Down to the Gers soon, trying France Passion

Tea Cup

We are off down to SW France in a few days to see the grand children, a bit earlier than usual. We have never stayed on a France Passion site, but having joined we would like to take the opportunity for at least one stop on the way down. Not sure which route to take, N10 Bordeaux or N20 (Limoges, Bergerac), but there seems to be very few options on the N20 withing 6 hours or so of Le Havre. Any recommendations or suggestions would be welcomed. Or aires, I suppose, but we would like to try the farm experience, although there'll be plenty of time in the weeks following our stay with the kids.

I noted the recent south of Chartres aires recommendation, but need to go a little further down for the fist night. Although I keep promising to see the cathedral again, but not too keen on return to the municipal site at Chartres.

hi we have used France Passion many times with limited success,biggest problem we have always had is finding some of the rural sites,the French dont seem to understand my strong west couyntry french!only postcodes are shown,which seems to cover a 5 mile range.if only they would show GPS locations it would be much easier.sites vary from fantastic,lovely people in fabulous places,wonderfull hospitality,good food/wine etc. TO horrible dirty scruffy cramped sites with not so nice people,but its all great fun Dave

I've always tended to go for distance, not necessarily planning a precise route but aiming for a general location and getting there no matter what.

But it seems to me that the FP approach is more about experiencing the countryside, ambience and the locals, not speeding through it all. I don't think it'll come naturally to me, I always want to be somewhere else, but this is the intriguing thing thing about it.

And I guess finding obscure locations must be part of the fun. That's the theory. Practice, I don't know. The 14-day forecast is looking good for the SW, so I guess we'll be off in a few days, when I've finished the mods to the van.

I'm not sure I'd describe being in the back of the French beyond at the end of a long drive and unable to find the France Passion site you are looking for as "part of the fun", and the inability to locate an FP site has certainly led to the occasional spat between driver and navigator in our motorhome's cab!

I did suggest, when FP sent me a questionnaire, that adding GPS details for each site might be helpful, but I'm doubtful this will happen as I suspect FP site owners may want to protect their privacy.

Whichever FP site you decide to go to, do make sure that you've first noted any restrictions relating to that site - like closure dates or no arrival after a certain time.

That looks good, as does the website, I've not come across that website b4. The FP site is definitely on route, so it's good info, ta!

We often find ourselves stopping at a lay-by nearby, coincidentally. We're not in love with the lay-by, it just seems to appear at the right time!

We found a stunning aire at Fources in Gers just west of Condom. It was brand new and I think we were the first on it. Some locals came in the morning to see what we thought if it and if we needed any information about the area. Free as well. Lovely village

Barryd999 - 2012-04-24 3:55 PM

We found a stunning aire at Fources in Gers just west of Condom. It was brand new and I think we were the first on it. Some locals came in the morning to see what we thought if it and if we needed any information about the area. Free as well. Lovely village

More details here:

http://www.i-campingcar.fr/aires.php?ville=FOURCES

Yes thats the one Derek.

I think its daft that FP dont publish GPS co-ordinates. Their site quotes the following

"Publishing the GPS coordinates for each site could allow anyone to access the private properties where you are a privileged guest:

- non-member motorhomes occupying the sites reserved for members only.

- non motorhome owners (campers, caravans etc.)We believe the best way to guarantee both you and your host’s tranquillity is not to publish this information."

Well that doesnt make sense to me as presumably they publish the actual addresses to members and not online to the general public so why not the GPS. Why would giving members the GPS POI suddenly allow non members to turn up? I cant see how its going to enfringe on privacy as again the addresses are given anyway and CL owners all have GPS co-ordinates published and anyway dont you have to display a sticker?

I think the real reason is they cant be arsed to do it. It would take some effort from the France PAssion people and the farmers. Even the Caravan Club CL Co-ordinates are wrong. The CC have just taken them from the postcodes which often in rural areas are up to a mile out. Nobody has sat at the end of the drive with a GPS and logged the proper co-ordinates.

