Newbie - for starters - where can I "park" overnight

Ken P

Water / waste is not, in reality, a problem but if it were ever to prove difficult then for a couple of pounds most formal campsites will let you do a 'pit-stop'. 

I've had to do it twice, once in Suffolk, once in Scotland. 

The same applies throughout the world, we just manage, it isn't that hard. The sources for water and places to responsibly dispose of waste of all types are numerous and diverse.

The hardest place I ever struggled for water was, ironically, on the tourist mecca of Majorca, but a handful of euros saw a tapas bar manager happily letting us pipe straight from his domestic supply.

Necessity begets creativity.

Don't get me wrong either, I'm not having a pop at anyone who doesn't wildcamp and neither do I seek to defend those who wildcamp without regard to residents or the wider environment.

1307314949_WaterinHungary(Custom).JPG.4c3968fa2c3ccee9db3289503e40b084.JPG

Guest 1footinthegrave
crinklystarfish - 2012-04-16 10:01 AMWater / waste is not, in reality, a problem but if it were ever to prove difficult then for a couple of pounds most formal campsites will let you do a 'pit-stop'. 

I've had to do it twice, once in Suffolk, once in Scotland. 

The same applies throughout the world, we just manage, it isn't that hard. The sources for water and places to responsibly dispose of waste of all types are numerous and diverse.

The hardest place I ever struggled for water was, ironically on the tourist mecca of Majorca, but a handful of euros saw a tapas bar manager happily letting us pipe straight from his domestic supply.

Necessity begets creativity.

Don't get me wrong either, I'm not having a pop at anyone who doesn't wildcamp and neither do I seek to defend those who wildcamp without regard to residents or the wider environment.
Blimey, you must have been bustin to go you've almost filled the container, but I'd pop behind some bushes next time :D :D

There's already been a view expressed by Maggy which may (will more like), inflame some, the roughing it comment. Personally I agree with her 100% but each to their own applies as ever.

There are so many ways to camp. You'll find what suits you by just doing it. I know for a fact that if I'd rammed the lay bys and pub car parks route down my Missus's throat at the start - then the van would have been for sale in an instant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gave this advise looking from a women's point of view :-) and as a newcomer you also might be put off ! I am not saying that they might be a time when if you can find a suitable stop say, coming or going late at night from somewhere, it is very convenient knowing you have your bed with you , but if my O.H had bough our Van to wild camp :-S I would very soon have told him to Go on his own.!!

1footinthegrave - 2012-04-16 9:31 AM

Perhaps the advocates of "wild camping" could of instead of saying their are plenty of places to do it, could they help the bloke out by saying how and where from exactly they get 120 Litres of fresh water on a regular basis, empty their grey water, and their bog. As far as I'm aware the ONLY place on a car park this is available is Canterbury park and ride, or are there a service points dotted around Thetford forest and other fabulous wild camping spots, do tell please, I'm not ideologically opposed to the idea, but need some help, as no doubt the OP does..

Its dead easy!!

Public toilets, especially rural ones often have an outside tap as do garages and churches. I see nothing wrong with emptying a thetford in a public loo as long as your careful and clean up any splashes. Mrs D can spot an outside tap at 200 yards while doing 60 mph in the van! Its all part for the fun (honest!). Anyway as I said earlier your never far from a CL for the odd night if you really cant find somewhere to fill and empty. Generally we can go 4 days without doing either. As Crinkly says "Necessity begets creativity." As for Grey water just empty it on a grass verge or bucket and chuck it in a hedge (preferably not where people are likely to sit or sunbathe)

I think you need to keep an open mind and just go with whatever the area your in is suited to. There are members on wildcamping.co.uk that can pretty much sleep and park anywhere. they are a die hard breed and are not fussed how pretty the view is or how quiet it is. Im the opposite. Its all about the experience for us. Nice view, open space, quiet and away from it all. It can be done, just takes a little effort. I must admit though most of our wilding takes place in Scotland or Northern England. We just returned from three and a half weeks on the East Yorks coast. The particular place we were at simply isnt wild camping friendly so we stayed on a CL that we love for the entire duration and only had neighbours over Easter weekend. Think it cost us £130 for 24 nights.

If I were the OP I would visit all the motorhome forums to gain different opinions and just try everything out. Try wilding, CL / CS sites, commercial sites and Caravan and Camping / Caravan Club sites and see what you like the best. The good thing is we are all different but this doesnt stop us (me included) trying to convince the rest of us that our way is best!! :-D

Hi again all.

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

We have joined CCC.

We live N Worcs/West Mids.

We don't intend to set out to park overnight on "roadsides/lay-byes/car parks ....." until we are fully versed in the practicalities of using regular sites - though wild camping does appeal to me (less so to she who must be obeyed).

My question was asked in case we found ourself in "difficulties" and had to park off site for some reason.

Anyway we going to try a simple weekend trip soon and hopefully France in the Summer.

Again my thanks to everyone and I am so grateful for the info given in this forum.

Ken

Archived