E-bay rant

cerro

Do people have the same quirks as I have, or am I different just tried to sell my Timberland motor home on e-bay but I have to use their payment method or I can’t sell it. IE PayPal or a monthly account where they have all my details and bill me, I just want them to send me a bill up front if necessary and I will pay as I want to. This is after an hour of talking to Numbers and zombie like computers and people I don’t understand where has the days gone where you could pick up the phone and speak to someone about a problem in English. Bye Bye e-Bay

It’s the same with Amazon I order a book never notice the suckle new methods of payment worded very craftily (American) next time I order its automatically deducted with one key pressed this might be ok for a lot of people but at 78 I’m old fashioned and like to pay my way so I can keep a check on things That now been deleted

I think these big American companies like Google. Microsoft, e-bay, Amazon. Have got far too big for their boots. Rant Over, Thank you for listening please go easy on me.

cerro - 2012-04-09 10:36 AM

Do people have the same quirks as I have, or am I different just tried to sell my Timberland motor home on e-bay but I have to use their payment method or I can’t sell it. IE PayPal or a monthly account where they have all my details and bill me, I just want them to send me a bill up front if necessary and I will pay as I want to. This is after an hour of talking to Numbers and zombie like computers and people I don’t understand where has the days gone where you could pick up the phone and speak to someone about a problem in English. Bye Bye e-Bay

It’s the same with Amazon I order a book never notice the suckle new methods of payment worded very craftily (American) next time I order its automatically deducted with one key pressed this might be ok for a lot of people but at 78 I’m old fashioned and like to pay my way so I can keep a check on things That now been deleted

I think these big American companies like Google. Microsoft, e-bay, Amazon. Have got far too big for their boots. Rant Over, Thank you for listening please go easy on me.

Hi Cerro

The reason you can't be billed up front is because Ebay add a % of final price as a commission for using their service (Final Value Fee) this is in addition to your listing fee. Paypal is quite a good system but be aware they charge a Transaction Fee (ie % of Final payment through Paypal) on all incoming transactions (nothing for outgoing) They take this from your 'payment received' before depositing the balance in your Paypal acct. Paypal will charge your debit card if you want to do it that way to pay for goods bought.They will also pay Ebay for you from this.

Mike

Guest pelmetman

I put my box trailer up for sale on ebay yesterday £1500...........and have had 2 people email so far offering £1300 and they want to pay a deposit on Pay Pal and the rest either in cash of bank transfer :-S....

I've not responded yet.......................Is this a bit dodgy? :-S

Guest JudgeMental
Your loss! Ebay is great cheap advertising..while you are waithing a couple of months for add to come out in MMM *-) you could get rid on ebey within weeks.

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2012-04-09 11:14 AM

I put my box trailer up for sale on ebay yesterday £1500...........and have had 2 people email so far offering £1300 and they want to pay a deposit on Pay Pal and the rest either in cash of bank transfer :-S....

Not at all, but after selling hundreds of things on Ebay I'd advise you to respond by saying you will only accept CASH for that sort of amount on collection, if you wanted to you could send them directly a Paypal money request for a deposit, then cancel the listing instantly when received.

As for the OP, place a "classified" which the last time I looked was a fixed fee, and no commission on the sale, so Ebay or Paypal are irrelevant in that case. Mind you I'm assuming you are already a registered Ebay user, if not that's why they want your details to deduct any selling or classified ad fee's, it's the modern way I'm afraid, especially considering these companies have millions of users like myself, it simply would be impractical to send paper billings. I'd advise sticking to paper publications to sell your van like MMM if your not happy to do that.

Dave:- I assume you've put it on as a "Buy it now", or put a reserve price on it?

I've sold a couple of hundred items on e-bay but always on an "auction" basis. (I think the fees are higher for price auctions & maybe Buy it Now?).

I will never do a deal before the auction has ended - because most people bid in the last few seconds & you are likely to miss out. Just put in a start price that reflects the lowest amount you will accept.

I also insist that payment is by one transaction (paypal or cash) & I never release the goods until the entire amount has been paid.

So - yes - their requests are dodgy in my opinion!

Guest 1footinthegrave
mandale - 2012-04-09 12:27 PM

I have some vans on ebay and only have one question, why do people watch a classifield advert, I can understand watching an item you need to bid on but not a fixed priced item?