Providing GPS coordinates for France Passion sites would certainly take effort.

I don't know what FP's business structure is like, but I doubt it involves more than a handful of people. It would definitely not be practicable for them to record coordinates themselves for the 1700 or so FP sites spread all across staff. So, if coordinates were to be provided for each site, the data would need to come from the site owners and they may not want to (or be in a position to) do this: not everybody has a sat-nav!

Personally, having been a member of the FP scheme for more than 10 years, I've some sympathy for the reasons given for not publishing FP-site coordinates as I can appreciate how provision of coordinates could lead to exactly the types of abuse of the scheme referred to.

I dont know Derek, I think they are missing out. I have seen loads of posts in praise of France Passion but equally I have seen as many saying they are impossible to find. I wonder how many are put off or dont rejoin because of this. If the real reason is logistics for not publishing the GPS points then they should say so rather than pretend its not in the best interest. As I said you have to have a sticker anyway just as with the CC you have to have a members card to use a CL.

I agree though, getting 1700 FP owners to stand outside with a sat nav and record and relay the GPS settings is a bit of a tall order.

Retread24800 - 2012-04-25 11:47 AM

Many members of France Passion are also registered with Bienvenu a la Ferme a reseau of Farmers and producteurs who allow camping and or camping cars on their properties. a resource I havnt seen on this site before but well worth investigating, (esp because they give GPS coordinates and are searchable on line)!

This is more like it although the site is all over the place, you can search by map. Perfect. Not as many as FP but some are clearly geared up as little Aire/sites and make a small charge which I would prefer than having people knocking on my door selling stuff I dont want. Love the idea of staying on farms or away from it all but dont want to stay for free and neither do I want to feel obliged to buy stuff. The GPS co-ordinates make it more appealing assuming they are correct! I looked at the sat images of a few and only on one did I see a couple of vans half a mile away from the GPS point! I presume this scheme is open to anyone and not a membership?

There are far more commercial i.e. payante sites if you click against camping and not against Campingcar! prices are in line with Aires about E7 pn incl EHU and can also offer such facilities as a piscine (Swimming pool) lave linge (Washing machine) etc. But i suspect that even on a small on farm camp site you will be offered produit regional et artisanaux :-)

Barryd999 - 2012-04-25 11:43 AM

I dont know Derek, I think they are missing out. I have seen loads of posts in praise of France Passion but equally I have seen as many saying they are impossible to find. I wonder how many are put off or dont rejoin because of this. If the real reason is logistics for not publishing the GPS points then they should say so rather than pretend its not in the best interest. As I said you have to have a sticker anyway just as with the CC you have to have a members card to use a CL.

I agree though, getting 1700 FP owners to stand outside with a sat nav and record and relay the GPS settings is a bit of a tall order.

I've never failed to find a France Passion site, though I've certainly had plenty of difficulty locating some of them.

I assume you've never been an FP member and, consequently, are not aware of the format of the FP guidebook. This includes regional maps of France, with each FP-site's nearest town shown as a coloured 'dot' on the map. Each map cross-refers to the relevant 'departement' text-sections in the guidebook, where each FP site in that departement is listed by its town-name together with a French post-code. Other details include the name(s) of the 'host(s)', the name of the 'property', the year the property first entered the FP scheme, how many motorhomes can be accommodated, etc. etc. Directions are provided, but they are necessarily brief and often rely on the visitor having a large-scale up-to-date road map and knpwing how to read it. For example, the directions to locate the FP site "La Brasserie du Plateau" at Croze say "Do not go to Croze. D982 at La Grattade, la Gare on right." The multi-lingual version of the guidebook (where the directions to an FP site are provided in English and German as well as French) comprises 470 pages for 2012.

