Long term travelling

Merle

So many good points, a lot I haven't even considered, like cabin fever. Only yesterday I fitted a Pozzani water filter and that seems excellent. For any one interested they are on offer at the moment, a snidge over £30.00 including a tap. One other question, I assume you guys book your return ferry trips before you go, do you book the return journey to the day and time or do they allow some lee way? So many questions and thoughts, you really have got me thinking now, may even have to bring that retirement forward, ah bliss!!  Dave

We did jan,feb,and part of march in Spain this year,next winter from oct-march13.booking boats we only book one way then go onto internet to book the return When you are coming back that way you come back when you wish to come back.

Guest JudgeMental

we are only away for 6 weeks, and don't really get the cabin fever. As long as weather decent and plenty to see and do don't see a problem. Most of life carry's on outside in the fresh air. when we first arrived IF the wind blew in evening it could be cutting, we will bring an awning next time....

6.30pm and sitting in swimming trunks after a swim...what would I be doing at home :-S

As we are coming for a longer period next year, I question all the long stayers about weather and I dont think it changes that much...obviously we are nearly into May now and things are improving but early 20's fine by me, to hot last few days *-)

I think that the majority of Fulltimers and Long Termers tend to just book the outward journey. Dependent on what your touring itinerary is, you may not wish to return via the same Port so leaving your options open is always a good idea. Remember that travelling in 'Low' or 'Off Peak' seasons is always going to be better than trying to compete for availability and space with the 'Peak Season holiday brigade'.

Another thought, which has been discussed on here previously, if you are a frequent reader of books then have you got, or considered getting, an Amazon 3G Kindle. As well as being an E-Book reader which will hold thousands of books (hence a great space saving bit of kit) the 3G version also gives 'FREE' access to the Internet, either via Wireless or mobile phone technology. On that you can browse the Internet (Ferry booking perhaps !) or check your Emails. DON'T use them for personal banking though as they are not secure !!

pelmetman - 2012-04-22 12:10 PM
fairweather camper - 2012-04-22 10:59 AMHi All I am thinking of doing the same next winter and was hoping the issues raised would be answered, but all have been about sites, can anyone answer the other queries, ie: Insurance (home and van), medication, how do you get it for 3/4 months etc.Thanks Val
That's a good point Val ;-).................I have to take Ramapril BP tablets and just getting 2 months worth out of our quacks is like getting blood out of a stone *-)...................this time I'm going to ask how much they are to buy over the counter in Spain as I have to the pay full prescription charge anyway.................you never know they might even work out cheaper :D...................If that's the case I'll buy a years worth and smuggle them back to Blighty (lol)

Ramapril 5mg X 30 =E11.81 on prescription only, doctors visit = E25 to obtain Ordinance (Prescription) in France. Save your receipts!

Guest pelmetman
Retread24800 - 2012-04-23 6:36 PM
pelmetman - 2012-04-22 12:10 PM
fairweather camper - 2012-04-22 10:59 AMHi All I am thinking of doing the same next winter and was hoping the issues raised would be answered, but all have been about sites, can anyone answer the other queries, ie: Insurance (home and van), medication, how do you get it for 3/4 months etc.Thanks Val
That's a good point Val ;-).................I have to take Ramapril BP tablets and just getting 2 months worth out of our quacks is like getting blood out of a stone *-)...................this time I'm going to ask how much they are to buy over the counter in Spain as I have to the pay full prescription charge anyway.................you never know they might even work out cheaper :D...................If that's the case I'll buy a years worth and smuggle them back to Blighty (lol)

Ramapril 5mg X 30 =E11.81 on prescription only, doctors visit = E25 to obtain Ordinance (Prescription) in France. Save your receipts!

Oh well *-)...................looks like they're cheaper in the UK with the prescription ;-)................. need to start building up a stock, or change our quacks *-)

Archived