Globecar Trendscout -advice please

machinehead

Hi,

I've just discovered the Globecar Trendscout and i'm seriously considering buying a new one.

I'd like to hear from owners and anyone who has some experience or informed opinions on this model.

As background information, I own an Autosleeper Symbol 2002, which I've owned for 8 years. I've had 6 campervans in total since 1985 - all panel van conversions, so i'm not a newcomer or totally inexperienced. And my experience tells me to do my research well before parting with my hard earned cash.

We go to France/ Spain etc once a year and have lots of 2 to 4 day trips at home, even in winter.

I'm not interested at all in coachbuilt vans, only panel vans. If there are alternatives to the Globecar which are equally good, basic value campervans, then I'm all ears.

Many thanks.

I'm away until next week and won't have internet access so don't think I'm being rude if I don't reply for a few days.

All opinions and experience/advice would be most appreciated.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental

no duty etc...as we are in the EU? Just UK VAT at 20% which you pay when registering it. you can get an import pack from DVLA that explains all and has all the forms...

the above vans are UK spec so no headlight or speedo change required so a piece of cake...

JudgeMental - 2012-04-12 11:29 AM no duty etc...as we are in the EU? Just UK VAT at 20% which you pay when registering it. ...
So in the example above we have e26,000 + 20% + £31,200 so roughly a 1:1 £:e ratio.

I was looking at a Sonic on this site and at e66K (£55K) this was tempting and then add the vat = £66k.   

UK price £68780 incl 3.0 and chassis upgrade and Lux pack......

Have i missed something, like i should take the German VAT off first??

JudgeMental - 2012-04-12 9:34 AM

German dealer where we bought our Adria panel van last year still has some new RHD trendscouts left at 31500 euro that is about £25.600 before negotiation....

http://www.duemo-duelmen.de/

Why would you bother Eddie, SMC leisure do a new one for £32,000 before negotiations. When we had an interest last year we were offered a very good deal a fair bit below this.

The price Eddie is quoting should include German VAT, which I think is currently 21%. You'd need to discuss with the dealer how he treats the VAT on sale for export. Some will sell at the net price, leaving you to pay the UK 20% when you get it home. Others are nervous about getting caught by buyers who then don't pay VAT on import, leaving the dealer to pay the German VAT himself. As it's a dealer Eddie has used, his experience should give a guide as to how the dealer will react on this.

If you can get the VIN/chassis number from the dealer you may be able to pre-register the van, but this is not generally possible. A friend in the motor trade might help. Otherwise, until it is registered, you will be unable to get UK insurance. You will get temporary German export insurance that will get you home, but the cover is third party only. If unhappy with the new van on third party only until it is registered (not too bad if you can park it off road when at home), an alternative might be to import via a third party.

If this appeals, someone like Bundesvan may provide an alternative answer. They will negotiate a price with the dealer, pay in Euros, bring back the van to UK on their trade insurance and plates, register and tax it in UK (they will pre-register it so that you can pre-insure it), and deliver it to your door. Once the Euro price is agreed they will give you an option on when the Sterling price is fixed, and you pay around 10% deposit to seal the deal, balance by cheque when the van is delivered. For this you will probably pay a bit more than you might be able to get the dealer to agree to, but you avoid the hassle and expense of the return trip to collect the van, plus the insurance risk lies with them on their trade policy. The price you pay should still show a saving over normal UK prices - but if it doesn't, nothing is lost, you just don't take that route! "Google" Bundesvan for details and website, and give them a ring. Nick Legg is the man. He imported ours, and the service was excellent.

machinehead - 2012-04-11 11:39 PM

Hi,

I've just discovered the Globecar Trendscout and i'm seriously considering buying a new one.

I'd like to hear from owners and anyone who has some experience or informed opinions on this model.

As background information, I own an Autosleeper Symbol 2002, which I've owned for 8 years. I've had 6 campervans in total since 1985 - all panel van conversions, so i'm not a newcomer or totally inexperienced. And my experience tells me to do my research well before parting with my hard earned cash.

