Front Xmember

lunartraveller1

On the front of my 1999 Ducato behind the front bumper there is a cross member held on by three large bolts at each end. Does anyone know what is does as having a quick look I can't see that it supports anything. Mine looks a bit scabby and whist I may be able to fettle it up I would like to price a new one but cannot find any results when searching "front Xmember". Can I just onbolt it at each end?

From memory, it supports the radiator, and will be an MoT fail if the corrosion is extensive. I also seem to remember they were quite cheap from dealers.

The same part should be common to Fiat, Peugeot and Citroen vans, so it may pay to see who is charging the least.

It may be that this member varies with engine type/size, though I would have expected it to be a universal fit item.

Yes, again from memory, it simply unbolts and the new one bolts back in. You may need to support the rad while doing this.

Spot on above I would say. The radiator should hang ok from its top mounting bolts. They are not expensive and I read somewhere, on these threads I think, someone was replacing and drilled an extra couple of drain holes as water would collect otherwise. There will also probably be a wiring harness running along the member and easy enough to unclip it..

Yes it is an easy job to do, it locates the bottom of the radiator in plastic/ rubber inserts but does not actually hold the rad which is held by the bolts at the top it also holds holds the wiring harness to the radiator fans and controls.

The corrosion of this part was very common (and a known problem) on earlier Sevel motorhomes as the plastic 'scuttle' above the engine compartment is drained through the heater intake on the nearside of the van and if the van is parked out of level to the offside rain water floods the battery area, which in turn (particularly if the drain tube below the battery has come off) floods the area above and below the crossmember with now corrosive water having picked up the acid deposits from the battery tray.

It is however not a structural part and is not an MOT failure item, though you may be advised as an advisory, I know this to be correct as ours was in half at one MOT time and that was the advice given.

Bas

Archived