Camping Cheques

PJay

I have tried to search, but came up with "Not Found". I know this has been asked before.

I am thinking of getting a few CC this year going end of month.

Can any one tell me

1, Do you automaticaly get a guide book with your purchase.

2 What is the difference between Paper Cheques, Gold card or Silver card.

we do use ACSI most of the time, but thought maybe would have a bit more choice with CC as well

I have looked on the web site, but its not clear (re Book), so I thought others who have used them could advise, is it worth getting a few?

PJay

There is not much difference between paper cheques and the Silver Card, the latter being an electronic version on the the former. You do pay a small fee to get a Silver Card. Paper Cheques are handy if you think you will need to sell them on, there seems a ready market for them. The Gold Card is a different kettle of fish in that you have to pay the equivalent of 3 cheques to get one. It does offer some advantages like advanced booking and the possibilty of getting points towards more cheques but really only an advantage if you use it a lot.

David

Thanks David

Paper cheques seem to be the answer then, as we may not use many, though they do last two years I believe.

Does the book come with the cheques? or will I have to get that as well ?

We bought a book, map and silver card at the NEC a couple of years ago for £3 and have activated the silver card but never used it. Didn't realise you could buy paper cheques and sell them on if you don't use them.

The book is quite comprehensive and the map is really useful for looking up where you are going and what is on offer, wish ACSI did similar as the little booklet that I got with my book and card is a bit on the fiddly side when your hands are suffering from arthritis.

Hi Cheryl

I know what you mean about Acsi map, they used to do a full page map , which IMo was much better than the "Booklet Map" you now get, but still brilliant value for money.

i am still hoping some one will tell me if I have to buy the book , or does it come with the cheques.? My gut feeling is that I will have to buy it seperately. I don't mind that, but don't want to finish up with two books!

Yes you will get a book by ordering, we now use the silver card it's easier on site,to lazy to keep filling in names and address on the cheques.

If you wont the cheques I would allow plenty of time for them to come and do it over the phone rather than the net.

Roy

Thanks Roy

That's what I needed to know. i will telephone them, will have to be Tues now, as I guess will not be open over the holiday.I found there web site a bit confusing, so I agree phone will be safer.

Not sure this is a précis.... trying to answer a few queries...

We have been using Camping Cheques so long [way back to our tenting days] that I have almost forgotten the procedure.

Yes, you do pay for the Directory as an extra… but, I think… it is cheaper if you buy on-line, and buy the Cheques at the same time.

We use the Silver Card now instead of paper cheques… so much easier. And, if you lose the card, it will be replaced along with the credit [minus some admin fee, I think].

We rely mainly on an ACSI card, but always have our Silver Card topped up – and it has proved its worth… last Autumn, we stayed on a site on Lake Garda which didn’t accept ACSI, but did take CCs. Without them, the pitch fee would have been 26 Euros per night. Even with the cost of the Directory, and the fee for topping up the Silver Card, [we did not have enough for the full stay] it was well worth it.

Advantage of Silver Card – you can top up electronically whilst abroad. With paper Cheques you have to receive them through the post. I think…..

Anyway… what do I know??.. We take some on the Silver Card, 10 -15 each 2/3 month trip, as back up, and top up, if we need to.

Some areas where we want to stay have sites which do not feature in the ACSI scheme but accept CCs.

[Cue the Aire Fans / Wild Campers who will eschew the very notion of staying on a campsite... but,,, we sometimes do still "tug" or take a tent!!!!]

They are usable for 2 years... but, I think, that with the Silver Card you can have a refund if not used... minus an admin fee... but we never have any left so, for us, that has never been tried and tested.

Retread24800 - 2012-04-07 10:16 PM

Can someone précis the advantage of Camping Cheques? against a credit card or cash. As far as I know they are only exchangeable on a very limited number of sites and if you fail to spend them they expire after the second year. Am I right so far?

Does 622 campsites count as a limited number of sites? As has been mentioned there is usually quite a price saving by using cheques.

In my earlier post I mentioned selling unused ones. I should say that this is not in the sprit of the T&C's but providing only small numbers are sold a blind eye seems to be turned.

Its worth looking at the prices on the French Camping Cheque site as these prices were fixed before the modest increase in the value of sterling. This is only really an option for Silver and Gold card owners as they are immediately credit to you account. Likewise you could oreder whilst on holiday if you have a change of plans that requires more cheques.

David

Hi PJ

Like you we use Acsi, but also use CC and "Touring Cheques", as mentioned there are loads of sites using CC's not so many using touring cheques, but a good addition, and some sites do stay 7 nights for 6 ....(low season)

The main advantage with the CC's silver card is you can top up at the sites so you can take a minimum on the card and add whilst away. The book I believe if you order online is £3. :-D

Derek & Pauline

We have a Silver card and bought a further 15 cheques last March. We didn't use any until this March and downloaded them on to our card at a campsite.