There's been a fair amount of earlier France Passion-related forum discussion. These are just a couple of links:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18478&posts=27

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18972&posts=28

I don't believe that the reasons France Passion gives for not providing GPS coordinates are a pretence. As an FP member I'd find GPS coordinates useful but, if not providing GPS coordinates reduces the likelihood of non-FP members exploiting the FP scheme, I'm more than happy that they are never included in the guidebook.

Let's say GPS coordinates were provided by France Passion next year in their guidebook. Within no time at all someone would have knocked up a POI list and offered it around. Next thing you'd know is that non-FP members would be turning up at FP sites on days when the guidebook indicates sites are unavailable, or occupying parking places that FP members have, effectively, paid a subscription to use.

As a long-term (and current) member of the FP scheme, if I could be reasonably confident that only FP members with a valid subscription had the use of FP sites, then I'd have no qualms over GPS coordinates being made available - but I'm not.

My experience is that FP site owners rarely check for valid membership (it's only happened once to me in 10 years), which has allowed motorcaravanners with no valid FP membership to exploit the scheme to their advantage. I notice that, for the 2012 membership year, not only is a 2012 windscreen-sticker provided, but also a 2012 membership-card. If this means that use of FP parking facilities is to be more closely monitored by FP-site owners, then I'm all for it.

My own feelings about all the clubs that offer 'free' overnight parking and I include FP and Motor home stop over in this is that the actual owners of the location couldn't give a t**s whether you are a member or not, their raison d'etre is to provide themselves with increased business opportunities from campers, the inability to provide/disclose location by means of GPS coordinates is exactly as stated earlier, the only income FP etc. receive is by selling guides and 'annual' membership. France Passion even went as far as having a POI file of their sites banned from distribution............

So basically its for France Passions interests and not the users that they dont publish the GPS. Up to them I suppose. I suspect the farmers would be glad of it being produced as they dont care who uses their sites. Im sure a few have found their way onto the campingcarinfos website.

Presumably then these sites can advertise locally and if you find them or they wind up on the website mentioned above whats to stop you going on them without being a member? For all I know then I could have been on one. I have stayed on one or two farms but have no idea if they were FP sites but got the info of campincarinfos.com.

QUOTE:french!only postcodes are shown,which seems to cover a 5 mile range.if only they would show GPS locations it would be much easier.sites vary from fantastic,lovely people in fabulous places,

GPS possitions would be useless to those that use todays tom tom GPS as coordinates cant be put in :'(

Barryd999 - 2012-04-24 4:55 PM

:-S But you dont say where,nor give a GPS possition for those that use Garmin :-D

8-) Perhaps you use a tom tom *-) But then it will display the possition once you find your destination :-D

Where exactly *-) Is this new aire? B-)

plumbersvan - 2012-04-25 4:06 PM

:-S But you dont say where,nor give a GPS possition for those that use Garmin :-D

8-) Perhaps you use a tom tom *-) But then it will display the possition once you find your destination :-D

Well you could google Fources in Gers or put it into your sat nav and you would soon find the Aire but Derek did a link to it earlier in the thread.

I cant beleive TomTom on SOME of their sat navs have dropped GPS co-ordinates. They are flipping crucial. Well they are to me. Our TomTom is 100 years old and this feature! On all the forums and when your sharing information on places to stay or special spots what is the first thing you ask? Whats the co-ordinates!

Retread24800 - 2012-04-25 3:24 PMMy own feelings about all the clubs that offer 'free' overnight parking and I include FP and Motor home stop over in this is that the actual owners of the location couldn't give a t**s whether you are a member or not, their raison d'etre is to provide themselves with increased business opportunities from campers, the inability to provide/disclose location by means of GPS coordinates is exactly as stated earlier, the only income FP etc. receive is by selling guides and 'annual' membership. France Passion even went as far as having a POI file of their sites banned from distribution............

