trailer in morocco

No I have never done it, but I just wanted to mention that a trailer with a bike on in Morocco will be a target for every urchin around, and there are a few!

I would expect the bike and trailer to disappear in very short time.

Locks and chains are nothing to them, they will use a bit of bent Cola can and have them off in seconds.

I had them hanging off the back of my Discovery at 30 mph whilst trying to force the rear door lock!

Oh! and unless the roads have improved somewhat you will need about 20 spare wheels and maybe the odd forks and frame!

H

hallii - 2012-04-12 3:10 PMNo I have never done it, but I just wanted to mention that a trailer with a bike on in Morocco will be a target for every urchin around, and there are a few!I would expect the bike and trailer to disappear in very short time. Locks and chains are nothing to them, they will use a bit of bent Cola can and have them off in seconds.I had them hanging off the back of my Discovery at 30 mph whilst trying to force the rear door lock!Oh! and unless the roads have improved somewhat you will need about 20 spare wheels and maybe the odd forks and frame!H
Well I don't agree with these comments. I spent time touring Morocco and felt very safe, we had bikes chained to our rear  bike rack and  no one tried to steal them, lots of offers to buy them however, I saw  vans with trailers  attached carrying bikes and cars and motor bikes so I can't see any problems, except the Green Card  nonsense, Morocco wants a piece of Green paper for Insurance purposes. when we booked our ferry for Morocco the price  was for  any length van with or with out a trailer, so there you go. 
I met a  couple in Spain a couple of years ago who had had their trailer stolen during the night and that was from their pitch on a camp site, so you are never 100% safe anywhere.Luckily  the  Female was able to drive their car around so the problem was not too huge, The owner stated that his trailer was only insured whilst it was attached to his vehicle and he had already told his Insurance it was detached  when stolen so I don't know how that panned out,  i only add this to make you aware, 

We spent about 3 weeks touring all the way down to the Algerian Border, well as close as we were allowed.

To be fair we didn't feel threatened in any way, but we were harrassed by the "street urchins" quite a bit.

We paid a local "guardian" a massive amount (about £1) to sleep by the side of out vehicle whilst we slept in hotels etc.

We had stones thrown at our vehicle and was diddled out of about £2 at a filling station.

Not major crimes I know, we were a bit out in the sticks at times so maybe that had something do do with it.

Climbing up the Atlas Mountains we were offered "Ganga" everytime we stopped. One enterprising lad hung down from a palm tree by his legs whilst waving a packet of something (ganga) about 6" from my windscreen!

So, different people with different experiences, is it not always so?

Tip: take lots of cheap sweets, the kids can be distracted by a small handful hurled from the window as far as you can throw them.

Diced carrots seem to work just as well, just make sure you have gone before they find them :-)

H

Guest pelmetman

My first motorhoming trip was driving a Sherpa based Highwayman around Morocco in the mid 70's ;-)..................It was an experience 8-)...............got stopped by a policeman who accused me of being on drugs........I was just unsure which turning I should take.................when he realised I wasn't he offered me some hashish 8-)

I had heard they weren't so bad now day's :-S......................but the constant hassleling to buy stuff just got on my t*t's............frankly it ruins the experience of being in a strange land *-)

Do not normally reply to posts but just had to answer this one never read so much tosh been to Morocco several times and never had any trouble and as for throwing sweets for the children I think it only encourages them to beg for sweets and when you throw bits of carrots out that why you get stones in return

Guest pelmetman
Mike B. - 2012-04-14 12:18 PM

vindiboy - 2012-04-13 8:52 PM

http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp23/malarth/MOROCCO%20TRIP%2009/?action=view¤t=a.jpg  A few pictures of our Morocco trip.

Great pics, fully enjoyed them. However, the Mrs didn't believe me when 'Naughty Nymphos in Leeds' site kept popping up without me searching!!!

It really did and I didn't-honest! :$

Mike

Yep great pic's :D.................how much warmer is Morocco compared to Southern Spain in Jan/Feb?

One disappointment though........................no naughty nymphos :-(

Archived