We go to France/ Spain etc once a year and have lots of 2 to 4 day trips at home, even in winter.

I'm not interested at all in coachbuilt vans, only panel vans. If there are alternatives to the Globecar which are equally good, basic value campervans, then I'm all ears.

Many thanks.

I'm away until next week and won't have internet access so don't think I'm being rude if I don't reply for a few days.

All opinions and experience/advice would be most appreciated.

I would have a very close look at this van before you buy. When we were thinking of changing to a panel van last year the spec looked good and it seemed to have a lot of things we required. A close look however changed our minds, I am not tall but managed to bang my head on the roof at the rear, the cooking facilities are a joke and even sitting on the toilet is near impossible.

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2012-04-12 3:20 PM

German dealer where we bought our Adria panel van last year still has some new RHD trendscouts left at 31500 euro that is about £25.600 before negotiation....

Why would you bother Eddie, SMC leisure do a new one for £32,000 before negotiations. When we had an interest last year we were offered a very good deal a fair bit below this.

because like Brian has explained the £25,600 is including VAT and I would expect price to be a good bit under the £25,000 by the time you get your discount, be silly not to compare with what UK dealer would offer obviously.But beauty of Dumo is he has a MASSIVE stock over 2 large sites so easy to find something that fits. plus he orders vans with most of the popular extras from factory..all we had to do was get second battery and awning from him.

EX Rate was 1.21 yesterday when I looked

5-7k is better in my pocket I think for an away day to Germany and a trip to DVLA on return 8-)

also relaxed about VAT and happy to wait for copy of UK receipt

We had a 08 Trendscout RD on a Ford base. The base vehicle was top spec with all the extras available, it drove like a dream and gave great MPG.

I suspect you are now looking at the Fiat base so I will restrict my opinions to just the habitation in likes and dislikes:

1 U shaped rear lounge sitting 6 people

2 The removable cushion over the fridge that allowed the space to be used as either work top or as a very long bed

3 Under floor storage of spare wheel and other kit accessed from the rear

4 Cupboard space exceeded expectations

5 Payload was excellent

6 Gas locker size

7 Superb support direct from the factory when we needed it (after Ford garage decapitated the van!)

Dislikes:

1 washroom was very small but I think the newer model has a lift-up basin so should be better

2 Exhaust outlet for the Truma was directly under an opening window.

3 Truma heating was a bit over the top in a small space

4 The large rooflight blinds were a bit delicate

We only changed because we wanted extra space to Winter in Spain.

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2012-04-12 4:29 PM

Thanks for the updates, all. Brings the Sonic down to £52k ish..........hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

what is a Sonic?

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2012-04-12 6:03 PM

Sorry, Eddie - it's Adria's A-class that replaced the Vision at the end of last year. i first saw it at the NEC last year.

http://www.lowdhams.com/new-motorhomes/adria/sonic/sonic-700sl 

If LHD you will have to factor in possible headlight change (if not adjustable for RHD dipping) and mph speedo change.(about £700 for a fiat)

JudgeMental - 2012-04-12 3:48 PM

rupert123 - 2012-04-12 3:20 PM

because like Brian has explained the £25,600 is including VAT and I would expect price to be a good bit under the £25,000 by the time you get your discount, be silly not to compare with what UK dealer would offer obviously.But beauty of Dumo is he has a MASSIVE stock over 2 large sites so easy to find something that fits. plus he orders vans with most of the popular extras from factory..all we had to do was get second battery and awning from him.

EX Rate was 1.21 yesterday when I looked

5-7k is better in my pocket I think for an away day to Germany and a trip to DVLA on return 8-)

also relaxed about VAT and happy to wait for copy of UK receipt

OK Eddie I thought your price was ex vat. Even so on the van we are talking about if you could buy for £25,000 by the time you have added say £2500 on to get it on the road in the UK this is only a saving of around £1500. Personally I could not be bothered, especially when you take into account the extra depreciation an import will carry. Might still be worth a look on a more expensive van I guess but needs a very close look before you went ahead. I simply cannot see Brians suggestion working these days when you factor in the agents fee.

rupert123 - 2012-04-13 3:17 PM........................... I simply cannot see Brians suggestion working these days when you factor in the agents fee.

