Travelling Alone by Motorhome - Abroad

JohnP

Since the sixties I have travelled though Western Europe with family and or friends with either tent, caravan and for the past nine years in a motorhome. For the last few years I have run rallies in France.

This year however I am having to travel and holiday alone.

I am a bit apprehensive about this. Have any of you done this (I think Patricia may but I could be wrong) and what advice would you give for someone in this situation.

I am not looking for company, only advice.

Guest JudgeMental

I am down in Spain on my own at the moment.....I'm retired and wife younger and still working. wife travelled down with me over Easter then flew back last weekend. I find it fine, what would i be doing at home..sitting in front of log burner out of rain and cold. Down here weather glorious costs cheap, life far more active and I speak to ten times more people then I do at home. Was supposed to be going home in a few weeks but i am going to stay on at least a few weeks more or until money runs out! :-D

I think like most things the perception and concerns you imagine will disappear once you get going........I worried my self sick about being on my own but it seems so funny in retrospect. I will be out here next year for at least 3 months all being well! :-D

Done lots of solo travelling, usually self-contained push bike tours, but also in motorhomes.

As you've travelled western Europe there is nothing to fear from the actual interactions and day-to-day routines.

But, and I underestimated this at first, sometimes, unexpectedly, you can be swept by melancholy and irrational dread. The best way to deal is to know it can happen and if / when it does at least be secure in the knowledge that you are out there living your life and tasting things that most other westerners will never know. Especially most of the ones that have the 'one life - live it' sticker in the back of their car.

Revel in it.

It also helps to have familiar things with you. Music, books, DVDs etc. A smart phone is a good ally too.

Guest JudgeMental

Blimey.....If that dont put John of :D

communications important I guess and a good point. I am in constant comms with my family via Blackberry phone. So have BB messaging, email and internet browsing for £15 a month while roaming. I don't think I would be that happy without this link.....Also have ton of books, DVDs, box sets etc.....

Another factor is the weather, if no better then home its not really going to improve your disposition or apprehension.

Guest Peter James
I have wild camped abroad, alone, with no problems. The only thing I disliked was not feeling free to chat to strangers when I was with my van. I tended to view them all with suspicion :-( because I would have been telling them I was vulnerable to theft. I guess that is safer when parked on a proper site, so you can feel more relaxed and willing to chat, But then I prefer the freedom to roam.

JudgeMental - 2012-04-21 10:28 AMBlimey.....If that dont put John off.

Didn't mean to dissuade because it's a superb experience and I keep doing it. It's just that the occasional irrational mood swing is a pretty well known phenomenon for solo travellers and is nothing to be worried about as long as you are able to rationalise it.

Just thought the Red Kite chap ought to know it's a possibility.

Guest JudgeMental
crinklystarfish - 2012-04-21 5:04 PM
JudgeMental - 2012-04-21 10:28 AMBlimey.....If that dont put John off.

Didn't mean to dissuade because it's a superb experience and I keep doing it. It's just that the occasional irrational mood swing is a pretty well known phenomenon for solo travellers and is nothing to be worried about as long as you are able to rationalise it.

Just thought the Red Kite chap ought to know it's a possibility.
That was a joke!lol and I'm in total agreement, what you say makes absolute sense.......but I am new to this and as I said earlier (touch wood) really enjoying things and pleasantly surprised. it would be entirely different if stuck on a deserted God forsaken Aire in France, with the rain lashing down unable to cycle, swim etc.....obviously if not in a good frame of mind at onset, you may run the risk of not enjoying it, but I think this unlikely and have always found travel liberating and leave my concerns at home.......Most will be absolutely fine and wonder what the hell they were fretting about.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Just back from threemonths in France ,Spain, Belguim and Holland. I have been travelling with a dog or this time two dogs for hte last ten years. I am used to travelling alone because in my working life I have been a Photographer and laterly owned a Truck Business. I use Aires Car parks and Campsites. Just make sure you secure all your doors maybe with ratchet straps on wild sites. I have had no problems but that may be due to very keen ears of dogs. The only thing I find is the French Customs stop me at least once per trip but I greet them as friends and they dont give me any grief!

Just do it.

Regards

The Pink Elephant

Big Momma - 2012-04-21 8:16 PM

Read this blog www.steve-dowdeswell.blogspot.com

If that does not give you inspiration as a lone traveller then nothing will

:-D

I apologise for posting O/T but a question I’ve always asked and never found an answer: Is there any way that a blog like the one here can be read in chronological order, rather than always going up and down in a manner that makes no sense? Thanks.

Archived