What is Green diesel??It costs a lot less than normal

plumbersvan

:-S Today i saw "Green diesel"which was a good 10 cents less than normal 8-)

The station selling it is part of a huge chain therefore i doubt it could be old chip oil *-) Could it 8-)

Do you need a special engine to use it?Or simply a normal diesel engine which uses normal diesel?

Guest Tracker

'Green' diesel isn't green in colour - but it does contain a higher than usual percentage of bio diesel which does not suit all engines and can damage the rubber seals in older systems not designed to use it.

Personally for the relatively small savings to made - when compared to the potential for inconvenience and repair costs - I would avoid it like the plague!

On the other hand it might work perfectly and save you money - you pays yer money and takes yer chance!

No doubt others will have other points of view?

plumbersvan - 2012-04-20 5:37 PM

:-S Today i saw "Green diesel"which was a good 10 cents less than normal 8-)

The station selling it is part of a huge chain therefore i doubt it could be old chip oil *-) Could it 8-)

Do you need a special engine to use it?Or simply a normal diesel engine which uses normal diesel?

I'm guessing that you are referring to this stuff

http://www.diester.fr/vous-avez-des-questions

Safe use of biodiesel-content fuel depends on a motor's design. For example, my 2005 Hobby's Ford Transit handbook advises that diesel fuels that contain a mix of up to 5% RME (bio diesel) are acceptable. Conversely, the handbook warns (on its back cover) "Do not use RME (bio diesel)"

(?) *-) *-) Yes 8-)

Bio diesel is 1.31 euros per liter while diesel is 1.47 euro cents this weekend morning 15 cent difference 8-)

I still have an almost full tank :-D but when i fill up i think ill stay with the non bio product *-) As far as i can see the only difference in the wording is the "bio"in front of the diesel :-(

Its POURING and i dont have a jacket or umbrella with me :'( 8-)

Derek Uzzell - 2012-04-20 6:39 PM

Safe use of biodiesel-content fuel depends on a motor's design. For example, my 2005 Hobby's Ford Transit handbook advises that diesel fuels that contain a mix of up to 5% RME (bio diesel) are acceptable. Conversely, the handbook warns (on its back cover) "Do not use RME (bio diesel)"

Does that mean you must not use standard diesel in Fords? I thought standard diesel now has 7% bio :D

lennyhb - 2012-04-21 1:40 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2012-04-20 6:39 PM

Does that mean you must not use standard diesel in Fords? I thought standard diesel now has 7% bio :D

My understanding is that, from 1st April 2010, fuel suppliers were obliged to use at least 3.5% biofuel in diesel production. In accordance with European legislation (Directive 2003/30/EC) the biofuel content in forecourt fuel will gradually increase over the next few years to meet the objective to reduce the lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions produced by road transport. Filling station forecourts supply diesel (to the standard BS EN590), which can now contain up to 7% biodiesel with at least 93% Fossil fuel.

As the biofuel component of diesel increases (I believe diesel in Germany has up to 10% biofuel), this will plainly raise questions regarding earlier warnings from vehicle manufacturers (like Ford) that only diesel containing no (or a very limited percentage of) biofuel should be used in motors like my 2005 Transit's. However, when there is no diesel available with 5% or lower biofuel in it, then (as far as my Transit is concerned) complying with Ford's instructions becomes academic. As Marie Antounette might have said "If there's no 5% biofuel diesel bread, you'll have to eat 10% biofuel diesel cake."

(There's plenty of discussion about this conundrum on car-related forums.)

Archived