It might Henry, it might not. It will depend on stock levels, dealers desire for business, exchange rate, and how much the agent decides to charge for his part. All variables. I'm not sure where you get your £2,500 of import costs from, but using that as a basis for decision seems to me a bit unwise. Buying in UK will inevitably be easier, but still seems liable to prove more expensive. How much more, and whether any saving is sufficient to persuade an individual to import, only the individual can evaluate. However, it still seems to me at least worth finding out, because then one knows whether one might have saved quite a few desirable extras worth of cash in the process. On the other hand, if it doesn't work out, nothing is lost, and you won't end up kicking yourself.

Brian Kirby - 2012-04-13 8:12 PM

rupert123 - 2012-04-13 3:17 PM........................... I simply cannot see Brians suggestion working these days when you factor in the agents fee.

It might Henry, it might not. It will depend on stock levels, dealers desire for business, exchange rate, and how much the agent decides to charge for his part. All variables. I'm not sure where you get your £2,500 of import costs from, but using that as a basis for decision seems to me a bit unwise. Buying in UK will inevitably be easier, but still seems liable to prove more expensive. How much more, and whether any saving is sufficient to persuade an individual to import, only the individual can evaluate. However, it still seems to me at least worth finding out, because then one knows whether one might have saved quite a few desirable extras worth of cash in the process. On the other hand, if it doesn't work out, nothing is lost, and you won't end up kicking yourself.

I did say it was worth a look Brian. I agree if you do all the figures and the savings are worth while go ahead but I have looked over the last year and cannot make it work. I have seen all the savings quoted on here but have never seen a complete breakdown on how they were arrived at. A few years ago yes but times change and savings need to be a lot to make sense. Any vehicle that comes in from europe will be listed as such on the documents and neither dealers or the general public like this, if it is LHD even worse. OK if you change back in europe but you will take a hit if you wish to sell in the UK.

rupert123 - 2012-04-13 9:34 PM................................... OK if you change back in europe but you will take a hit if you wish to sell in the UK.

But only if you compare with a van bought at the full UK price. If you bought abroad at lower cost, where is the loss if you sell in UK at lower then UK value? You lose, to one degree or another, on both. I agree that the relativities are unpredictable from one month to the next but, IMO, it would be unrealistic to expect to get the full value for a RHD UK spec van, on a LHD "Euro spec" van of similar make/model. The real point, surely, is that you either save the initial cost difference, which then has value in itself (e.g. you might invest, or save, the money so benefit in that way), or you get more van for the same money.

It suits us, because we don't like the generality of UK spec vans that major on (to us) useless ovens and large lounge areas, whereas all we need and want is a half decent fridge, a min three burner hob, and a comfortable, permanent, bed. It's just one of the many ways of skinning the proverbial cat.

Guest JudgeMental

Rupert I agree and dont see using an agent in anyway necesary and why give them the savings you can save yourself :-S

I think you are getting carried away with the costs though! one way flight to Germany £50-100.tank of fuel £70, one way ferry crossing £45. new headlights £600 (if required) MPH speedo £110. I make that under £1000, just need to add registration and road tax

I could get flight and be back the day after..We had 5 days getting back visiting Brugge etc. German dealers have economy's of scale that would make UK dealers weep. They gave me the price I had mine advertised for in UK in a PX, so no hassle and just a 4 hour drive from Calais, dealer in lovely area as well

Now that my wife has fallen in love with Spain (after I had to physically had to drag her down here*-)) I am kinda regreatting the downsize as weintend to spend as much of the winter here as possible in the future,So.... may well be trading back up again! 8-)

Its just the weather! you feel so much better and more active, within a week my hip and knee pain has virtually disappeared...Plus the food is wonderfully fresh and cheap

The more you spend the greater the savings, I cant drive an A class because of my diabetes, and dont fancy something that big anyway... but the Adria Sonic mentioned in this thread looked a real bargain at 52K (what was it 68K here!)

