Nationwide Travel Insurance

Hawcara

With the Flexaccount you get 'free' travel insurance. Last year we used Red Pennant, which included all that but this year going with the Comfort breakdown cover and Nationwide free travel insurance.

Does anyone know of any problems with the Nationwide 'free' travel insurance or have had any usage out of it?

I ask all of this as it is a bit late if we have to call upon it.

Thank you

B-)

Banks insurance does not cover you for over 65 or if you have medical problems. (usually) Double check this before you go. They might also limit the number of days per trip or the nujmber of days a year you are away

chris

If you had a nationwide account before a certain date ( about 2 years ago when they brought this in) I think you can get european travel insurance until you are 75, no questions asked. More recently opened accounts have a lower age limit for free insurance and they want to know your medical history. May be worth you ringing up the helpline to check if you qualify for the enhanced cover. I have not had cause to claim on this myself so do not know how good they are in practice - I too would be interested to know how good they are on claims in practice.

I cannot speak for the Nationwide health insurance as although I have a flex account I do not qualify for the insurance cover.

We did have insurance cover through Lloyds TSB and their insurance was through AXA or AXXA how ever you spell it. OH has blood pressure problems and I have had cancer problems but we managed to qualify for their free cover. We never travelled for more than 15 days though! I always had confidence in the type of cover though.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, hope that it is.

Hawcara - 2012-04-08 8:06 PM

With the Flexaccount you get 'free' travel insurance.

Does anyone know of any problems with the Nationwide 'free' travel insurance or have had any usage out of it?

Yes.

If unfortunate enough to have to make a claim, be prepared for a very long wait. I was covered with Nationwide when I had to return to the UK after getting robbed in Spain in December 2011. I filed a claim on January 3rd 2012 and three months later they contacted me to ask for proof of my return.....which had already been sent back in January. In other words they had lost what i'd sent them but were not prepared to admit it. So my claim had sat on someones desk in an office for three months doing nothing before they decided to contact me.

I had to contact the UK Border Agency who went through their files and their Chief Immigration Officer emailed me copy of the date and time I re-entered the UK. I sent that on to Nationwide a week last Saturday.

I am still waiting for them to settle my claim. I personally would not recommend.

Thanks for this information-will look into this as the cost offered to us for insurance ia astronomical.

Bit off topic but we were insured with Axa/PPP with private health up until retiring (this included travel insurance foc) and they were superb when my wife developed cancer and also when I had heart problems.

If they are underwriting Nationwide, I think I will open an account and get free insurance as theoretically they will have knowledge and satisfaction of both our existing conditions-won't they? Hope so!

Once again, thanks for the info

Mike

Hi,

We have the "free" insurance from Nationwide. Its handled by UK Insurance Ltd and we have upgraded it to 60 days for £40 and worldwide cover (as we are visiting the USA later in the year) for £30. The upper age limit is now 74 I believe.

We haven't had to claim on it (yet!)

Steve 

Homenaway - 2012-04-09 9:27 PMHi,

We have the "free" insurance from Nationwide. Its handled by UK Insurance Ltd and we have upgraded it to 60 days for £40 and worldwide cover (as we are visiting the USA later in the year) for £30. The upper age limit is now 74 I believe.

Steve 
No Ive just got a new leaflet it 75 .

maggyd - 2012-04-09 10:21 PM
Homenaway - 2012-04-09 9:27 PMHi,

Steve 
No Ive just got a new leaflet it 75 .
We both covered by Nationwide ages 75 and 76 Don't know if they will renew in October . But did this year and for 90 days.will have to wait and see!!

Hawcara - 2012-04-08 8:06 PM

With the Flexaccount you get 'free' travel insurance. Last year we used Red Pennant, which included all that but this year going with the Comfort breakdown cover and Nationwide free travel insurance.

I ask all of this as it is a bit late if we have to call upon it.

Thank you

B-)

Ive just found out that having a Flexiaccount doesnt entitle you to it :-S you need to have a Current account that you pay out all your standing orders from, we were misinformed when opening our second ISa with them only a couple of weeks ago !! it doesnt matter how much you bank with them ! if you havent this Current Account you cant get it and you have to be 73 when you opened this account to get it if your older.

We have just taken out the RedPennant with CC. it was very reasonable at £196 for 6 weeks.

Hi Hawcara

I think Banks insurances are usually aligned to the type of account you have. By that I mean if you have a 'no'charge account ie, one without a monthly fee then the insurance seems quite basic..The insurance cover then seems to increase the higher up the ladder the monthly charges are for you to hold that account.

I am not saying do not take advantage of this insurance I am merely saying I would check the terms and conditions closely.

cheers

derek

Archived