In my experience some people have no interest in bidding and ultimately being outbid if they are looking for a specific item, at the right price, pal of mine just sold his Toyota Avensis on a classified in just three days. I have had similar experiences with both "buy it now" and classifieds. Despite what Ebay say "auctions" are not bombproof, and many sellers never see the buyer to complete the deal, or turn out to be tyre kickers, IMO a waste of time, and hassle for things like M/homes, and vehicles

As for the watch thing, you may wish to go and see a few prior to buying, hence the "watch" feature so you do not lose track, or you may have a similar vehicle to sell and are trying to gauge the market before you list it ( assuming they are not sold in the meantime ) ;-)

I sold my car and A-frame on e-bay last year. It was brilliant. I posted the ad at about 3.00pm and by 7.00pm had a cash buyer. He turned up as promised the next day with the cash. I used the classified advert method.

Yesterday I helped my neighbour to advertise his BMW. He also used a classified advertisement for a fixed fee of £14.99 for 28 days and used his credit card to pay for the ad. Try it again, Cerro, it takes a bit of sussing out but it's worth it in the end.

Guest pelmetman

Thanks 1foot, Jeremy ;-)

Yes it is on buy now.......................I've only used ebay a few times, and then I made a right cock up of it, I managed somehow to sell a footstool for a fiver...................including delivery :-S 8-)

I think I'll give it a couple of days before I respond :D

Apologies to Cerro for hijacking his thread :$

If you read my rant I already spoke to some one no sence out of her at all Why cant they bill me for the £10 fee which I will pay then when its sold bill me for the £40 which I will pay but I am makeing the payments not being forced into a method I dont agree with?

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2012-04-09 1:09 PM

Thanks 1foot, Jeremy ;-)

Yes it is on buy now.......................I've only used ebay a few times, and then I made a right cock up of it, I managed somehow to sell a footstool for a fiver...................including delivery :-S 8-)

I think I'll give it a couple of days before I respond :D

Apologies to Cerro for hijacking his thread :$

As they say "don't panic" if your getting interest now I'd hang on, or ask them to telephone you directly giving your phone number through Ebay messaging, agree a deal if you feel they are bombproof and could turn up that day, but only if they are prepared to give you their landline tel number NOT a mobile, then cancel your listing, no commission that way, naughty but nice, knowing you that would bring a warm glow :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
cerro - 2012-04-09 1:14 PM

If you read my rant I already spoke to some one no sence out of her at all Why cant they bill me for the £10 fee which I will pay then when its sold bill me for the £40 which I will pay but I am makeing the payments not being forced into a method I dont agree with?

Sorry mate, but save yourself the grief, they are not going to change their system just to accommodate you I'm afraid, they have millions of users, it would be completely impractical what you suggest, and like all businesses you have to agree with terms and conditions that's the way of the world.

Go with a conventional paper publication, as I said like MMM

How exactly are you suggesting you pay them? Paypal makes sense and it will cost you nothing, money comes direct from your bank so no differant to paying by debit card, what is your problem?

No, this is normal, you get the security of an instant deposit and take the balance in cash. The deposit by Paypal will cost you a percentage you could pass this on but if only say £200 it is not much. We sold over 200 cars on ebay over three years and always insisted on a £200 deposit by paypal within 24 hours, lots of time wasters out their.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2012-04-09 2:03 PM

How exactly are you suggesting you pay them? Paypal makes sense and it will cost you nothing, money comes direct from your bank so no differant to paying by debit card, what is your problem?

The OP said..................."ok for a lot of people but at 78 I’m old fashioned"

I think that sums up the problem some folk have including the OP, it's a very different world for some now, including me at times. IMO he'd be best sticking to old fashioned advertising as I have said quite a few times now, rather than giving himself grief over Ebay.

Expert, the problem is I dont want to go on a monthly billing system where mistakes can be made over the next so many months where I have to keep checking, I want to pay by debit card once like I do any where els. I might not use e-bay again. I was brought up in the 30s and 40s where you could leave your door open for the milk man to pick is money up and fill your jug with milk when you were not in. so maybe you dont understand how all this modern stuff is difficult for a 78 year old. to grasp and be able to trust. I just want the freedom to be able to choose. but dont matter now Iv cancelled e-bay and am thinking of jacking in the internet its such a minefield these days.

I use ebay quite a bit.

I always use Paypal to buy and sell.

The reason is you get some protection by using Paypal (and ebay).