Eddie. As you are in Benidorm - I'm a regular at Villasol - there is a local British owned storage area where the owner also sells good second hand caravans cheaply. Many people store their caravans and get the owner to tow your caravan from the storage area to the site. I think the cost is around £30 each tow and storage about £1 per day. That would enable you to park your existing motorhome and caravan on your pitch and give you the extra internal space you require. That is a lot cheaper than changing your motorhome.

I hate to see a panel van man leaving the fold so give it some thought. I'm researching this prospect more fully on my next Benidorm trip in September.

JudgeMental - 2012-04-14 2:09 PM

Rupert I agree and dont see using an agent in anyway necesary and why give them the savings you can save yourself :-S

I think you are getting carried away with the costs though! one way flight to Germany £50-100.tank of fuel £70, one way ferry crossing £45. new headlights £600 (if required) MPH speedo £110. I make that under £1000, just need to add registration and road tax

I could get flight and be back the day after..We had 5 days getting back visiting Brugge etc. German dealers have economy's of scale that would make UK dealers weep. They gave me the price I had mine advertised for in UK in a PX, so no hassle and just a 4 hour drive from Calais, dealer in lovely area as well

Now that my wife has fallen in love with Spain (after I had to physically had to drag her down here*-)) I am kinda regreatting the downsize as weintend to spend as much of the winter here as possible in the future,So.... may well be trading back up again! 8-)

Its just the weather! you feel so much better and more active, within a week my hip and knee pain has virtually disappeared...Plus the food is wonderfully fresh and cheap

The more you spend the greater the savings, I cant drive an A class because of my diabetes, and dont fancy something that big anyway... but the Adria Sonic mentioned in this thread looked a real bargain at 52K (what was it 68K here!)

Spain sounds good Eddie, nice it is doing you good as well. How do you get on with the diabetes, do you take medical supplies with you? My wife and I really fancied a panel van but have been putting it off for six months now, still not sure. We carry a small 125cc scooter and have looked at doing this with a PVC, although it can be done a little more complicated. After one trip without it last year we will never leave it at home again.

Guest JudgeMental
Mike88 - 2012-04-14 3:01 PM

Eddie. As you are in Benidorm - I'm a regular at Villasol - there is a local British owned storage area where the owner also sells good second hand caravans cheaply. Many people store their caravans and get the owner to tow your caravan from the storage area to the site. I think the cost is around £30 each tow and storage about £1 per day. That would enable you to park your existing motorhome and caravan on your pitch and give you the extra internal space you require. That is a lot cheaper than changing your motorhome.

I hate to see a panel van man leaving the fold so give it some thought. I'm researching this prospect more fully on my next Benidorm trip in September.

Thanks Mike! I think we will stay with panel van but longer model..all we need is a decent sized stand alone awning, and that would be good enough for us in the short term. We are going to India for Christmas, plan then to come out here in February until May. If that goes well we will decide what to do for the next year.

Can anyone recommend a stand alone awning? :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Mike88 - 2012-04-14 3:01 PM

Thanks Mike! I think we will stay with panel van but longer model..all we need is a decent sized stand alone awning, and that would be good enough for us in the short term. We are going to India for Christmas, plan then to come out here in February until May. If that goes well we will decide what to do for the next year.

Can anyone recommend a stand alone awning? :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Sorry Rupert missed your post, Yes I just take enough insulin in the fridge...My GP will give 3 months supply if I want. if you can fit a bike + rack on a CB surely its easier on a panel van?

24 deg in the shade today, a few showers but still sitting here in swimming shorts and sandals (Mel control yourself! :D)

Syd has arrived...he has been coming for years. :-D

EDIT: I am struggling on our travel laptop and reflected sunlight making screen difficult to see, so spellin and punctuation police please leave me alone...I'm on holidaz!

Archived