When you say "the only income FP etc. receive is by selling guides and 'annual' membership", do you know this to be true, or are you just making an assumption? I've never explored with FP-site owners whether they pay an annual fee for their site to be included in the scheme, but I've always assumed that they do.Barry earlier gave an extract from the France Passion website that relates to GPS coordinates not being provided, but it may be worth quoting the full version. 5. Do you provide GPS coordinates for the stopover sites ? No. Firstly because many of our properties are set deep in the countryside, and experience shows that Sat Nav systems frequently send vehicles along routes inappropriate or impassable for motorhomes (farm or forest tracks etc.).Our invitations are updated every year, outdated versions circulate without any sort of control. For example, this year 150 hosts have left the network and, each for their own reasons no longer wish to welcome motorhomes to their properties, (retirement, death, tired of motorhomes etc.). Conversely 250 new hosts have joined us in 2011.The contract we sign with the farmers and winegrowers stipulates that we will only disclose their addresses to up to date France Passion members. Only paid up members of the France Passion network can use the stopover sites.Publishing the GPS coordinates for each site could allow anyone to access the private properties where you are a privileged guest:- non-member motorhomes occupying the sites reserved for members only.- non motorhome owners (campers, caravans etc.)We believe the best way to guarantee both you and your host's tranquillity is not to publish this information.Please note that postcodes and road numbers are mentioned in the directions to each site, and these can be entered into a Sat Nav system to bring you close to your destination. France Passion signs guide you the last few metres from an easily recognisable waypoint such as a village centre or crossroads.

Barryd999 - 2012-04-25 4:13 PM

plumbersvan - 2012-04-25 4:06 PM

Well you could google Fources in Gers or put it into your sat nav and you would soon find the Aire but Derek did a link to it earlier in the thread.

I cant beleive TomTom on SOME of their sat navs have dropped GPS co-ordinates. They are flipping crucial. Well they are to me. Our TomTom is 100 years old and this feature! On all the forums and when your sharing information on places to stay or special spots what is the first thing you ask? Whats the co-ordinates!

It appears that the less expensive TomTom sat-nav devices that have the "Easy Menu" feature lack the ability to use GPS coordinates. Unfortunately Fiona bought one of these in France (apparently there is nothing on the packaging to warn that GPS coordinates can't be used) and has lost no opportunity to complain about it since. It's certainly worth knowing that the feature is missing from some TomTom models, but it's not true that it's missing from them all. See

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-XL-XXL-HOME/Tomtom-XL-GPS-cannot-take-GPS-coordinates/td-p/32029

Derek Uzzell - 2012-04-25 5:20 PM When you say "the only income FP etc. receive is by selling guides and 'annual' membership", do you know this to be true, or are you just making an assumption? I've never explored with FP-site owners whether they pay an annual fee for their site to be included in the scheme, but I've always assumed that they do.

And I assume that IF they pay a fee for their inclusion it is in the expectation of increased business

The contract we sign with the farmers and winegrowers stipulates that we will only disclose their addresses to up to date France Passion members.

But is the stipulation placed by the site owner or by FP?

Only paid up members of the France Passion network can use the stopover sites

Well this is untrue because a lot of these locations are also listed in Bienvenu à la Ferme and www.vignerons-independant.com

Publishing the GPS coordinates for each site could allow anyone to access the private properties where you are a privileged guest:- non-member motorhomes occupying the sites reserved for members only.- non motorhome owners (campers, caravans etc.)We believe the best way to guarantee both you and your host's tranquillity is not to publish this information.Please note that postcodes and road numbers are mentioned in the directions to each site, and these can be entered into a Sat Nav system to bring you close to your destination. France Passion signs guide you the last few metres from an easily recognisable waypoint such as a village centre or crossroads.

I tend to find an overnight stop over by entering my proposed location into the GPS Using the 'near to' facility, and then searching for Aires/Campings that are close to that location, simple to do with my Garmin, I can then click on my choice and go straight there. Saves hours of faffing about with maps, guides, missing and out of date direction arrows :-) which is why I would welcome a poi set for France Passion.

Archived