Ebay is like a magnet for the dishonest, bank draft, money tranfsfer, forged notes, western Union, and so on have all been used as a means of depriving someone of money or goods.

Want a spare part? Find an item containing it on ebay, (like a radio for the circuit board etc) remove the part you need and then send it back as "not working" and open a dispute.

I was recently offered a sale to Suadi Arabia, "send me your bank details and I will transfer the money"

Yep, the money was transferred BUT NOT CLEARED. He wanted me to pay a substantial sum by return as "commission" , the transfer never cleared and the bank account was closed the same day!

So, I stick with Paypal, unless it is collect for a few pounds only and then cash is OK.

99% of those who deal on ebay are honest and trustworthy I just think that ebay are not doing enough to weed out the others.

H

Guest 1footinthegrave
cerro - 2012-04-09 2:41 PM

Expert, the problem is I dont want to go on a monthly billing system where mistakes can be made over the next so many months where I have to keep checking, I want to pay by debit card once like I do any where els. I might not use e-bay again. I was brought up in the 30s and 40s where you could leave your door open for the milk man to pick is money up and fill your jug with milk when you were not in. so maybe you dont understand how all this modern stuff is difficult for a 78 year old. to grasp and be able to trust. I just want the freedom to be able to choose. but dont matter now Iv cancelled e-bay and am thinking of jacking in the internet its such a minefield these days.

I understand perfectly, and I'm hardly in the first flush of youth at 67, but my solution is simple, if I don't want to use a company / product / technology/ or simply don't understand it, I don't bother. Yes life was so simple, and no one more than me wishes it was still the same, sadly it is not.

I think you have misinterpreted why you have to have a paypal account.

To sell on ebay you must have a paypal account but you do not have to pay your ebay fees via paypal. My monthly ebay fees are several hundred pounds I pay by Tesco credit card so I get my Airmiles. When you register with ebay you have to give a Debit/Credit card number to them, in your account setting you set it up for them to take payment from this card. They also give you 30 days credit only billing you monthly.

Of course they like you to use Papal as it is owned/part of ebay, you just need to set up your account correctly, it can be a bit daunting at first like any system new to you but easy once you get the hang of it.

Your Motorhome being an expensive I would have thought you would be better using listing it as a classified add.

I suspect a whole lot of folk, if they were fortunate enough, would be able to embrace new technology if they were able to have some of it explained to them.

Of course there's help out there, Libraries are a good example of a source of guidance but quite often it can be on your own doorstep, a neighbour or younger relative.

An example. We have some older friends both late seventies. He was of the "not interested" set when ever technology came into the conversation, i.e. me showing him the Web on my phone.

They have Children & Grandchildren who it soon became obvious had never tried to show them any advances in technology. Perhaps they had their reasons, but...

Slowly but surely, I got him interested in digital pics, mobiles and the internet. All it took was someone to explain things at a pace he could follow and a language he could understand.

Martyn

Guest 1footinthegrave
LordThornber - 2012-04-09 3:34 PM

I suspect a whole lot of folk, if they were fortunate enough, would be able to embrace new technology if they were able to have some of it explained to them.

Of course there's help out there, Libraries are a good example of a source of guidance but quite often it can be on your own doorstep, a neighbour or younger relative.

An example. We have some older friends both late seventies. He was of the "not interested" set when ever technology came into the conversation, i.e. me showing him the Web on my phone.

They have Children & Grandchildren who it soon became obvious had never tried to show them any advances in technology. Perhaps they had their reasons, but...

Slowly but surely, I got him interested in digital pics, mobiles and the internet. All it took was someone to explain things at a pace he could follow and a language he could understand.

Martyn

Your quite right Martyn, but it is science fiction to some, or to my friend who to quote him "it's all B******s who always expresses the same view despite trying to show him the wonders of technology,it simply leaves him cold, one some days I have every sympathy with his view when "Windows has stopped responding " or some other irritation crops up, and I know my way round technology. One could argue we are enslaved to it now, it certainly has it's downsides as well as ups has the OP has found out, a small add in the local paper was a lot simpler in many ways ;-)

Whether we like it or not electronics are the future, and as long as you can afford to keep buying or renting the appropriate technology every few years, to keep up with new systems ( and attend courses at your local library to understand them ) shopping will not be a problem.

That is, of course, until there is a significant power cut, when the country will close down.

;-)

Archived