a "Youtube" video showing the extent of the rubbish at the backend of season.

It resembled the aftermath of a very wet Music Festival unfortunately, so it was inevitable something had to be done.

Talking about music festivals .... someone came to buy a tent and other bits off my hubby last week for his son as he was going to a festival again - he'd gone to one last year and his Dad had bought him all the gear including wellies but the lad left EVERYTHING behind ... he didn't bother to take anything at all home! Why his Dad was buying it all for him again is beyond me! Whether this is 'the norm' or not I don't know, but the mess left to be cleared up and waste of money would make me sick! No wonder no-one wants these things anywhere near them.

Guest 1footinthegrave

The UK is fast becoming one giant rubbish dump..............

Come and take a look at our beach and sand dunes after this weekend if you really want to see the "beauty" of the human race. It will resemble an open air tip, discarded barbecues, broken beach chairs, every kind of container known to man, including smashed glass, and the very new phenomena, fresh dog poo in bags, thanks visitors. Now piss off back to the dumps from where you came from, I despair. >:-)

Interestingly, I knew something of the clampdown and introduction of new bylaws in the Loch Lomond area. So I was somewhat surprised last week when we pulled into a layby on the west side for a break - as we were heading south - to find a group of 4 gypsy caravans with all there paraphernalia spread around, including oversize calor cylinders. They looked as though they were there for the duration at the water's edge, and occupying a large proportion of the parking space. Needless to say, we moved on to another layby.

mikebeaches - 2012-04-14 9:20 AM

Interestingly, I knew something of the clampdown and introduction of new bylaws in the Loch Lomond area. So I was somewhat surprised last week when we pulled into a layby on the west side for a break - as we were heading south - to find a group of 4 gypsy caravans with all there paraphernalia spread around, including oversize calor cylinders. They looked as though they were there for the duration at the water's edge, and occupying a large proportion of the parking space. Needless to say, we moved on to another layby.

As far as anyone in Authority is concerned the Travelers are beyond reproach and are not covered by the same laws as any law abiding person Motor homes and cars are easy picking to the police

Alf

The problem with Loch Lomond is it is far too close to Glasgow and the main population centres.I found that out on my first trip to Scotland 40 years ago, I was a Frame tenter then, with 2 young children and chose the C &CC site at Millorochy bay, thinking it was in 'the wilds of Scotland', Wild it certainly was, but not the natural kind, 'Weekenders' 'Ruled' all of the Lochside pitches, with speedboats, jetski's , All night parties etc., etc.,. Even the warden at the time was unable (or unwilling) to control them, even after several complaints, Monday came and all was peaceful again (but their 'lochside pitches 'reserved' until next weekend !!). Unfortunately we were booked for two weeks. And a Frame-tent isn't easy to 'move-on'. Many of the lochside lay-byes, picnic areas all around the Loch seemed to get the same treatment, even back then. We have Never been back, we go much further north.

Ray

as for the 'Travellers', well, i have always thought that a well driven Council Bulldozer would solve the 'Obsruction' of a public place, in no time.

Rayjsj - 2012-04-14 1:26 PM

The problem with Loch Lomond is it is far too close to Glasgow and the main population centres.I found that out on my first trip to Scotland 40 years ago, I was a Frame tenter then, with 2 young children and chose the C &CC site at Millorochy bay, thinking it was in 'the wilds of Scotland', Wild it certainly was, but not the natural kind, 'Weekenders' 'Ruled' all of the Lochside pitches, with speedboats, jetski's , All night parties etc., etc.,. Even the warden at the time was unable (or unwilling) to control them, even after several complaints, Monday came and all was peaceful again (but their 'lochside pitches 'reserved' until next weekend !!). Unfortunately we were booked for two weeks. And a Frame-tent isn't easy to 'move-on'. Many of the lochside lay-byes, picnic areas all around the Loch seemed to get the same treatment, even back then. We have Never been back, we go much further north.

Ray

as for the 'Travellers', well, i have always thought that a well driven Council Bulldozer would solve the 'Obsruction' of a public place, in no time.

We also stayed at this campsite and we had exactly the same experience as you Ray. We were towing a caravan in those days, but never again! In fact this site and Normans Bay, that is almost the same, were the reasons we left the C&CC. We rejoined recently but we steer clear of their sites if they are by water!

Guest 1footinthegrave

We live near Aberdyfi, we have a bloke who has been living in his beat up old luton van complete with coal fire and chimney, the smoke of which regularly drifts across the main road, he's been on the lay-by for to my knowledge 5 years. To be fair I find him a bit of a mystery as I cannot imagine how he gets on for essentials like toilet and fresh water, especially in the dead of winter, and wonder about the legality of his vehicle which he does drive from time to time.

He obviously is well known to the local constabulary, but is apparently left alone to wild camp continuously. He looks a "character" and I'm not sure how he would react if approached, but would love to have a chat, he might have some good tips for all of us. ;-)

Archived