These cheques are only valid until the end of this year. They are valid until the end of the year after you buy them from the time they are bought not the time they are downloaded i.e bought now expire December 2013

Margaret and David

PJay - 2012-04-07 10:09 PM

Thanks Roy

That's what I needed to know. i will telephone them, will have to be Tues now, as I guess will not be open over the holiday.I found there web site a bit confusing, so I agree phone will be safer.

If you haven't booked your ferry yet, can I suggest you try the CC for a quote and ask if they have any extra offers on? I didn't know about this 'extras' but a friend told me and I tried it last year. Not only did I get a discount on the ferry as against direct, they also gave me 7 camping cheques free of charge. The cheques came with the book also foc. Couldn't use the cheques last year as was away in high season but intend to use them this year in June

Mike

[

If you haven't booked your ferry yet, can I suggest you try the CC for a quote and ask if they have any extra offers on? I didn't know about this 'extras' but a friend told me and I tried it last year. Not only did I get a discount on the ferry as against direct, they also gave me 7 camping cheques free of charge. The cheques came with the book also foc. Couldn't use the cheques last year as was away in high season but intend to use them this year in June

Mike

Mike , I have booked the tunnel, with Tesco vouchers , cost me £30.00 one way

as we live very close to Portsmouth Ferry (10mins) our best option is the Fast Cat to Cherbourg. The CC do not offer this route as it does not take caravans We can be across the water in the time it takes to drive to Dover/Folkestone. We shall be returning this way (Not yet booked,) as we like to leave it open untill we know we are returning

Klyne - 2012-04-08 12:41 AM
Retread24800 - 2012-04-07 10:16 PMCan someone précis the advantage of Camping Cheques? against a credit card or cash. As far as I know they are only exchangeable on a very limited number of sites and if you fail to spend them they expire after the second year. Am I right so far?
Does 622 camp sites count as a limited number of sites?

Compared with the 9600 sites in Europe quoted by ASCI yes or only 6.5% of all sites.

Retread24800 - 2012-04-08 4:59 PM
Klyne - 2012-04-08 12:41 AM
Retread24800 - 2012-04-07 10:16 PMCan someone précis the advantage of Camping Cheques? against a credit card or cash. As far as I know they are only exchangeable on a very limited number of sites and if you fail to spend them they expire after the second year. Am I right so far?
Does 622 camp sites count as a limited number of sites?

Compared with the 9600 sites in Europe quoted by ASCI yes or only 6.5% of all sites.

According to the ACSI 2012 directory, there are about 2,300 sites which accept the card. Not all the ACSI inspected sites [the 9,600 you quote?] give a discount.

That is my point these cheques, non refundable are only useful on an extremely limited number of camp sites in the whole of Europe, 640 at the last count, ASCI allows a fixed price discount on over 2000 and you pay when you use! The 10000 sites quoted was to demonstrate to the population of the off shore part of Europe just how many sites were available to them, and those were only the ones listed by ASCI!!!!!

Retread24800 - 2012-04-08 5:43 PM

That is my point these cheques, non refundable are only useful on an extremely limited number of camp sites in the whole of Europe, 640 at the last count, ASCI allows a fixed price discount on over 2000 and you pay when you use! The 10000 sites quoted was to demonstrate to the population of the off shore part of Europe just how many sites were available to them, and those were only the ones listed by ASCI!!!!!

Your point implied, or at least I inferred from it, that you were claiming that 9,600 sites accepted the ACSI discount card. Far fewer than that do of course.

Camping Cheques are useful IF you wish to stay on a site which accepts Cheques and doesn’t accept the ACSI discount card.

We use both. It’s true that we make more use of the ACSI card, but, if we know we are likely to stay on a site accepting only Cheques, we top up our Silver Card, and top up as we travel if we find a need. The CC scheme does fill gaps in the ACSI provision.

Retread24800 - 2012-04-08 5:43 PM

I would accept that the ACSI Card offers somewhat less hassle than having to buy Camping Cheques and offers three times the choice but all that is immaterial if the site you wish to stay on only accepts Camping Cheques.

David

We use ACSI and a CC Gold Card, which I persuaded myself was a good deal 2 years ago. It lasts for 3. You get the book free and it is easy to top up the card from anywhere and the cheques are then available immediately.

I agrre that there are more ACSI sites but they cater for a wider range of sites from basic to top of the range. I also will confimr that many ACSI Inspected sites do not actually accept ACSI cards. The CC tends to limit itself to medium to upper range sites. It has the advantage of having the sites paid and not having to carry cash, it also allows, as does ACSI, for advance booking with no reservation fee and on certain sites that like CC you get a better choice of pitch.

I also carry about 3 paper cheques for those sites where the machine does not work for the card and I actually receivd the cheques from the Caravan Club credit card loyalty scheme. Takes a while but as they are free, why not.

Archived