Parvo Virus at Withernsea Beach - Beware

Mel B

Not strictly a specific 'motorhome' issue, but it is important nonetheless:

If anyone is planning on going to Withernsea on the East coast with the intention of going on the beach ... don't ... the beach is closed as there is an outbreak of parvo virus apparently.

I feel sorry for all the families holidaying there for Easter as they'll be disappointed.

Luckily, I am, as a human, safe from all but the B19 strain of Parvovirus. This commonly causes "Slapcheek"

in children up to about age 15. Since I am somewhat over that age I am most likely immune to that as well :-D

The other strains are infectious to dogs but since they should be innoculated against them it is unlikely to be a problem except for puppies who have not had the jabs.

Strange that they should close the beach for Parvovirus then. I would have thought the washing action of the waves and exposure to sunlight would quickly remove any virus.

Good old "Elf and safety" no doubt.

H

Its a must to get your puppies inoculated against parvo and other nasties, I wonder though how they know a certain area is infected? I like H would have thought the salt action of the waves cleansing the sand would make it safe.

My Vet years ago told me that Parvo was rife in the area we were living at that time but didnt specify where.

But thanks for the warning Mel although its unlikely we will be in that area some others might.

I've just read this on Wikipedia:

Prevention is the only way to ensure that a puppy or dog remains healthy because the disease is extremely virulent and contagious. The virus is extremely hardy and has been found to survive in feces and other organic material such as soil for over a year . It survives extremely cold and hot temperatures. The only household disinfectant that kills the virus is bleach.

We do get seals on occasion on the beach as well as seaweed etc, so maybe that's why it's closed completely.

:-|

hallii - 2012-04-07 4:41 PM

...I would have thought the washing action of the waves and exposure to sunlight would quickly remove any virus.

Good old "Elf and safety" no doubt.

H

...Maybe the infected "organic matter" had been thoughtfully scooped into little plastic bags..? ;-)

Mel B - 2012-04-07 11:39 PM

I've just read this on Wikipedia:

Prevention is the only way to ensure that a puppy or dog remains healthy because the disease is extremely virulent and contagious. The virus is extremely hardy and has been found to survive in feces and other organic material such as soil for over a year . It survives extremely cold and hot temperatures. The only household disinfectant that kills the virus is bleach.

We do get seals on occasion on the beach as well as seaweed etc, so maybe that's why it's closed completely.

:-|

only joking Mel important for those of us with dogs

???????????????????????????????????????????????????

images.jpg.5593f7a03bc52b7f0ea208aae9df2ef0.jpg

donna miller - 2012-04-10 4:56 PM

More fuel for the anti dog brigade.

..Just the sort of comment we've come to expect from the "Dog sh*t denialists" *-)

Well...there's no smoke without fire.. ;-)

(..ie: "No dog sh*t = No anti dog brigade"...)

Oh..no I forgot,it's health & safety...and those pesky seals fault that the beach was closed...?

(..although I suppose it could be all a "tale" though eh, Donna...?...)

Some of us are responsible dog owners actually clear up after the dog!

thats like saying

motorhomes should be banned as a few people that use them camp anywhere and make a mess.

All caravans should be banned as some are used by pikies.

All crisps should be banned as people throw down the packet after eating them.

HITLER YOUTH anyone?

jhorsf - 2012-04-10 6:02 PM

Some of us are responsible dog owners actually clear up after the dog!

I dare say some of you must be..after all,I've yet to meet or hear of one who admits to being otherwise.

;-)

..what I find odd is that,on a thread covering a subject where it's *likely* that the actions(or lack of) of irresponsible dog owners *may* have contributed to the closure of a whole beach,not one "responsible" dog owner has spoken up condemning them(..unlike on the "CC ban dogs peeing" thread,where they were all outraged..for page..after page...! )..instead we get comments aimed at H&S and the so called "anti-dog brigade"... *-)

Archived