Greece

GeoffnSue

Hi,

We are off to Greece for the 6th time............. we love it......... but we have usually taken the ferry from Venice, fantastic to float through th city.

But this year due to the Greek problem there are no sailings from Venice, so will have to go to Ancona.

No real problem but looking at the port and surrounding area on 'Google earth' has anyone got any good ideas as to where to park up and relax if we can't arrive just in time to get on the ferry. Thanks.

Hi all. We travelled from Ancona to Patras last year. We stayed at a sosta on the outskirts of Ancona, I believe (from my notes) that the co-ords are: N43degrees36minutes01.19seconds E13degrees29minutes07.33seconds. It is called Camper Club Adriatica Sosta di Campagio. There are a load of spaces for campervans just off the road but you actually have to drive through the gates and go uphill to where the overnight parking with electric hookup and water is. The gates are shut at night for safety and, from memory it cost from 8 to 12 Euros per night - I stayed 2 nights (I was a couple of days early for the ferry!) but weused the time to stroll through the park opposite and even walked into the town of Ancona and had a good look at the cathedral and did some shopping.

Hi all.

Surprised that there have not been a few more responses to this thread. I recall that the only sad memory about my trip to Greece was the rip off by both the Minoan and Anek lines. I travelled from Ancona to Patras via Minoan Line and although I booked Deck Travel I was forced to pay for a cabin because they would not let us stay in the campervan (this despite the brochure which showed the option) . I disputed this in Patras to no avail and so elected to travel back to Venice via Anek line and again no availability to sleep in the motorhome despite all the hype about this mode of travel in CC magazine et al. A lesson learned but it did dampen my travel through europe. The cockiness of the Pursers on each line is indicative of the trouble the Greek nation suffer today! No leeway or possibility that this passenger might travel with us again more do I care - no.

aande83 - 2012-04-09 9:52 PM

Hi all.

Surprised that there have not been a few more responses to this thread. I recall that the only sad memory about my trip to Greece was the rip off by both the Minoan and Anek lines. I travelled from Ancona to Patras via Minoan Line and although I booked Deck Travel I was forced to pay for a cabin because they would not let us stay in the campervan (this despite the brochure which showed the option) . I disputed this in Patras to no avail and so elected to travel back to Venice via Anek line and again no availability to sleep in the motorhome despite all the hype about this mode of travel in CC magazine et al. A lesson learned but it did dampen my travel through europe. The cockiness of the Pursers on each line is indicative of the trouble the Greek nation suffer today! No leeway or possibility that this passenger might travel with us again more do I care - no.

You don't state when you travelled -camping on board is only allowed April to September. The best source on the web for information on and how to book Greek ferries for campers is at magbaztravels.com

We travelled out to Greece in August from Ancona and returned to Venice in late September. There was a long queue at the pursers office on board. Some got a free upgrade to cabin others, like me, didnt! (I guess it depended how demonstrative you were) When I booked the ferry I had their brochure in my hand so I knew what was on offer. I even opened my notebook and showed them the booking to no avail. Some you win some you lose. It did not stop us having an excellent tour of Greece.

Archived